Colts trade QB Carson Wentz + 2nd to Commanders for 2nd + two 3rds

RaidersAreOne

1 minute ago, ET80 said:

Oh, I get that - but this ain’t about him anymore, it’s about buying time for Malik Willis to get ready.

Carson Wentz has his chance, and blew it with two different franchises. The NFL is a fast and nasty *****, and if you can’t keep up - you’re out.

This is it for him, there are no other opportunities.

Another team that reportedly likes Willis just acquired the #9 pick, 2 ahead of Washington, and has the ammo to move up while Washington just lost some move up ammunition. Also, the Giants, who will not trade with Washington for a QB, own the 5 and 7 picks, which eliminates 2 trade up opportunities for them. Lots of conjecture, but if Washington's plans involve Malik Willis, they are going to have a bad time.

• Like 1

Eh.

Initial thoughts on this is if there's anything to be squeezed out of Wentz, then I'm all for it. I'm all for the competition and if we all think that none of the QBs are ready to go right away in the draft, this is fine. Frankly I'm more okay with the compensation for Wentz and 28 million isn't a horrible number overall for the contract.

They tried, but the market wasn't there. I still think a QB is going to be drafted, but it may just end up being a second rounder. I think Howell fits well and being in the second round you don't need to feel pressured to have him take the field next season immediately, and you can fill another hole.

TLDR: Not ideal, but not the worst.

So to recap:

The colts sent a 2021 3rd round pick and a 2022 conditional 2nd round pick to Philly for Carson Wentz. Because the conditions were met, that 2nd round pick is now Philly's 2022 1st round pick.

They then traded Carson Wentz to Washington for two 3rd-round picks.

So basically they spent a 1st round pick to get ONE YEAR out of Carson Wentz. I'm just.....wow. WOW. lol.

6 minutes ago, ET80 said:

Oh, I get that - but this ain’t about him anymore, it’s about buying time for Malik Willis to get ready.

Carson Wentz has his chance, and blew it with two different franchises. The NFL is a fast and nasty *****, and if you can’t keep up - you’re out.

This is it for him, there are no other opportunities.

If that were the case ET, you don't waste $28M and two 3rds for a 1 year place holder for Malik Willis to get ready when you could of just started Taylor Heinicke again in 2022.

Edited by Nabbs4u
  • Like 2

Just now, minutemancl said:

Another team that reportedly likes Willis just acquired the #9 pick, 2 ahead of Washington, and has the ammo to move up while Washington just lost some move up ammunition. Also, the Giants, who will not trade with Washington for a QB, own the 5 and 7 picks, which eliminates 2 trade up opportunities for them. Lots of conjecture, but if Washington's plans involve Malik Willis, they are going to have a bad time.

On the other hand - that same team at 1.9 is having exploratory conversations with Nick Caserio and the Texans: