Was going after Deshaun Watson the right thing to do? !Poll!

brownie man

Was going after Deshaun Watson the right thing to do?  

41 members have voted

1. 1. Where do you stand

• Yes trying to trade for Deshaun was the right thing to do
    • No we should have never went after Deshaun at all

20 minutes ago, Kiwibrown said:

Berry is unreal with his roster building so far.

He is? How exactly has he built this roster? I’ll give him credit for the Cooper trade and Emerson draft pick for sure, and Delpit looks great this year.

Jed kinda sucks.

Newsome is fine in the slot and JOK is good.

He has had some nice finds in the mid to late rounds but he’s also overpaid a lot of guys and this trade is a franchise resetting disaster.

Most of this team was built way before he got here.

10 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

He is? How exactly has he built this roster? I’ll give him credit for the Cooper trade and Emerson draft pick for sure, and Delpit looks great this year.

Jed kinda sucks.

He has had some nice finds in the mid to late rounds but he’s also overpaid a lot of guys and this trade is a franchise resetting disaster.

Emerson, Delpit, JOK, Newsome, and Dawand look like really solid picks.  Great even for some of them.

Pocic, Hurst, Tomlinson, Bojo, Walker, Conklin and Obo have been good to great FA signings.

Cooper, Hopkins, and Z were great trades.

This is inarguably the best roster we’ve ever seen.  As far as some of those other guys who were here, Myles, Ward, Njoku, Chubb, etc., he was the VP of Player Personnel when we drafted them.  Considering Dorsey kept him after Sashi was canned and Haslam brought him in to replace Dorsey would indicate he was probably on the correct side of many of the decisions made while he was here initially.

Im not saying he doesn’t have misses, but show me a guy who doesn’t.  Saying he’s not responsible for this roster’s talent 4 years in while wanting him held accountable for other parts of the roster a take to say the least.

• Like 5

42 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

Jed kinda sucks.

He has never been a slave to 'my guy' like Dorsey was. Cutting Nassib for Chris Smith. 

Like lgb said he is our best by far and its not close. 

Dalvin Tomlinson won us a game vs the 9ers. 

Obo has been great. 

ZaDarius ha been great to.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Kiwibrown said:

He has never been a slave to 'my guy' like Dorsey was. Cutting Nassib for Chris Smith. 

Obo has been great. 

Yeah we’ve seen it happen a number of times where a guy comes in and throws the baby out with the bath water because they want to do their thing with the roster.  

I would say AB has mixed grades. He has mismanaged a number of things, but he has also had some nice moves in some of those early to mid-rounds the past couple years. Particularly Emerson and Dawand. Point blank his tenure will be judged largely by what we end up getting out of our quarterback, that was a massive investment. If it doesn’t work out, we kind of blew it for several years. If he proves me wrong then I will be happy on that one. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, NateDawg said:

I would say AB has mixed grades. He has mismanaged a number of things, but he has also had some nice moves in some of those early to mid-rounds the past couple years. Particularly Emerson and Dawand. Point blank his tenure will be judged largely by what we end up getting out of our quarterback, that was a massive investment. If it doesn’t work out, we kind of blew it for several years. If he proves me wrong then I will be happy on that one. 

They basically have to do the impossible. Win with a mediocre qb

3 hours ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Emerson, Delpit, JOK, Newsome, and Dawand look like really solid picks.  Great even for some of them.

Pocic, Hurst, Tomlinson, Bojo, Walker, Conklin and Obo have been good to great FA signings.

Cooper, Hopkins, and Z were great trades.

This is inarguably the best roster we’ve ever seen.  As far as some of those other guys who were here, Myles, Ward, Njoku, Chubb, etc., he was the VP of Player Personnel when we drafted them.  Considering Dorsey kept him after Sashi was canned and Haslam brought him in to replace Dorsey would indicate he was probably on the correct side of many of the decisions made while he was here initially.

Im not saying he doesn’t have misses, but show me a guy who doesn’t.  Saying he’s not responsible for this roster’s talent 4 years in while wanting him held accountable for other parts of the roster a take to say the least.

3 hours ago, Kiwibrown said:

Obo has been great. 

Dude took a loaded roster and built it up and then pissed away all of it on Watson. Not a passing grade.

15 hours ago, roger murdock said:

You could have gotten just about any player in the NFL for the assets we gave up for DeShaun Watson

Some options...

• Kept Baker w/ spending any other assets
  • Aaron Rodgers for a second
  • Lamar Jackson was on the trade block and if we offered him what we offered Watson we might have gotten him
  • CJ Stroud or Bryce Young for an equivalent package the Bears got for #1
  • Derrick Carr for free
  • Russell Wilson for the package they gave up
  • Dak Prescott could likely be had for a smaller package
  • Kirk Cousins could be had for a wayyyy smaller package
  • Kyler Murray is likely available for way less
  • Maybe Stafford if the Rams want to retool

Thats a lot of options. Are any perfect? No but all look better than where we ended up and trades like Rodgers for a second or trades like a bundle for CJ Stroud would be *considerably* better than what we did. 

You’re making up stuff 

Russell was already traded

Carr wasn’t available at the time 

Rodgers wasn’t available at the time 

Who knows how high our pick would’ve been in this past draft. How do you know we would’ve had a better offer than Carolina. They had a top 10 pick. If we were any kind of decent we wouldn’t had been that high. Which is probable based on our roster. 

If you think Baltimore would’ve traded Lamar in division you’re delusional. Colts weren’t event gonna trade Deshaun in division. and lamar never got traded so moot point. 

Dak hasn’t been traded and no one ever reasonably said he was available 

youre just making illegitimate stuff up to prove a point 

Now maybe Kyler Kirk and Stafford are available. If so maybe you can get one.  But that wasn’t the case when we signed Deshaun. Kyler coming off a ACL though. You gonna trade for him without seeing how he looks?

Now if you think we should’ve just signed a journeyman and went TBD and waisted another year of this expensive roster then so be it. 

Deshaun was our only realistic option at the time to upgrade. Just accept it and move on. Don’t be making stuff up

Edited by brownie man
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, brownie man said:

You’re making up stuff 

Russell was already traded

Carr wasn’t available at the time 

Rodgers wasn’t available at the time 

Who knows how high our pick would’ve been in this past draft. How do you know we would’ve had a better offer than Carolina. They had a top 10 pick. If we were any kind of decent we wouldn’t had been that high. Which is probable based on our roster. 

If you think Baltimore would’ve traded Lamar in division you’re delusional. Colts weren’t event gonna trade Deshaun in division. and lamar never got traded so moot point. 

Dak hasn’t been traded and no one ever reasonably said he was available 

youre just making illegitimate stuff up to prove a point 

Now maybe Kyler Kirk and Stafford are available. If so maybe you can get one.  But that wasn’t the case when we signed Deshaun. Kyler coming off a ACL though. You gonna trade for him without seeing how he looks?

Now if you think we should’ve just signed a journeyman and went TBD and waisted another year of this expensive roster then so be it. 

Deshaun was our only realistic option at the time to upgrade. Just accept it and move on. Don’t be making stuff up

I agree with you brownie man.

Our only realistic options were going with Baker for another year (which I preferred, but he hasn't really proven the team wrong by moving on from him) or trading for Watson.

Jimmy G might have been an option, but he would have been pretty much a lateral move from Baker.

Aside from the PR nightmare, I get why the team made the move. Just so far it hasn't proven to be remotely worth it. Hopefully that'll change.

• Like 1