Pre-draft tidbits

Louis Friend

2 minutes ago, Sllim Pickens said:

True, but McVay already hinted at retiring young, and that front office and coaching staff will continue to be picked apart.  Point is it takes a lot of things to go right and its hard to sustain in the NFL.  Even great QBs need help.  Mahomes was awful when his OL was bad and they didnt win.  Most teams have a 2/4 year run as contenders until contracts hinder the team.  Some teams always are hanging around the playoffs like the Steelers and Rams because of coaching but they aren't always true contenders for a SB. Even the Chiefs now will be interesting to see how they are now that Mahomes contract will limit their ability to sign talent around him.  

Again I like the Rams strategy, if you hit in the late part of the draft, and have solid starters for cheap, then you can spend on bigger stars to plug into holes.  But it would be even easier if they drafted in earlier rounds and got talent for longer on cheaper deals.  The Rams don't have any bad contracts like HIll or Adams just signed.  Or the QB contract isnt as damaging as Mahomes is. But sending a couple early picks for Miller and then losing him will hurt since those picks are now not impacting the team at all in a positive way. 

If we lose McVay, that'll obviously change things significantly. He's inarguably a top 5 HC and may even be the #2 HC in the NFL right now. He, more than anybody, has been the key to our success.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

If we lose McVay, that'll obviously change things significantly. He's inarguably a top 5 HC and may even be the #2 HC in the NFL right now. He, more than anybody, has been the key to our success.

Tell this to my NSFL team... 

2 hours ago, jrry32 said:

Whitworth is a tougher call. If Noteboom was healthy, I'd say we'd have been okay. But with him out, I'm not sure. Alaric Jackson was serviceable filling in for him earlier in the year, but Trey Hendrickson is a different beast. How many players on the Rams? I'd feel confident saying it about Stafford, Kupp, Ramsey, and Donald. That's about it.

The way you explained the razor-thin margins made me think any falloff would be an unrecoverable situation. I'm surprised you have more faith in relatively unproven backups and none in OBJ. 

On 3/25/2022 at 10:38 PM, Nnivolcm said:

I think WRs are over valued for the impact they make. WRs make so much not because of their impact on the field, but because they sell tickets and merchandise. 

We had a generational talent at WR in Megatron, and paired him with a pretty good QB, and still couldn't win a playoff game. 

Most WR’s only excel if the oline gives a QB sufficient time. You can have all the talent in the world at the WR position but it only works if other pieces are in place.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Sllim Pickens said:

We had that same QB and were not a threat. 

And Noteboom is a great young guy to have on the roster and he had a solid year in spot duty last year but he hasn't been good when playing a full season worth of snaps.  So its a risk and he likely will not be as good as Whit. 

I really don’t like many comparisons using the Lions as an example because the only thing the lions have been best at is incompetence.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Karnage84 said:

I believe he's supposed to have a full recovery in 6-9 months. 

I'm kinda reading the same-things as you. 

But if you are a GM/owner and you literally hired the medical staff who's supposed to know WAY more than a non-DR and actually gets to be hands on; on the injury. It's smart to go with the guy you hired vs what "people" say.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, SimbaWho said:

I'm kinda reading the same-things as you. 

But if you are a GM/owner and you literally hired the medical staff who's supposed to know WAY more than a non-DR and actually gets to be hands on; on the injury. It's smart to go with the guy you hired vs what "people" say.

Well yeah... DO will have his own doctors and then you'd get your doctors to chime in and say "yes, he's on track" or "that injury will never heal", etc. The current scuttlebutt is that he'll be fully recovered in 6 - 9 months (late September to December). This is the reason that I would look at pick #32 vs pick #34. You get the 5th year option, so if he has to take the year off it's not the end of the world. 

We also don't NEED him per say, if we're looking at Harris, the Okwara's and potentially another edge guy at #2.

Edited by Karnage84
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, Karnage84 said:

Well yeah... DO will have his own doctors and then you'd get your doctors to chime in and say "yes, he's on track" or "that injury will never heal", etc. The current scuttlebutt is that he'll be fully recovered in 6 - 9 months (late September to December). This is the reason that I would look at pick #32 vs pick #34. You get the 5th year option, so if he has to take the year off it's not the end of the world. 

If I'm running the Lions.(P.O.) 

I take him at 32 cause of that 5th year as long as my staff say he'll fully recover. Idk if I care about time-line this year to be honest.