Packers trade WR Davante Adams to the Raiders

deltarich87

14 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

There's no upside with MVS.  He's a decent deep threat, but doesn't offer much else. 

Agree, hes a straight line speed guy.   He doesnt have the route running ability to be a high volume guy.   Happens with a lot of track guys.  they'll run right by you but ask them to cut on a dime and it takes too long to get in and out of their cuts.   NFL DBs are all over them by the time they get through the cut.    

Wont mind him back in a  specific role, but with Adams gone you need 2 guys who can run the complete route tree.  Thats not MVS.    

Edited by NFLGURU

5 minutes ago, Green19 said:

His mom lives in Vegas… I think Adams just wanted a house by his mom and was likely to get it regardless. Remember Rodgers is getting a house in Nashville and has had a Malibu and or San Diego home for years while in GB.

I think the house means nothing. It was a chance to have a nice place near his family and if he wasn’t a packer he was likely going to force his way to LV to be with Carr.

Could definitely be that simple. Does feel like he knew he'd end up in Vegas one way or another though. He's said before how much he wanted to team up with his good friend Carr. And he could have bought this same house for half the price just over a year ago if it was just a place to be in the offseason. Doesn't matter a whole lot either way but I'm extra fascinated by this because he's going to be living so close. Maybe I'll bump into him from time to time.  😀

54 minutes ago, craig said:

With you, I'm fine with the former, not with the latter.   With the cap climbing in years future, $25/3 isn't bad, and could look like a bargain for a situational #3 WR.  I also feel like he might perhaps outperform that. 

I'm there, because this is a typical Packers move.  Guy produces on his rookie deal and we give him a nice little contract so if he kills it, he can cash in and be relatively young.  Just like Adams did.

Obviously MVS is not Adams, and he is on the older side, so maybe this doesn't work as good.

I do see value in MVS for around a value of $7-$8M/year for a couple of years.  And yes, I think he could outproduce that deal.

But I would be very interested to see what guys like Landry, Jones and Fuller would want.  

34 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

There's no upside with MVS.  He's a decent deep threat, but doesn't offer much else.

This is a pretty good year to let MVS walk and replace his speed in the draft relatively cheap. Not too often you get guys with his type of speed but there should be a trio available day two (Thorton, Austin, Watson) and and a trio available day three (Jones, Grey, Melton).

Edited by wgbeethree

The timing of this move is important.  If the Packers drag this until July/August, many of these FA WRs are gone to other teams and the draft picks would go into next year.    This gives them some time to look at FA WRs a little closer if they are interested in any, and prepare for the draft with more ammo.    

Just now, Cheesehawk said:

I’m willing to roll the dice on Julio on a low guarantee high incentive based deal. 

Yep, I think that would be a smart play. I just wouldn't want to count on him being your #1 at this stage of his career, with his injury history. 

2 minutes ago, Striker said:

I don't think he's quite as explosive but, to be fair, his production from last year was probably capped by Tannehill/the Titan's offensive system. 

Even AJ Brown, who is an explosive threat in his own right, had down years in terms of yards per reception (13.8) and yards per target (8.3). Jones was at 14.0 and 9.0.

He certainly produced/can still play.  

The assessment was based purely on his current physical traits. I'm afraid his once stellar short-area burst and change of direction may have dimmed below critical thresholds, rendering him irrevocably WR2. 

He's worth whatever a solid WR2 with 1-2 years in the tank is worth.   

3 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

Someone tell me this.

Why didn't our front office get the two first round picks due to someone who has a franchise tagged player sign somewhere else?

Like, I think I read the reason why about 50 pages ago.  I just can't remember.

I'm guessing it was waived and Green Bay agreed to this deal. Green Bay had to sign off on it for it to happen. I think it was a fair compromise for a guy who wasn't going to agree to play here any longer. Some say we robbed them. Others think we made them contenders. 

Time will tell, but the other instances of teams giving up a bunch for a WR did not play out well for the WR acquiring team. 

Edited by Old Guy

Just now, vegas492 said:

Someone tell me this.

Why didn't our front office get the two first round picks due to someone who has a franchise tagged player sign somewhere else?

Likely because Adams would only agree to go to one team… the raiders. Hard to get everything when you are negotiating with a hand tied.

Tom Pelissero said in fact Raiders were out early in the week and looked into other WRs… they circle backed and upped the offer to a 1st and 2nd.

4 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

Someone tell me this.

I think the distinction is that they traded him (which obviously nets you whatever you negotiate) and then he signed an extension with the Raiders vs. the Packers declining to match an offer sheet (which would net you the two firsts).

4 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

I'm guessing it was waived and Green Bay agreed to this deal. Green Bay had to sign off on it for it to happen. I think it was a fair compromise for a guy who wasn't going to agree to play here any longer. Some say we robbed them. Others think we made them contenders. 

Time will tell, but the other instances of teams giving up a bunch for a WR did not play out well for the WR acquiring team. 

3 minutes ago, Green19 said:

Likely because Adams would only agree to go to one team… the raiders. Hard to get everything when you are negotiating with a hand tied.

Tom Pelissero said in fact Raiders were out early in the week and looked into other WRs… they circle backed and upped the offer to a 1st and 2nd.

Thank you.

But....we franchised him.  Which means if he is signed by another team, we get two first round picks.

That didn't happen.  

So what is the official process?  Do we remove the tag, sign him to the deal and then ship him to Vegas?  If we sign him to the deal, are we obligated to pay any guaranteed money?

Or does he get traded to Vegas while on the tag and they have to do the new deal?

I'm curious.  I thought if someone was franchised and was offered by another team, the original team could match the offer and retain the player, or the player leaves and 2 firsts go to team.