What would you do with Derek Carr?

NYRaider

What would you do with Carr?  

25 members have voted

1. 1. Carr?

• Ask him to play out the final year
    • Trade him
    • Extend him

• Ask him to play out the final year of his deal? If so what would he have to do for you to extend him and what would you offer him?

• Trade him? Where and for what? Who would your ideal starter be next year?

• Extend him? Terms you'd feel good about?

We can let him play out his contract and franchise him next year with the non-exclusive.  The tag cost $30 million this year and will probably come in around $33-35 the year after.  I would let this play out before giving Carr a $40 per extension.

• Like 1

Only because it’s such a weak QB draft class but I would extend him two years. So that means he’d be under contract 2022, 2023, and 2024. I would draft a QB in the 2023 draft and sit him on the bench for a year. I would trade Carr after the 2023 season for a 1st Round Pick (unless he is performing like a Top 5-6 QB, which is not gonna happen). 

Therefore, Carr is our starter the next two seasons, while we groom a young guy for one of those seasons. 

And I don’t care what anyone says. I would be aggressive in the 2023 Draft. I would trade multiple 1sts to move up and select a QB. You have to be aggressive and gamble in this league. Period. Carr is not a long term solution, and some have blinders on. 

Edited by BayRaider
  • Like 1

I’d extend him. However, I’d be open to listening to teams offers, so I’d be in no hurry to do it. A giant, blockbuster trade package would have to take place to get me to budge.

QB is the most important position and Carr is a really good QB. I think a deal like what Wilson would get me to move. No, I don’t think he’s as valuable as Russ, but a desperate team does silly things…

• Like 2

Let him play out this year and see how he fits with McDaniels. Then extend him if he has a better year with higher red zone TD %. I don't like the thought of giving out extensions with a whole new staff. Need to see how everything meshes together.

• Like 2

Of course I picked trade IF we can get a similar haul like sea. I have blind faith that this new regime can draft well and I’d like to see them build our roster their way. Also not looking so good with wrs in fa or the draft. Hard to make carr happy without a legit wr. Too many holes to fill. Grudock jacked up our roster. 

While my vote would be extend, I would certainly have my phone open for trade offers. How could you not? You have three Top 6-7 QB’s in the NFL in the division, with the Chiefs and Broncos having great rosters. Chiefs/Broncos have a prime Super Bowl window the next few years. 

While we don’t need to enter rebuild mode, if someone offered a haul for Carr like two 1sts and a 2nd, I’d gladly take it. Draft and groom a QB. Start someone like Mariota a year. Wait out the Broncos/Chiefs Super Bowl window, which will close within 2-3 years. By the time their window closes, we have a super stacked roster. 

Edited by BayRaider

1 minute ago, BayRaider said:

While my vote would be extend, I would certainly have my phone open for trade offers. How could you not? You have three Top 6-7 QB’s in the NFL in the division, with the Chiefs and Broncos having great rosters. Chiefs/Broncos have a prime Super Bowl window the next few years. 

While we don’t need to enter rebuild mode, if someone offered a haul for Carr like two 1sts and a 2nd, I’d gladly take it. Draft and groom a QB. Start someone like Mariota a year. Wait out the Broncos/Chiefs Super Bowl window, which will close within 2-3 years. 

Mahomes is 26, Herbert is 23 and Wilson is 33. Their windows are open as long as these QBs are there.

Build up the defense to compete. Let Carr compete with these guys and see what happens. Draft a QB to groom under Carr if anything.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, big_palooka said:

Mahomes is 26, Herbert is 23 and Wilson is 33. Their windows are open as long as these QBs are there.

Build up the defense to compete. Let Carr compete with these guys and see what happens. Draft a QB to groom under Carr if anything.

When QB’s get paid, the longer duration that goes by, the worse the roster gets. Happens to all of them. 

Brady is the only one who always took 35-40% discounts regularly to be competitive. Most SB Champion teams are Tom Brady or a Stud QB on a rookie contract. 

2 minutes ago, BayRaider said:

When QB’s get paid, the longer duration that goes by, the worse the roster gets. Happens to all of them. 

Brady is the only one who always took 35-40% discounts regularly to be competitive. Most SB Champion teams are Tom Brady or a Stud QB on a rookie contract. 

We've covered this previously. This narrative is tired. As long as Mahomes, Herbert and Wilson are on top of their games, those teams have a shot at the playoffs. The best QBs in the game generally make the playoffs every year. 

Just now, big_palooka said:

We've covered this previously. This narrative is tired. As long as Mahomes, Herbert and Wilson are on top of their games, those teams have a shot at the playoffs. The best QBs in the game generally make the playoffs every year. 

Playoffs is a lot different than Super Bowl contender. There is probably only about six of those out of the 14 playoff teams. Everyone has a chance, and every once in a great blue moon some team will get hot, but that is rare. The fact of the matter is a stacked roster, with a young great QB not eating salary cap, is the most competitive roster you can possibly have. Like I said, Tom Brady, or a QB on a Rookie Contract always wins the Super Bowl usually. Last year the Rams did break the norm by going “All In” like a baseball team, which worked out for them. But starting in 2023 (not this season), they will likely be a 10-7 wildcard team at best most years, as they have really hampered their future. 

For me right now I think a 2 year extension would be best. 
Depending on offseason, I want to extend Maxx first, and then potentially increase Carr cap hit this year, and have 2023 lower with 2024 high. (ideally non gauranteed)

This would give us cap room in 2023 to be aggressive.
Carr may not want it, but potentially sell him on the idea that we have money to spend in 2023 and if we make playoffs, 2024 he will get his money (from us or someone else). 

Maxx we can hopefully put his contract with big values later on. But its tough to predict things, as one domino changes everything.
Id give Maxx a big guarantee which should help keep total money down (within reason). 

24 minutes ago, BackinBlack said:

For me right now I think a 2 year extension would be best. 
Depending on offseason, I want to extend Maxx first, and then potentially increase Carr cap hit this year, and have 2023 lower with 2024 high. (ideally non gauranteed)

This would give us cap room in 2023 to be aggressive.
Carr may not want it, but potentially sell him on the idea that we have money to spend in 2023 and if we make playoffs, 2024 he will get his money (from us or someone else). 

Maxx we can hopefully put his contract with big values later on. But its tough to predict things, as one domino changes everything.
Id give Maxx a big guarantee which should help keep total money down (within reason). 

I would love a short extension with flexibility, but honestly I think the shorter it is the more guaranteed it is going to be and give us way less flexibility in terms of an early out. Basically like a Cousins contract. 

Edited by FloydFan