What will we do about the Oline?

theJ

34 minutes ago, Beck Bristow said:

I'm a little concerned the plan is for Carman to start at left guard and there to be a competition between Smith, Johnson,  Prince and Adeneji for right tackle. So clearly, I'm not willing to give this team any faith in doing the right thing. 

I just can’t see that happening. I could see 1 spot at LG up for grabs. 

1 hour ago, ochocinco4pres said:

This is how I feel. I think Carman will be in a competition with either another draft pick or a low cost FA for the LG spot. I do think they sign Daryl Williams or Collins 

I have a bad feeling NE is gonna get Collins. I think Daryl Williams is definitely in play. 

7 hours ago, Johnny Nix said:

I have a bad feeling NE is gonna get Collins. I think Daryl Williams is definitely in play. 

Honestly, at this point give me Tretter and pencil a competition for RT with Smith and all the backups.  I groom Carman for wherever I see him long term, but with limited expectations for this year.  When an injury inevitably pops up, move him in and sort the other guys out.

Use the remaining money on up to 3 CBs.  My plan has always been Donte Jackson, Eli Apple and Tre Flowers, for a few mill over what I get back by cutting Waynes.  Grab a vet TE and head to the draft.  We have 8 picks, so be open to either moving up or back for guys you really covet.

In the draft, I target 1 CB (or more if we don't get three in free agency), 1-2 WRs, a safety, at least 1 DT if not 2, plus another OL.  Not even sure what else we need on the roster, unless they plan to somehow stash the late round picks.  I also dangle #31 to a team looking to jump Detroit for a QB, if that even exists.

so something like.....

31 traded for an early 2 and early 3

2a  DT like the Oklahoma kid

2b  Marcus Jones CB (with return ability)

3a  Calvin Austin slot CB (also with return ability)

3b Alec Pierce (the perfect complementary 4th WR)

4  Isaiah Likely TE

5.  Safety (because I try to also extend Bates after we know what's left

6.  developmental OT if the team is ready to move on from any of the backup guys like Adeniji or F Johnson

7. LB

7b  DT

I want to sign Tretter and trade for Collins. That would fix the O-line for 2022 and into the future. Hopefully at least 1 or 2 of Jackson, Smith, Hill, Adeniji, Johnson and Prince work hard on their bodies this offseason then work hard on their techniques and assignments in training camp. That would give us not only improved starters but some decent depth. 

I'd hoped we would have brought in Jeff Gladney but he's signed with Arizona. He was a first round pick for the Vikings in 2020 and started 15 games, then missed all of last year with legal issues which are now resolved in his favor. 

In the draft we should be looking for a future starting CB, backup DT, future starting TE, possible future starting S, backup WR, and maybe an RB upgrade from Perrine and a punter. Araiza intrigues me and if his hands are good and he gets his punts off quickly we should try to draft him. 

Maybe something like 

round 1 CB

round 2 S

round 3 TE

round 4 traded for Collins

round 5 Araiza

round 6 WR/KR

round 7 BPA

1 minute ago, sparky151 said:

Why? We have a need and cap space so we should be interested in him. Why wouldn't he be interested in us?

We may and he may. I honestly think it is more a mindset of our coaching staff. They drafted Carman last year and fixed 2 of the interior spots. They may feel good about a competition at LG involving Carman rather than spend on Tretter and him being a bench guy. At the same time we don't know Tretter's price. Is he on the Jansen level of contract? 

3 hours ago, ochocinco4pres said:

We may and he may. I honestly think it is more a mindset of our coaching staff. They drafted Carman last year and fixed 2 of the interior spots. They may feel good about a competition at LG involving Carman rather than spend on Tretter and him being a bench guy. At the same time we don't know Tretter's price. Is he on the Jansen level of contract? 

That's called anchoring bias and the fallacy of the sunk cost. Yes, they used a 2nd round pick on Carman. That doesn't mean he was worthy of it or showed last year that he's ready to be a starter. I wouldn't want to bet Burrow's health on Carman. If he has a much better season in 2022, then great, we have more depth. 

No idea what Tretter is asking but he was scheduled to make 8.2 mil this year. He'll likely want a raise but given his age I doubt he gets top tier money. I'd bet 9 mil per year would get it done.

1 minute ago, Johnny Nix said:

This is definitely the move. Comes down to money at this point. 

I would have traded for him. His Dallas contract had no more guaranteed money, the 10 mil per year is reasonable, and we wouldn't have to compete for his services.

3 minutes ago, sparky151 said:

I would have traded for him. His Dallas contract had no more guaranteed money, the 10 mil per year is reasonable, and we wouldn't have to compete for his services.

Me too but Dallas probably wanted the pick to equal the worth of the 10 million they save by cutting him. If they would have traded him it would have only saved them a million or so. Clearly no one wanted to give up more than a mid to late pick.