theJ

Tier 1 Starters

LT - Jonah Williams
LG - TBD
C - Ted Karras 
RG - Alex Cappa
RT - La'el Collins

Tier 2 Guys who will be on the team next year, 

Jackson Carman, D'ante Smith, two most likely to get a shot at left guard, but will definitely be here if healthy. 

Tuer 3 Guys under team control that might make it as reserves.

Hakeem Adeneji, Fred Johnson, Isaiah Prince,  Trey Hill 

Tier 4 Recent members of the team that could reasonably be brought back. 

Trey Hopkins, Quinton Spain, Riley Reiff 

So basically if they carry nine, that's three spots. Will be interesting to see what happens. I honestly hope they bring back Spain.  I think we're super week on the interior in reserve, especially if Carman starts, so it wouldbe nice to havesome insurance. I have zero faith in Hill, and that's the entire list. All those other guys, except Smith potentially, are tackles only and maybe not even that. I assume we again add at least one draft pick on the line this year, but I would take Hopkins and Reiff back over any of those tier 3 guys.

10 hours ago, Beck Bristow said:

Tier 1 Starters

LT - Jonah Williams
LG - TBD
C - Ted Karras 
RG - Alex Cappa
RT - La'el Collins

Tier 2 Guys who will be on the team next year, 

Jackson Carman, D'ante Smith, two most likely to get a shot at left guard, but will definitely be here if healthy. 

Tuer 3 Guys under team control that might make it as reserves.

Hakeem Adeneji, Fred Johnson, Isaiah Prince,  Trey Hill 

Tier 4 Recent members of the team that could reasonably be brought back. 

Trey Hopkins, Quinton Spain, Riley Reiff 

So basically if they carry nine, that's three spots. Will be interesting to see what happens. I honestly hope they bring back Spain.  I think we're super week on the interior in reserve, especially if Carman starts, so it wouldbe nice to havesome insurance. I have zero faith in Hill, and that's the entire list. All those other guys, except Smith potentially, are tackles only and maybe not even that. I assume we again add at least one draft pick on the line this year, but I would take Hopkins and Reiff back over any of those tier 3 guys.

Of the three Hopkins is the one I'd look to bring back.  He could back up all three interior spots.

reiff is probably retiring.  Not sure what the market is for Spain.  I'm fine with letting Carfman and Smith battle it out.  Put the money for a guy like Spain into a Bates extension or another vet CB.

23 hours ago, INbengalfan said:

Of the three Hopkins is the one I'd look to bring back.  He could back up all three interior spots.

reiff is probably retiring.  Not sure what the market is for Spain.  I'm fine with letting Carfman and Smith battle it out.  Put the money for a guy like Spain into a Bates extension or another vet CB.

I do think they like Smith well enough for him to be their third tackle and Johnson, Adeneji and Prince try to stick as the 4th. If he's your left guard, that's less great.

I don't like Hopkins anywhere but center. He and Spain can both come back on cheap deals. 

3 hours ago, sparky151 said:

Fred Johnson was tendered last week for about 2.4 mil, then signed to a 1 year contract today, then released. He still has to clear waivers. Presumably the team and player agreed to a contract that would be friendly to Fred. 

I think this is the kind of stuff outside my understanding 

1 hour ago, Beck Bristow said:

Ok, so they tendered him, then once they got Collins, they didn't want him, so they released him. Odd.

What if I told you Tre Flowers was projected to get somewhere around 2.5 mill per in free agency.  Does it make a little more sense?

Fred Johnson is a bubble guy who should be playing for the minimum, not 2.4 mil. Assuming he clears waivers, he would become a free agent and can sign a new deal on whatever terms a team will give him. Until he clears waivers, he could be claimed if anyone wants him for 2.4 mil.

If the team needs 2 mil for Flowers, Brandon Wilson might be the place to get it.