BYE TALK | 2017 Offense

Phire

The bye week is upon us, and if you're like me, we're already bored out of our cot dayum minds. With that said, let's talk some offense. This could shape up to be a special season, and it would be cool to look back at where our minds were along the way.

1. What were your expectations for this offense before the year?

2. What player or coach has surprised you the most?

3. Who is one underrated player on the offense you feel deserves more praise?

4. If you could give one long-term contract to a player on offense, who would that be?

5. What has been your most memorable play so far?

6. If you could change one player's number, whose and to what?

7. Make one bold prediction for the offense.

I thought it'd definitely take a step up from 2016, but I was primarily concerned about our group of running backs. I liked what Blount, Smallwood, Sproles, and Clement had to offer as a group, but obviously we don't have a workhorse back there who can play every down. Blount has been better than I expected. The addition of Ajayi certainly changes things. Another concern was how Doug Pederson would actually utilize the backs. Since he seems to have figured out that running the ball is important, and that our OL is good at run blocking, what I thought would be a weakness is now one of our strengths.

I thought WR would take a big step up with the additions we made. Hard not to from last year.

I thought Carson would take a big step up, but not like what we've seen. He has taken like four big steps up.

I thought the OL may have been a tad overrated, but there are only a few units across the league that aren't getting demolished by defenses, and ours is one of them.

Carson Wentz. With Doug as a close second. I say this because Carson has played around 25 games. This is about the time a lot of young QBs struggle. This is about the time defensive coordinators start to figure out tendencies, vulnerabilities, and weaknesses. This is where the quarterback's entire profile is on film. And yet, Carson is playing even better the more film there is on him. I've always said that a mark of an elite QB is how well they play after defensive coordinators can fully prepare for them. Well, Carson's just clowning on them. 

Brandon Brooks. 

4. If you could give one long-term contract to a player on offense, who would that be?

Alshon.

Carson's Houdini against Washington.

Clement's 30 to anything in the 20s. 

Ertz doesn't fizzle out.

I just want Philly to go to Dallas and put a whooping on them. That being said, it's going to be a battle... especially if Zeke is playing.

I love Coach Pederson.! Like the rest of this thread, I had reservations about him and was disappointed by his hire - albeit the other choices weren't attractive either. He has really stepped it up in his 2nd season and its clear as day the players love playing for him - that's rare! Just look at the Giants and their locker room.

I don't have an underrated player on offense (maybe Hollins), but on defense i think Joe Walker needs some recognition - he has taken over for Jordan Hicks and the defense hasn't missed beat.  

Darby needs his number in the 20's - 35 isn't suitable for a corner of his caliber.. I love the way 36 looks like on Ajayi though - I hope he keeps it. Do you think the Eagles disrespected Westbrook by letting him have it?

Carsonwentz Eagles GIF - Carsonwentz Eagles Wentz GIFs

My expectations were we would be middle of the road, aging OL, WRs who haven't developed chemistry with our 2nd year QB and Dougie P with too much AR kool-aid. 

Wentz, the game does seem slower at times, he seems poised and is mostly making good decisions. It would be cool as sh!t to be in those offensive meetings to see how much control he actually has within this offense. 

Hard to underrate anyone since everyone seems to be playing at such a high level. 

I guess Alshon since he's the only one currently with a contract that is up after the year. Everyone else is pretty much here for a couple years or more. 

Has to be the Wentz play when he's breaking out almost like a newborn baby vs Washington. 

Clement give him 34

I think it will hold steady for the duration of the year, I think teams have the formula to put pressure on Wentz and force him into things there will be some bumps but Wentz will continue to play well. 3500yds 33tds

3 minutes ago, Phire said:

Middle of the road, maybe crack top 10.

Pederson's play calling improvement as the season's gone on.

Halapoulivati Vaitai

33 minutes ago, Phire said:

Upcoming contracts? Alshon. But in the grand scheme of things, Carson is the only answer.

34 minutes ago, Phire said:

Carson's great escape, or the Nelson Agholor touchdown against the Panthers in the 4th quarter (I think) he has some speed.

Mack Hollins, feels weird seeing a tall DeSean Jackson

Carson Wentz finishes the season with 40 passing touchdowns.

Average at best

Gotta be Dougy Thumbs. He looks like real coach

Wiz

Alshon 

nelson.0.jpg

Sorry J-train, there is only 1 36 and it ain't you....

Nelson Agholor ends the year with better numbers than Dez Bryant 

Rank around 16-20.

Nelson Agholor is a good NFL WR.... yeah I said that and it is true.

Brooks. Dude is playing some mistake free football this year.

Alshon

Wentz's great escape on Monday Night vs the Skins.

Ajayi to literally anything but 36

Wentz is this years NFL MVP.

12 hours ago, Phire said:

I honestly thought middle of the road. Maybe squeak out a 9-7 season and have an outside shot at the postseason. 

Dougie P of course. I still don't think he's too bright but one thing he does know is how a successful offense operates. And as long as he has a good chemistry with Wentz and let's him fly, he'll continue to be successful. I doubted Doug's brain but underestimated his football IQ. 

It has to go to the OL. Between injuries and playing really well, the OL, Brooks and Kelce specifically, have been massively underrated this year. They're playing at the pinnacle of their careers. Kelce has completely pulled a 180 from last year and has recaptured his pro bowl form.

Outside of Wentz or course, I like Alshon's effect on the offense. I think it could be duplicated with someone else but I think the chemistry has been a slow build and could continue to blossom. At a reasonable price, I'd like to have AJ locked up for a few years.

The scramble and bomb to Agholor or the Houdini scramble by Wentz. His escapeability really speaks to his confidence and coolness under pressure. 

Get 36 off of Ajayi. 

I think Wentz throws for 4000 and 40 though it's not very bold at this point. I'll say that Ajayi runs for 800 yards in an Eagles uniform. 

Archived