“The most toxic environment I’ve ever been a part of” - Inside the Urban Meyer fiasco

.Buzz

19 hours ago, Awsi Dooger said:

Urban Meyer was a phenomenal college recruiter and head coach. Then he was incredible as a studio analyst, saying so much with few words. Obviously it's open season on him. But I'm not the type who has to jump on the pile of conventional wisdom and overreaction, just to lap up brownie points with bar stool caliber peers.

Signing Meyer was a very sharp move by the Jaguars. Meyer was always going to pursue the NFL job attached to Trevor Lawrence. I began posting that two years ahead of time on some sites and during fall 2020 here. If it hadn't been Jacksonville, Meyer would have been signed by the Jets, etc.

Gambling on greatness is light years more astute than the hot assistant of the moment. Gamblers aren't preoccupied with moves that don't work out. Everything is value and an edge. There is no more derisive term in the gambling community than red board player. That's the guy who has all the answers once the result is official in red on the tote board. 

It was a stupid decision to hire him then, and it looks even stupider now. You're not gambling on "greatness." Meyer hadn't proved anything in the NFL. The college game isn't remotely the same as the NFL. Meyer was a particularly bad pick because he wasn't brilliant in any skills that translated well to the NFL.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, .Buzz said:

Fairly certain the $ was less with the Jaguars than he was making at Fox, if not very close to the same. 

Wasn't he making like over $10m a year with the Jags? I'd be a little shocked if Fox was paying him that much, but I guess I can't be too surprised at anything anymore. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, MikeT14 said:

Wasn't he making like over $10m a year with the Jags? I'd be a little shocked if Fox was paying him that much, but I guess I can't be too surprised at anything anymore. 

Nah, pretty sure it got out that he was only in the 6-7M range when he was fired from the local media.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, jrry32 said:

It was a stupid decision to hire him then, and it looks even stupider now. You're not gambling on "greatness." Meyer hadn't proved anything in the NFL. The college game isn't remotely the same as the NFL. Meyer was a particularly bad pick because he wasn't brilliant in any skills that translated well to the NFL.

It was a stupid decision, but an excusably stupid decision. 

Not everyone bats 1.000 on new hires. You only get a few hours, and even though people tend to be more truthful/revealing than they should be, people can fake it for a day and get there on charisma. Plus with the general nepotism where coaches hire their friends and the only keep "their players", good luck finding impartial references or ways to fact check beyond what's publicly available. I'd imagine a high level job in football makes BSing the interview even easier, since its going to be back and forth on bigger picture plans that should always sound exciting to the person getting pitched.

It's far more egregious that Urban was transparently unqualified to the point it was a national news story, but the Jags went out of their way to defend him. If the Jags' journalists were good, Khan would be eating these words over and over:

It was a mistake to hire him, but it's an excusable mistake. It's an inexcusable mistake to keep him around when you see who he really is, and it's equally inexcusable for them to have taken this long to figure it out.

Edited by ramssuperbowl99
  • Like 4

On 3/21/2022 at 3:32 PM, Uncle Buck said:

Exactly!  That's what I keep wondering after reading this.  I was excited about the hire because I don't follow college football and just knew that he won a lot.  He was also Tim Tebow's coach, so that was a small feather in his cap for me.  The things in this article, and some of the clueless things he said in press conferences last season make me wonder how he ever won anything on the college level.  About the only thing it seems like he is "good" at is convincing talented high school prospects to come and play for his college program.

I'm a Florida fan and the good he did for us was undone when he quit on us because the going got tough in the post-Tebow era.

Him going to Ohio State made things even worse. We don't like FSU or Bama but OSU is Satan to us in Gator Country.

Edited by biggie.
  • Like 1

The weird thing is that the Jaguars didn't bother to ask anybody who was tuned into football in a capacity that did not require them to play nice in order to retain access to programs.  Since "No, you don't want to hire Urban Meyer" was a thing lots and lots of people with Florida or Ohio State connections could have told you.

7 minutes ago, PossibleCabbage said:

The weird thing is that the Jaguars didn't bother to ask anybody who was tuned into football in a capacity that did not require them to play nice in order to retain access to programs.  Since "No, you don't want to hire Urban Meyer" was a thing lots and lots of people with Florida or Ohio State connections could have told you.

Luke Fickell and Mike Vrabel both famously hated him.

And bailing on two top end college programs when things got challenging is never a good look.

On 3/24/2022 at 12:54 PM, biggie. said:

I'm a Florida fan and the good he did for us was undone when he quit on us because the going got tough in the post-Tebow era.

Him going to Ohio State made things even worse. We don't like FSU or Bama but OSU is Satan to us in Gator Country.

There was also the awful culture he created and the criminality he covered for. There's not much love for Urban in Gator County, despite the national titles.

It always cracks me up when everything recent is assigned as either the greatest ever or worst ever. Absurd exaggeration became a prized commodity once talk shows and then social media exploded, forcing everyone to pretend that every new variable is ultra significant and has to be fully scrutinized.

Allow me to belly laugh. I believe in generalities. Once Jack Easterby ousted the public relations lady due to not being a cultural fit I knew that would hardly be the end of it and his next acts would be far more extreme. That's the type of mindset that succeeded in Las Vegas so I'm not setting it aside. Urban Meyer put together easily the most talented team in the nation from a SPARQ standpoint. Those numbers were incredibly lopsided. It was more than worthwhile to attempt the same thing in the NFL, as opposed to hiring some touted assistant coach who will try to dominate the world via one subjective decision after another. 

12 hours ago, Awsi Dooger said:

It always cracks me up when everything recent is assigned as either the greatest ever or worst ever. Absurd exaggeration became a prized commodity once talk shows and then social media exploded, forcing everyone to pretend that every new variable is ultra significant and has to be fully scrutinized.

Allow me to belly laugh. I believe in generalities. Once Jack Easterby ousted the public relations lady due to not being a cultural fit I knew that would hardly be the end of it and his next acts would be far more extreme. That's the type of mindset that succeeded in Las Vegas so I'm not setting it aside. Urban Meyer put together easily the most talented team in the nation from a SPARQ standpoint. Those numbers were incredibly lopsided. It was more than worthwhile to attempt the same thing in the NFL, as opposed to hiring some touted assistant coach who will try to dominate the world via one subjective decision after another. 

Steve Harvey Reaction GIF

• Like 3