“The most toxic environment I’ve ever been a part of” - Inside the Urban Meyer fiasco

.Buzz

26 minutes ago, agarcia34 said:

That John Brown quote JFC!!

Honestly, I’m a bit surprised someone in the Jags organization didn’t just pull back and deck the guy.

There’s toughness from guys who ride plays hard, then there’s insulting you for no other reason outside of not knowing any better. Assuming I’m stupid is a sure fire way to catch a foot in the crotch from me.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, notthatbluestuff said:

I don't know how to ask this without flirting with the rules, but are we thinking there are racist connotations in this quote? Or am I just missing something?

Because on the surface without having read the article (no sub), this doesn't feel super crazy? I mean, in the "you shouldn't belittle your players" sense, sure, but we knew Meyer was a jerk already. It's why he lost the locker room. I'm just asking because like "hey you know those boys from the south are kinda dumb" seems like a relatively mild zinger compared to how I imagined a lot of NFL practices went or certainly some of his other quotes lol.

I mean, that seems pretty mild compared to what was said to me when I was 20 years old working at the Cheesecake Factory and had to tell the cooks I forgot an order during rush haha.

I do, however, agree with the overall sentiment that there is a difference between coaching someone tough and just ego tripping and Meyer certainly fell on the latter side. I was just wondering because like 3 people referenced that quote, so I was curious if there was more to it than I was reading.

Edited by Soggust
thought it was news forum

5 minutes ago, Charles said:

How did Urban ever succeed at the college level?  I mean, the level of failure here is just awe inspiring.   This has to be a glitch in the matrix right?

He can recruit his *** off.

He’s also The Godfather of modernizing spread offenses and zone read schemes. He’s not the inventor, but he took that system and maximized the hell out of it with Florida and Ohio State athletes.

Tebow was unfair in that system.

Edited by candyman93
  • Like 2

22 minutes ago, Soggust said:
1 hour ago, notthatbluestuff said:

I don't know how to ask this without flirting with the rules, but are we thinking there are racist connotations in this quote? Or am I just missing something?

It's certainly weird that he said "these boys from the south" to Trevor Lawrence, who went to HS in Georgia and college in Clemson. Lawrence doesn't have a super heavy southern accent, but that's a weird comment.

Edited by ramssuperbowl99
  • Like 10

24 minutes ago, Soggust said:

Because on the surface without having read the article (no sub), this doesn't feel super crazy? I mean, in the "you shouldn't belittle your players" sense, sure, but we knew Meyer was a jerk already. It's why he lost the locker room. I'm just asking because like "hey you know those boys from the south are kinda dumb" seems like a relatively mild zinger compared to how I imagined a lot of NFL practices went or certainly some of his other quotes lol.

I mean, that seems pretty mild compared to what was said to me when I was 20 years old working at the Cheesecake Factory and had to tell the cooks I forgot an order during rush haha.

I do, however, agree with the overall sentiment that there is a difference between coaching someone tough and just ego tripping and Meyer certainly fell on the latter side. I was just wondering because like 3 people referenced that quote, so I was curious if there was more to it than I was reading.

1 minute ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

It's certainly weird that he said "these boys from the south" to Trevor Lawrence, who went to HS in Georgia and college in Clemson. He doesn't have a super heavy southern accent, but that's a weird comment.

Yeah, that’s what I was gonna say. I assume that there’s a racism element there too, but also clearly having no clue about where your own QB, who was also the highest profile player in college football for the last two and a half years, is from is just like inexcusably bad.

We’re reaching levels of incompetence that would be panned if they were in a movie for being too unrealistic.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, INbengalfan said:

Alcoholism?  Some other addiction?  Or just an out of touch sociopath?

I always disliked him, but let that go for four hours on Saturdays when he was at OSU.  I used to date a FLA booster, who was full of nasty tidbits from his years there.

Go on.😁

9 minutes ago, Daniel said:

Yeah, that’s what I was gonna say. I assume that there’s a racism element there too, but also clearly having no clue about where your own QB, who was also the highest profile player in college football for the last two and a half years, is from is just like inexcusably bad.

We’re reaching levels of incompetence that would be panned if they were in a movie for being too unrealistic.

Besides college, Trevor Lawrence was a generational HS player while Urban was the HC of a major CFB program. 

There's no way Urban didn't know where Lawrence was from.

Edited by ramssuperbowl99
  • Like 5

6 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

Besides college, Trevor Lawrence was a generational HS player while Urban was the HC of a major CFB program. 

There's no way Urban didn't know where Lawrence was from.

Counterpoint - he legitimately didn’t know who Aaron Donald was.

• Like 9

1 hour ago, INbengalfan said:

Alcoholism?  Some other addiction?  Or just an out of touch sociopath?

I always disliked him, but let that go for four hours on Saturdays when he was at OSU.  I used to date a FLA booster, who was full of nasty tidbits from his years there.

Why would we limit ourselves to just one?

He could absolutely be an alcoholic sociopath. 

• Like 1