Ravens sign S Marcus Williams (5 years, $70M, $37M gtd)

RaidersAreOne

8 minutes ago, Dome said:

I made a thread mid season saying I don’t want to re-sign him for top safety money… but wouldn’t mind keeping him outside of that 

elite ballhawk, can really stifle the deep passing game 

But he will be the worst tackler on the field at any given time, offense included

i think it says a lot that Saints are pursuing other players and the DC made HC didn’t tag him earlier to work on an extension.

Great player overall, but I didn’t really want him back at this price tag.

could go either way, he could change your defense or be overpaid  

13 minutes ago, JMG5 said:

In my opinion, you should be stoked. Dude is a true centerfielder. His tackling is questionable at times, but his ball skills and range are outstanding. 

THank you both for your input, I appreciate it. A true center fielder is definitely something we need, so I'm excited to see how he fits in with Tony Jefferson and Chuck Clark.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

THank you both for your input, I appreciate it. A true center fielder is definitely something we need, so I'm excited to see how he fits in with Tony Jefferson and Chuck Clark.

I think if you can keep him doing the thing he’s best at you’ll love him.

He won’t always show up on the stat sheet simply because the QB isn’t interested in throwing deep with Williams back there.

If other things start breaking down on defense and Marcus can’t just hang back and wait for the QB to mess up, he will be a liability. Typical one trick pony, if you can put him in a spot where he does his one trick over and over it should work out great.

Edited by Dome

Great ballhawk, but too one dimensional to get elite Safety money. I'm good with letting him walk for his asking price. Still pissed we kept him instead of Trey Hendrickson last season. I think Williams will be a good addition for Baltimore, but just expect these kinds of moments from time to time when he is asked to tackle:

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, tyler735 said:

Great ballhawk, but too one dimensional to get elite Safety money. I'm good with letting him walk for his asking price. Still pissed we kept him instead of Trey Hendrickson last season. I think Williams will be a good addition for Baltimore, but just expect these kinds of moments from time to time when he is asked to tackle:

lmao ew

3 hours ago, DefenseWinsChampionships said:

Great addition to Baltimore.

I give it an A+. 

May not be Ed Reed but he's imo the best ball hawking center fielding FS within the game today. His range is unreal and his I.Q. is rare. 

I'll take Byard over him all day, every day. 

1 hour ago, tyler735 said:

lawd.... this AND the Minneapolis Miracle to his name

It makes me think he HAS to be underrated as a player after these moments.

The Ravens locker room is certainly the type to remind him of these "highlights"

Edited by wackywabbit

4 hours ago, Ray Reed said:

Well hopefully he's learned to tackle marginally better since Minnesota lol

He hasn’t. He’s gotten worse. His psyche is broken every time he is 1v1 with the ball carrier. He will let you down. 

Man coverage skills are average to mediocre but he can line up on some lesser talents and hold his own fine.

But the guy is a monster at centerfield. His athleticism is sneaky and he can fool QBs into throwing passes they shouldn’t, or holding onto the ball when they should’ve made the pass. His presence will straight up change the offensive strategy of teams that don’t trust their own QB or deep game.

if he went to a bad team I think it would be totally wasted money because he would be getting exposed constantly.

I have faith in the ravens not to put him into bad spots too often. he’ll probably play similarly to how he did for the Saints. A bit too rich for me but not enough I can really call this out as an overpay.

• Like 1