Was going after Deshaun Watson the right thing to do? !Poll!

brownie man

Was going after Deshaun Watson the right thing to do?  

41 members have voted

1. 1. Where do you stand

• Yes trying to trade for Deshaun was the right thing to do
    • No we should have never went after Deshaun at all

2 minutes ago, brownie man said:

It’s still early 

people want to see instantly results and I understand why you would want to 

but it’s a long journey 

to this point it hasn’t worked out 

but idk if y’all have watched any Buccaneers games, but Bakers looks pretty trash the last two. Like I said he ain’t got it. We know that for sure. Jimmy Garoppolo ain’t got it neither. So yes going after Deshaun was still the right move. We just gotta see it play out. 

I mean, right now no it’s not still the right move lol.

We still owe this clown hundreds of millions of dollars.  He’s not a scrub you can move on from at season’s end, even if he’s playing like it right now.

I get it’s early, things can change, etc., you’re not wrong there, but it’s less and less early every week and not much is changing.  I guess I’m just saying the time for excuses has passed, time to start seeing some results or at a minimum Watson truthers need to accept the criticism as entirely valid.

• Like 2

Oh yeah criticism is valid

but look at the landscape 

tell me who out there we that’s doing well we could’ve had in his place 

the only name I can give you is Brock Purdy. That’s an anomaly, but that’s it. 

I want any poster here to name one good quarterback we could’ve had instead of Deshaun. Draft FA or Trade. 

There’s nobody but Baker. And Baker sucks which is why he’s on his 4th team. 

Like it or not we had to make the move. It hasn’t brought results so far, but it’s not over yet. 

It's unfortunate, and yet such a Brownsie thing to happen.  It's not like Watson is some dude we drafted, and hoped would pan out!  This is a guy that had proven himself in this league, and although he didn't have a great amount of success in the playoffs, his future looked bright.  I will have to say that it could end up being one of the biggest blunders in franchise history if dude doesn't turn it around!

3 minutes ago, brownie man said:

I want any poster here to name one good quarterback we could’ve had instead of Deshaun. Draft FA or Trade. 

Like it or not we had to make the move. It hasn’t brought results so far, but it’s not over yet. 

Baker has been better than Watson tbh.

Who’s a better option?  Jacoby Brissett tbh.

• Like 1

I was wildly negative about this trade from day one and this has played out much worse than even I thought it would. 

Right now - would anyone besides Brownie Man still do the trade? We are 30% of the way through the deal basically and have gotten replacement level play at the expense of $45M/yr and two missing firsts (with another on the way). 

He's functionally missed 14 games and played in 9. Of those 9, hes been bad to terrible in 4 or 5, great in one, and meh in the other 3-4 leftover.

Thus far, the trade is a big fat F. And when grading on a letter scale, its important to rememeber than while a D is 60-69%, an F is 0%-59%, and I think we are closer to a straight 0% than a D letter grade. 

• Like 3

Stating the obvious...everything that's happening is a result of giving a guy the richest contract in NFL history to then have the guy look absolutely cooked and not able to play anymore.

Stefanski isn't about to entertain any kind of injury liability where he can be blamed for him not playing well. In the short term I think it's basic, regardless of the medical clearance, he's not giving the team the best chance to win right now. He's clearly broken. ..be it psychologically, physically, or both. And especially with how the Baker injury played out last season..where Baker was physically capable but still hurt to some degree, (and imo, was trying to play through it as an excuse for any bad play)....He's not gonna even touch any of that with DeShaun.

Was it the right move to try an acquire a 26yr old top ten QB that was only available because of off field transgressions? Of course it was. That's an analytics home run right there. Is it too early to say that it was an epic mistake and likely the worst contract ever? No..not really. Besides the results, the guy just looks completely defeated. He was fairly content to watch that game and save himself from further scrutiny. He has no idea what's going on with his play.

And the team doesn't know for sure either..how could anyone. My two cents is that he's lost considerable explosion and it's affected his footwork and mechanics. But I think it's also clear he's not as cerebral as he presented in Houston and still hasn't really grasped the offense.

It'll play out because there's nothing else to do.  If he sits some more imo it's simply about him or the team protecting his or their brand. After they made such an unprecedented move in acquiring him, if he continues to play so poorly it's detrimental to the entire organization. Sitting him or excusing it to injury would be some measure of damage control. If he plays it could be about trying to scale down the offense and hope he doesn't make major mistakes..like Stef did with Baker at points. Or possibly turning him into a run first guy like Daboll did with Daniel Jones.

If Deshaun is really ready to die on a hill that an injury is preventing him from looking like the old DeShaun then maybe IR is the best for everyone.

6 hours ago, brownie man said:

You could have gotten just about any player in the NFL for the assets we gave up for DeShaun Watson

Some options...

• Kept Baker w/ spending any other assets
  • Aaron Rodgers for a second
  • Lamar Jackson was on the trade block and if we offered him what we offered Watson we might have gotten him
  • CJ Stroud or Bryce Young for an equivalent package the Bears got for #1
  • Derrick Carr for free
  • Russell Wilson for the package they gave up
  • Dak Prescott could likely be had for a smaller package
  • Kirk Cousins could be had for a wayyyy smaller package
  • Kyler Murray is likely available for way less
  • Maybe Stafford if the Rams want to retool

Thats a lot of options. Are any perfect? No but all look better than where we ended up and trades like Rodgers for a second or trades like a bundle for CJ Stroud would be *considerably* better than what we did. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, roger murdock said:

You could have gotten just about any player in the NFL for the assets we gave up for DeShaun Watson

Some options...

• Kept Baker w/ spending any other assets
  • Aaron Rodgers for a second
  • Lamar Jackson was on the trade block and if we offered him what we offered Watson we might have gotten him
  • CJ Stroud or Bryce Young for an equivalent package the Bears got for #1
  • Derrick Carr for free
  • Russell Wilson for the package they gave up
  • Dak Prescott could likely be had for a smaller package
  • Kirk Cousins could be had for a wayyyy smaller package
  • Kyler Murray is likely available for way less
  • Maybe Stafford if the Rams want to retool

Thats a lot of options. Are any perfect? No but all look better than where we ended up and trades like Rodgers for a second or trades like a bundle for CJ Stroud would be *considerably* better than what we did. 

Now I’m sad

9 hours ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Baker has been better than Watson tbh.

Who’s a better option?  Jacoby Brissett tbh.

It just comes down to are you getting what you paid for.

That's just for liability sake. It isn't like you can fix it. People may get fired but thems the breaks.

It isn't like the season is over. We're 4-2. It isn't like Watson is as bad as the results have been so far. He has proven he can be productive. I never had the issue of making the trade from a football perspective. I thought they gave up too much and with the extra cash and 1st round picks we may have been better of with a Jacoby Brissett or Gardner Minshew with a few good free agent signings and hopefully 1st rounders that hit. Would be nice to have a high quality LT. If we would have hired a better DC than Woods back in early 2020 we may have realized we would be good enough that we wouldn't have to make that kind of an investment for a QB with a suspect character and just tried drafting a replacement and use Baker or a Brissett type while the young guy gets ready. So yeah, I'm saying everything is Joe Woods' fault.

There is the issue of desire from Watson. Loss of desire would hurt your production. It looks like that may be the case now but I'm sure if it is, there will be more proof to come.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Kiwibrown said:

The trade has been bad but not a disaster. It could go that way. 

If he comes back to top 15 form by the end of the year then we can win superbowl.

If Watson is “only” top 15, which would actually be a miracle at this point, it’s still a failure. You don’t give up that kind of draft capital and money guarantees for average. 

11 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

If Watson is “only” top 15, which would actually be a miracle at this point, it’s still a failure. You don’t give up that kind of draft capital and money guarantees for average. 

You are 100% it's a failure but not a disaster. 

Berry is unreal with his roster building so far. If he can keep that up we may be OK with an average Watson. 

Unfortunately for everyone, we didn't get a top qb, we got a project. We are literally rebuilding Watson at 64 million per year. 

With Dawand we have kind of recouped a 1st. He is exceptional. Already playing above pro bowl level. 

If someone else shines from the draft class we will be ok.