2022 Free Agent Frenzy

Forge

8 hours ago, N4L said:

@49erscap correct me if I am wrong, but aren't base salaries paid out over 40 weeks now instead of just weeks with games? 

If that's the case, then it makes sense deebo lives in Florida during the off-season because he will earn income in Florida rather than CA 

@pwny is that how it works? I remember reading something that players have to file different tax returns in different states depending on which road games they play, which sounds absurd, but also very American 

Where did you see the 40 weeks thing? It's over 18 weeks, in season. 

1 hour ago, Forge said:

Wha???

This is my issue with Spotrac, they're horrible, how do any of those, outside of Kupp deserve more than Deebo? 

24 minutes ago, adamq said:

They are always way off. Brad Spielberger dunks on them often for it

They like to copy OTC's numbers, they did it years back with my website(NCH) at time.

Edited by 49erscap
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, 49erscap said:
12 hours ago, N4L said:

@49erscap correct me if I am wrong, but aren't base salaries paid out over 40 weeks now instead of just weeks with games? 

If that's the case, then it makes sense deebo lives in Florida during the off-season because he will earn income in Florida rather than CA 

@pwny is that how it works? I remember reading something that players have to file different tax returns in different states depending on which road games they play, which sounds absurd, but also very American 

Where did you see the 40 weeks thing? It's over 18 weeks, in season. 

I think it was part of the newest cba. I remember reading that base salaries get paid over a longer period to help guys budget a bit more. Some guys were starving during the off-season

I will look into it

• Like 1

13 hours ago, N4L said:

I think it was part of the newest cba. I remember reading that base salaries get paid over a longer period to help guys budget a bit more. Some guys were starving during the off-season

I will look into it

That is so insane. I mean I could probably do it, but you have to really try to blow through that kind of money I feel like.

• Like 2

On 4/8/2022 at 3:22 PM, N4L said:

There’s a handful of states that have exceptions because they work together, and it’s more complicated than I want to get into explaining one week before the end of tax season, but generally you pay taxes based on where you are when you *earned* the wages. If you go on the road and work with a client for your job in another state, unless you’ve very particular about how you do things (and sometimes its unavoidable), you owe taxes in that state, even if the company you’re working for doesn’t have a true presence in that other state. 

The actual answer to your question depends on how the NFL is dealing with corporate tax laws that are above my pay grade and stuff I wouldn’t deal with because of simply just how different that professional sports pay schedule is from any other entity in the country. But theoretically, if things are the way that you’re making the assumption for this point, I would assume that almost all the additional 19 weeks are still when they’re required to be at team facilities for training camp, OTAs, preseason, etc. At that point, they’d likely be considered to be earning the money wherever the team is hosting those activities and likely have to pay them for that state, not where they live. I think this is likely how it works, but I’m not 100% on it.

If they get paid during time that they’re not at team facilities, it’s possible they get taxed in whatever state they’re doing the related “work” for the paycheck. But I can’t imagine that’s more than maybe 5 paychecks; at which point we’re talking like a difference in his pay rate on about 13% of his paychecks impacted, and like 13% of his pay on those checks, for like 1.7% of a net income difference; ~$68k this upcoming year.

tl;dr: it’s probably not going to be enough money to be worth that hassle. Ask me again in a year and a half after I finish getting licensed to practice tax law and have a full understanding of the absurd parts of high end corporate tax law and I might have a different answer for you.

I’d also be cautious in assuming any of this because I’m fairly certain that NFL contracts are built as divisions of games in the season, not as straight salary, so they may just be splitting checks up more rather than *paying for other activities* in which case it wouldn’t change anything. But like I said, I don’t have enough knowledge of sports contracts and multibillion dollar corporate tax law to know how they do these divisions.

• Like 3

Listening to the Locked on Podcast, I was pretty intrigued by what Crock was saying. He was talking about how he felt like Deebo was changing and was giving off a different sort of vibe...and then I go back to what Allbright was saying last year. 

41 minutes ago, Forge said:

Listening to the Locked on Podcast, I was pretty intrigued by what Crock was saying. He was talking about how he felt like Deebo was changing and was giving off a different sort of vibe...and then I go back to what Allbright was saying last year. 

What kind of vibe? I did not listen to the podcast.

58 minutes ago, Forge said:

Of course he is changing...He's about to change his and his family's life with this contract. 

Dude wants to get paid, that's all it is. I just don't know why he expects a deal to get done right now when Kittle/Warner both got it either just before the start of training camp or during it. He needs to be a bit more patient. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Of course he is changing...He's about to change his and his family's life with this contract. 

Dude wants to get paid, that's all it is. I just don't know why he expects a deal to get done right now when Kittle/Warner both got it either just before the start of training camp or during it. He needs to be a bit more patient. 

The tone makes me feel like Crocker was maybe saying that he's being a little bit of a ******. 

• Like 3

Just now, Forge said:

The tone makes me feel like Crocker was maybe saying that he's being a little bit of a ******. 

Which I can understand as he bailed us out many times this year BUT like Guy and John mentioned. That year 2 where he came in out of shape then was just injury prone the whole year still lingers in my head.....

• Like 3

Timing wise, it’s unfortunate that Deebo did what he did. Scrubbing his social media, etc. but he knows we can’t extend him at the immediate with Jimmy on the roster. I still think Jimmy either gets traded/cut during the draft. Once that’s done he will get his bag. Clearly I think he will be compensated properly, but I do have my concerns like some mentioned about 2020. 

On a side note, we have to get rid of Jimmy or extend someone to even sign our rookies, right? 

10 minutes ago, NcFinest9erFan said:

Which I can understand as he bailed us out many times this year BUT like Guy and John mentioned. That year 2 where he came in out of shape then was just injury prone the whole year still lingers in my head.....

If the target aav is 25M (which is a complete guess just based on the IG post) then I have to imagine the difference is the guaranteed money. 25m aav shouldn't be that big of a deal all things considered. 

• Like 2