Rodgers reportedly coming back

Arthur Penske

Details on this are going to be important.  

How long?
How much is guaranteed?
What type of signing bonus vs roster/base salary?
How much flexibility will GB have for future years?

I feel like reserving judgement on the situation is reasonable.  

The reports of a 4 year $200M extension with $153 guaranteed is hard to grasp

4 minutes ago, {Family Ghost} said:

Yeah .. sure seems that he thinks he might have an out of some sort.  Maybe Love takes a massive jump this year and we actually get a crack at trading Rodgers in 2023.  

Got to give it up.  Think Anonymous has a pretty good handle on the situation.  There is no way the Packers are going to trade Rodgers.  Just not going to happen.  We will sink or swim with Aaron until he retires.  There is now a high likelihood Love will be traded this offseason.  Some team will have to make a decent offer and I'd say the chances of that are pretty good.  

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

It's seems notable that Rodgers has gone out of his way to clarify he's back THIS year. He clearly emphasized that in a couple ways.  We might be very premature in our thinking of what is happening.

This ^
That THIS has me wondering as well.
My concept of what's going down is gonna change dramatically if this deal is some short term, full of holes thing.

7 minutes ago, Leader said:

This ^
That THIS has me wondering as well.
My concept of what's going down is gonna change dramatically if this deal is some short term, full of holes thing.

Ian RapSheet normally gets his Packers news spot on

I think Aaron has verbally agreed to an extension 

3 minutes ago, FAH1223 said:

I think Aaron has verbally agreed to an extension 

Oh - I'm sure he's agreed to an extension. How long it is and how "locked in" it makes him is what I'm wondering. I dont feel like paying the guy a boat load of guaranteed $$$ up front only to relive the "I might leave" crap again.

Edited by Leader

14 minutes ago, Leader said:

Oh - I'm sure he's agreed to an extension. How long it is and how "locked in" it makes him is what I'm wondering. I dont feel like paying the guy a boat load of guaranteed $$$ up front only to relive the "I might leave" crap again.

There must be some sort of contract extension.  If Rodgers was on our books for $45.6 million this year, I doubt we would have used the franchise tag on Adams.  But stranger things have happened.

16 minutes ago, minnypackerfan said:

There must be some sort of contract extension.  If Rodgers was on our books for $45.6 million this year, I doubt we would have used the franchise tag on Adams.  But stranger things have happened.

I absolutely think they would have used the tag on Adams.

As for Rodgers, I'm afraid they just took his 19 million and change salary this year and converted it and spread it out over 4 years. 

That would mean he's a free agent next off season. 

Edited by Old Guy

4 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

Makes me think we took his 19 million in salary and coverted as much of it as possible. Meaning he can walk next off season.

That's what I posted as a possibility earlier.  Rodgers agrees to play for GB in 2022.  Details of contract TBD.

Could be extension as reported. 

Could be Convert 2022 base to signing bonus with the rest flipped to void years or 2023 roster bonus, but is guaranteed at start of league year.  Drops the 2022 cap charge,, but gives Rodgers flexibility if he wants to leave in 2023.

Adams Could play on the tag and be year to year as well.

GB is stuck trying to get under the cap from other players contract adjustments. 

About worst case scenario 

These talks have been going on all year. Pathways to being competitive and remaining relevant in the face of the "cap issue" are well known between the parties to be. I think Rodgers does give up some money, and it is cap friendly. That money he gives up goes to Adams on a long term deal... The Packers were waiting to see what the decision would be and now the dominoes are about to fall. That being said I believe they knew along which way he was leaning, and decided to ride it out and make it happen. The whole "Adams doesn't want the tag" while true is not how he enters the season. He may be tagged to keep him on the roster before the new league year, but both his extension and Rodgers extension will be known before the new league year. Cap relief will be created, pushing money into years where the cap is set to rise a good level, and the 2022 Green Bay Packers will field a competitive super bowl contending team. Cheers to a good day party people! 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, squire12 said:

That's what I posted as a possibility earlier.  Rodgers agrees to play for GB in 2022.  Details of contract TBD.

Could be extension as reported. 

Could be Convert 2022 base to signing bonus with the rest flipped to void years or 2023 roster bonus, but is guaranteed at start of league year.  Drops the 2022 cap charge,, but gives Rodgers flexibility if he wants to leave in 2023.

Adams Could play on the tag and be year to year as well.

GB is stuck trying to get under the cap from other players contract adjustments. 

About worst case scenario 

We would've traded him if that's what he wanted IMO.