What will we do about the Oline?

theJ

Agreed we'll be fine at TE whether we sign another vet or not. We still need a couple more vet O-linemen before Burrow is safe. None of last year's rookies or this year's rookies should be starting in front of Joe. If they set money aside for CJ, use it for O-linemen. We can get a good TE prospect in round 2 or 3. If we budgeted say 7 mil for Uzomah, take that money and the 6 we get from cutting Hopkins and sign Bozeman or Moses or trade for Collins. 

• Like 1

Yeah, Tretter would be an excellent signing. PFF ranked him 6th of 40 centers. He would have made 8.2 mil on his deal with the Browns so he probably isn't looking for much more than that. Give him 9 mil, cut Hopkins to save 6 and trade for Collins. Tretter and Collins wouldn't figure in the comp pick formula next year either. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, sparky151 said:

Yeah, Tretter would be an excellent signing. PFF ranked him 6th of 40 centers. He would have made 8.2 mil on his deal with the Browns so he probably isn't looking for much more than that. Give him 9 mil, cut Hopkins to save 6 and trade for Collins. Tretter and Collins wouldn't figure in the comp pick formula next year either. 

I dont know how realistic that scenario is, but I want it

3 hours ago, Johnny Nix said:

This Collins thing is driving me nuts. Like wtf are we doing. Just send them a 5th at this point

Dallas may want to just release him to get the cap savings this year and the Bengals may not want to give up a day 2 pick.

Collins raves about Pollack, Pollack likes Collins, Collins and Mixon share an agent. We have a decent shot at being a front runner if he is released, then we could get him without giving up any picks.

19 minutes ago, THE DUKE said:

Dallas may want to just release him to get the cap savings this year and the Bengals may not want to give up a day 2 pick.

Collins raves about Pollack, Pollack likes Collins, Collins and Mixon share an agent. We have a decent shot at being a front runner if he is released, then we could get him without giving up any picks.

Maybe, but I'd rather have him for three years at 10 million and 100% cuttable if it goes sideways. I mean, there are other ok options at right tackle, but Collins is clearly the best player out there.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, THE DUKE said:

I may be alone in this, but I don't think we're screwed if we go into 2022 with Drew Sample as TE1 and a draft pick as TE2. Given a starting role I think we get 80-90% of Uzomah's on field production with better run blocking from Sample.

I think you’re overrating Sample’s receiving ability and underrating Uzomah’s. 

Sample shouldn’t be doing anything besides blocking.

5 hours ago, SmittyBacall said:

I think you’re overrating Sample’s receiving ability and underrating Uzomah’s. 

Sample shouldn’t be doing anything besides blocking.

What Uzomah did last year translates to 31 receiving yards a game and a TD in 1 in every 3.2 games, I think his receiving ability got a little over rated from a few big catches and a big personality

3 hours ago, THE DUKE said:

What Uzomah did last year translates to 31 receiving yards a game and a TD in 1 in every 3.2 games, I think his receiving ability got a little over rated from a few big catches and a big personality

He was also 4th option in the passing offense so his numbers were never going to be great. My point is the skills were there. He was a reliable option who became Burrow’s favourite on third down. When Sample was slotted into that role after Uzomah went down there was a significant drop off. 

15 minutes ago, SmittyBacall said:

He was also 4th option in the passing offense so his numbers were never going to be great. My point is the skills were there. He was a reliable option who became Burrow’s favourite on third down. When Sample was slotted into that role after Uzomah went down there was a significant drop off. 

I won't say Sample is the receiver Uzomah is, but he also had a very limited sample size.  In 2020 in only 13 starts in a dumpster fire of a season in which Burrow missed half of he put up 71% of the yards Uzomah put up in 2021 in 16 starts.  Only 1 TD, but we had all sorts of issues that year, even before burrow went down.  If Sample gets 16 starts this year in this offense as option 5, I wouldn't be shocked if he had 450-500 yards receiving and 3-5 TD's.