Packers trade WR Davante Adams to the Raiders

deltarich87

2 minutes ago, Mr Anonymous said:

Davante Adams lives in the best zip code in one of the most desirable places to live on Earth. I know because I live just a few blocks from him. Summerlin, specifically the Ridges, is an amazing location just 15 minutes from the Strip.  🙂

Vegas is one of the best places to live?  That might be just you on that one.

• Like 1

Just now, CWood21 said:

I sincerely doubt I said that.  I may have said it was very unlikely, because it only usually occurs when negotiations have been exhausted.  I can tell you that the Packers didn't franchise tag him with the with the sole intention of trading him, which is something I probably said.  Context matters significantly in this situation.  Franchise tagging players with the sole intent of trading them is bad for business, but when they're legitimately trying to negotiate a long-term deal but the player doesn't want to be there then that's normal.  Davante Adams got what he wanted, which was to play with the Raiders and be the highest paid WR.  The Packers got enough value to justify dealing him.  Everyone won in this situation.

yeah in this case I agree - but follow the convo back and Norm was talking about how "the packers will never tag and trade" was something treated as gospel

1 minute ago, skibrett15 said:

yeah in this case I agree - but follow the convo back and Norm was talking about how "the packers will never tag and trade" was something treated as gospel

That was me. I was the one who said that. I still believe it. I believe the Packers had every intention of extending Adams. The reports out there indicate this as truth.

Adams didn’t want to stay. Thus, the trade.

59 minutes ago, Chili said:

Don't overthink this. Bring back MVS. Big, fast, 27 years old, knows the system.

Let someone else overpay for him.  If someone wants to offer him $10M/year, I'll gladly collect the 5th round comp pick for letting him walk.  I think I'd rather go roll through the garbage bin of veteran WRs and buy low on someone and then draft a pair of WRs in the draft relatively early.

Just now, CWood21 said:

Let someone else overpay for him.  If someone wants to offer him $10M/year, I'll gladly collect the 5th round comp pick for letting him walk.  I think I'd rather go roll through the garbage bin of veteran WRs and buy low on someone and then draft a pair of WRs in the draft relatively early.

Yes to all.

2 minutes ago, skibrett15 said:

I'm pretty sure there was a conversation between TT and a reported YEARS ago (back after Corey Williams was tagged and traded) and he said that tagging and trading is a last resort.  Corey Williams is the only Packer player I remember being tagged with the intention of trading.

30 minutes ago, PackFan13 said:

I think it's funny people instantly write off Julio. He's an all time talent and for the right price he'd be a big get. He's not what he was but he's still far better than anything we currently have at wr

He's older.  He's beat up.  He's never been a red zone guy.

But, I'd, ahem, bring him him, kick those tires and hope he will sign a team friend, or vet's minimum deal.

All seriousness, I wouldn't hate it.  The guy knows how to get open.  I think it's all about the medicals on him.

6 minutes ago, Toddfather said:

Between Love and now the Adams trade you have to admit the guy has testicular fortitude. So far I'm really a fan. I'm excited to see what he will do with this draft capital. 

That's a great point.  His thinking may be wrong, and we may disagree at times.  But it's pretty evident that he's got the guts to do what he thinks is best for the team.  

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Sasquatch said:

I get the sense DA was tired of the drama in GB with his QB and was ready to move on for the myriad of other reasons discussed already.  There’s an opportunity here for Gute to really shine in this situation, or not.  We’ll see.

I think 'Vante wanted the money.  All of it.  And he wasn't budging.  He's seen other "core" guys like Bakh and Clark gets extensions before they hit free agency and didn't have to deal with a franchise tag.  He didn't get the extension he wanted like those other guys did.  So, he was a little salty at the organization.

Finally we agreed to give him what he wanted and he was just done.  So much for the Aaron Rodgers influence.

But in the end, all three sides can "win" here.

GB frees up cap, not just for now, but for the future.  It'll made re-signing guys like JA and Gary easier.  Not to mention Douglas and whomever else we want to try to get.

GB gets a first and second round pick, now.  Before this drags on into the summer and his value decreases and GB ends up with lesser round picks in the next draft.

Adams gets the money he wants and I dare say, deserves.  He goes to a team that he wanted to play for.  That is no little thing, GB did him a solid by sending him to LV.

Vegas gets the best WR in the league to help their offense.

All GB has to do is draft well, and remember that this isn't just Adams for whomever they pick with those two picks.  This is about who they can sign now, as well as who they can re-sign in the future without worrying about that Adams cap hit.

Could be a good trade for all three parties involved.  Which would be rare.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

agreed.  MVS is going to struggle in the NFL outside of GB.  I don't see any consistent skills aside from running fast.

Andre' Davis not Terry Glenn.