QB #3 is wide open. Kyle Allen will not be tendered.

MikeT14

Don’t count him out.

Choosing not to tender him was probably partly a favor to him, in the sense that now he’s free to explore the market with no artificial restrictions to see if anyone wants to give him a shot. Even the lowest (right of first refusal) tender creates problems for lower level FAs, because teams don’t like to have to wait to see if the original team will match — there are other similar FAs out there who they can lock in immediately and move on. 

It’s also just a function of the fact that the lowest possible RFA tender is $2.54M this year, and the minimum salary for a 4-year player is $1.05M. If no market materializes for him, we could easily re-sign him for less than the lowest tender and save a few bucks. That’s important now that we have an expensive QB.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, naptownskinsfan said:

I am not sure a first, second or third round pick is off the table for us.  I can easily see TH getting moved and the team targeting Ridder or someone else and moving around the draft to acquire more picks.  

Yuck. If you like Ridder to draft him, then don’t trade a bunch of stuff for Wentz. Just go get Ridder. 

If you like Wentz enough to trade a bunch of stuff for him, then don’t draft Ridder. Just roll with Wentz. Especially because we have significant evidence at this point that Wentz can’t handle having a contender to his throne.

There continues to be this persistent narrative where they seem to value “quantity” at the QB position, and I just don’t get it. Go get the best guy available to you, and try it with him. If it doesn’t work, ditch him and try with someone else. 

Trying multiple guys at the same time is almost always a recipe for disaster. Russell Wilson and Matt Flynn is really the only time I can remember it turning out well for a team, and that’s because the talent gap was so tremendous (and immediately obvious). People will point to Cousins here, and I guess it’s a fair example — but I’ve always wondered what would have happened if the coaching staff hadn’t so quickly soured on RG3 because they thought Cousins was more ready. They bailed on him in a hurry, and I think having another option (that they preferred from the outset) was part of it. If they’d all been all-in on RG3, out of necessity, would they have found a way to make it work better? I don’t know, probably not, but I’ll always wonder. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, e16bball said:

Yuck. If you like Ridder to draft him, then don’t trade a bunch of stuff for Wentz. Just go get Ridder. 

If you like Wentz enough to trade a bunch of stuff for him, then don’t draft Ridder. Just roll with Wentz. Especially because we have significant evidence at this point that Wentz can’t handle having a contender to his throne.

There continues to be this persistent narrative where they seem to value “quantity” at the QB position, and I just don’t get it. Go get the best guy available to you, and try it with him. If it doesn’t work, ditch him and try with someone else. 

Trying multiple guys at the same time is almost always a recipe for disaster. Russell Wilson and Matt Flynn is really the only time I can remember it turning out well for a team, and that’s because the talent gap was so tremendous (and immediately obvious). People will point to Cousins here, and I guess it’s a fair example — but I’ve always wondered what would have happened if the coaching staff hadn’t so quickly soured on RG3 because they thought Cousins was more ready. They bailed on him in a hurry, and I think having another option (that they preferred from the outset) was part of it. If they’d all been all-in on RG3, out of necessity, would they have found a way to make it work better? I don’t know, probably not, but I’ll always wonder. 

It’s like playing the lottery.  We’ve literally tried it all during Snyder’s tenure to land a QB.  

1 hour ago, naptownskinsfan said:

I am not sure a first, second or third round pick is off the table for us.  I can easily see TH getting moved and the team targeting Ridder or someone else and moving around the draft to acquire more picks.  

I hope that if there is a qb they really like, such as ridder, and he falls to an appropriate location they still go after him.

But that would mean the Wentz trade was a huge mistake and they will have to figure out how to trade wentz before deadline or just walk away in a year.  If we do draft a qb like Ridder, I want him on the field as soon as he is capable.  I would rather design the offense to suit a rookie's limitations, rather than have them sit a year.

18 hours ago, Thaiphoon said:

Smart. We'd have had to cut him anyway. Now, fi he signs with another team, we might get a comp pick out of it

Nope, don't work that way . It's just like a cut- no comp pick if he wasn't tenderd . OR so I read in an article about the Rams not tendering Troy Reeder. 

Edited by RSkinGM

6 hours ago, RSkinGM said:

Nope, don't work that way . It's just like a cut- no comp pick if he wasn't tenderd . OR so I read in an article about the Rams not tendering Troy Reeder. 

Ah, that's right. Because he's technically still under contract as a RFA and will count as a cut if we don't tender.

You're right.

On 3/10/2022 at 4:03 PM, e16bball said:

Don’t count him out.

Choosing not to tender him was probably partly a favor to him, in the sense that now he’s free to explore the market with no artificial restrictions to see if anyone wants to give him a shot. Even the lowest (right of first refusal) tender creates problems for lower level FAs, because teams don’t like to have to wait to see if the original team will match — there are other similar FAs out there who they can lock in immediately and move on. 

It’s also just a function of the fact that the lowest possible RFA tender is $2.54M this year, and the minimum salary for a 4-year player is $1.05M. If no market materializes for him, we could easily re-sign him for less than the lowest tender and save a few bucks. That’s important now that we have an expensive QB.

I was going to say Kyle won’t be back until I read this, and then you changed my mind. You’re right, we can save $1.5 mil by signing him as an Unrestricted Free Agent instead of giving him the Restricted tender.

I think he’ll be back & I think he’ll be our #3 WR with a very outside chance that he’s consistent enough to beat out Heinicke for the back up job bc Allen has a stronger arm, plays more w/in the structure of the passing game & usually throws on rhythm but he can make some off schedule plays too. I’ll be shocked if they don’t re-sign him as an URFA.