Was going after Deshaun Watson the right thing to do? !Poll!

brownie man

Was going after Deshaun Watson the right thing to do?  

41 members have voted

1. 1. Where do you stand

• Yes trying to trade for Deshaun was the right thing to do
    • No we should have never went after Deshaun at all

28 minutes ago, Dawgpoun8017 said:

Baker hasn’t really done anything to prove moving on from him was the wrong choice other than hook up with a receiver even he couldn’t throw too high for

It's not about what if the Browns still had Baker. It's what if we had stuck with him one more year, then given the exact same package we gave for Watson to Lamar. With this defense? The Browns are THE AFC superbowl favorite, maybe co-favorite with KC at worst. And I'd still be able to root for the team lol.

As to the AB stuff, you'll never convince me that Watson wasn't a truck stop Jimmy special. It's got his fingerprints all over it.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, FGK said:

It's not about what if the Browns still had Baker. It's what if we had stuck with him one more year, then given the exact same package we gave for Watson to Lamar. With this defense? The Browns are THE AFC superbowl favorite, maybe co-favorite with KC at worst. And I'd still be able to root for the team lol.

As to the AB stuff, you'll never convince me that Watson wasn't a truck stop Jimmy special. It's got his fingerprints all over it.

I don't think Lamar would have ever been possible and I wouldn't have wanted him at that same price. I don't think we needed to pay that price for anyone. I get that we haven't ever been able to find our guy at QB but to pay that price you have to be certain (Mahomes). Watson wasn't certain. Lamar wouldn't be certain.

It can work and it might work but it's a muddy version of what most hope for. It's great to be king but it's not quite the same when you sell your soul for the title.

Yeah, even I'm not sure what I'm talking about but there are a lot of paths and the one we took was my least favorite. For me it would feel like a tainted championship and that's the best case scenario. If we fail to get that and became a scummy franchise with nothing to show for it, well, that would be unfortunate and if you aren't a Browns fan you probably think it is deserved.

It's unfortunate for the good guys on the team. It's unfortunate for the good fans that have been off put by it all. Only those with blinders on could fully enjoy the ride.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Thomas5737 said:

I don't think Lamar would have ever been possible and I wouldn't have wanted him at that same price. I don't think we needed to pay that price for anyone. I get that we haven't ever been able to find our guy at QB but to pay that price you have to be certain (Mahomes). Watson wasn't certain. Lamar wouldn't be certain.

It can work and it might work but it's a muddy version of what most hope for. It's great to be king but it's not quite the same when you sell your soul for the title.

Yeah, even I'm not sure what I'm talking about but there are a lot of paths and the one we took was my least favorite. For me it would feel like a tainted championship and that's the best case scenario. If we fail to get that and became a scummy franchise with nothing to show for it, well, that would be unfortunate and if you aren't a Browns fan you probably think it is deserved.

It's unfortunate for the good guys on the team. It's unfortunate for the good fans that have been off put by it all. Only those with blinders on could fully enjoy the ride.

This, 100%.

20 hours ago, brownie man said:

You’re making up stuff 

Russell was already traded

Carr wasn’t available at the time 

Rodgers wasn’t available at the time 

Who knows how high our pick would’ve been in this past draft. How do you know we would’ve had a better offer than Carolina. They had a top 10 pick. If we were any kind of decent we wouldn’t had been that high. Which is probable based on our roster. 

If you think Baltimore would’ve traded Lamar in division you’re delusional. Colts weren’t event gonna trade Deshaun in division. and lamar never got traded so moot point. 

Dak hasn’t been traded and no one ever reasonably said he was available 

youre just making illegitimate stuff up to prove a point 

Now maybe Kyler Kirk and Stafford are available. If so maybe you can get one.  But that wasn’t the case when we signed Deshaun. Kyler coming off a ACL though. You gonna trade for him without seeing how he looks?

Now if you think we should’ve just signed a journeyman and went TBD and waisted another year of this expensive roster then so be it. 

Deshaun was our only realistic option at the time to upgrade. Just accept it and move on. Don’t be making stuff up

You didn’t need to make the trade at the exact same time we did.

And yes you presented the negative cases why those trades I proposed don’t make sense. My counter would be that the negative case to acquiring Watson is that he is a injury prone, quitter, rapist quarterback on a team that went 4-12 60% of the years he was in the league; and to acquire him it would cost 3x firsts and the we’d need to sign him to the most retarded contract in the history of the NFL. We did it anyway. 

So it’s not like the negative sides of a trade were a limiting factor for our leadership. The negatives you laid out against what I proposed were actually minor relative to Watson. 

Wasn't a fan of the Watson trade at the time (because of his character and the exorbitant compensation; draft picks and guaranteed salary-wise), even less of a fan now because what we got in return is another maddeningly inconsistent Baker-type QB with even less availability. We could have stuck with the original maddeningly inconsistent guy and had a lot more salary cap space and some nice first round picks (Wills replacement, anyone?), and not had all of the female physical therapists at Lou Groza blvd wearing police body cams. 

While it does stink of a Haslam special, Berry and Stefanski are equally culpable, IMO. 

Edited by dawgdish

13 hours ago, FGK said:

Do you honestly believe the ravens were going to trade Lamar to Cleveland……

• Like 2

On 10/24/2023 at 10:44 AM, Mega Ron said:

Too late for the vote.

Of course it was the wrong move. We would have been better off live broadcasting Jimmy burning $200 million and getting Josh Rosen in at QB.

Welcome back dude!

Hey I always wondered which one of The Two Ronnies you are?

• Like 1

On 10/25/2023 at 12:31 PM, Dawgpoun8017 said:

Do you honestly believe the ravens were going to trade Lamar to Cleveland……

At that point, pre-extension, wasn't their alternative the franchise tag? If they end up tagging him, you give up the two first round picks and roll. The whole question last summer was why wasn't someone offering Lamar a mega contract to make Baltimore sweat. I could be wrong if he was just looking at playing this year out on the 5th year option, but I thought that was what he played on in 2022.

2 hours ago, FGK said:

At that point, pre-extension, wasn't their alternative the franchise tag? If they end up tagging him, you give up the two first round picks and roll. The whole question last summer was why wasn't someone offering Lamar a mega contract to make Baltimore sweat. I could be wrong if he was just looking at playing this year out on the 5th year option, but I thought that was what he played on in 2022.

I think teams knew Baltimore would match and didn't want to do their work for them.

He is also a high-risk high reward player who hasn't been consistent in a few years. 

• Like 1

On 10/26/2023 at 3:48 PM, Thomas5737 said:

I think teams knew Baltimore would match and didn't want to do their work for them.

He is also a high-risk high reward player who hasn't been consistent in a few years. 

I mean. Cleveland gave a sexual predator a FULLY GUARANTEED 230 million dollar deal. If there was any deal Baltimore wouldn't match. 

• Like 1