Vikings Sign Za’Darius Smith

gopherwrestler

8 hours ago, vikingsrule said:

Seems the team is valuing pass rush and the front 7 over the back four. I don’t think there’s anything wrong with that in the end. I feel like having a subpar pass rush won’t get you anywhere, even with stout CBs, feel like receivers will eventually get open if the QB isn’t in a hurry. So I think the approach is to dominate the LOS, get after the QB and hope the secondary holds up. But it’s also a pretty solid CB class so maybe they’ve felt confident in the options at 12 and getting a legit starter. 

The Vikings were 5th worst in the NFL in passing yards allowed per game last year yet were #2 overall in sacks....  So they got pressure on the QB and impacted the QB with the front four/seven but it did not matter because their corners sucked.  And as of right now not sure they have better corners now than last year.  

They signed Z. Smith great, what have they done at CB, Chandon Sullivan and Nate Hairston and Tye Smith?  Yeah I have a problem with that, sure it is a some what deep CB group in the draft but they sure better get one based on who they have right now.  That could changes things but it is a big if unless they are totally sold on McDuffie who could be around when they draft, Stingley and Gardner are gambles if they will be around.  

So hopefully it is addressed in a big way come draft time.  

Sack numbers are not indicative to pressure affecting the QB. When it came to pressuring the QB the Vikings were actually quite poor. They ranked 30th in pass rush win rate, meaning that they did pressure the QB very often. What’s even worse is that the majority of the Vikings’ sacks were deemed coverage sacks, meaning that the player credited with the sack did not achieve the sack by beating his man off the snap of the ball.

The Vikings high sack total was far more related to how often teams passed against them. And it was a lot. 

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

Sack numbers are not indicative to pressure affecting the QB. When it came to pressuring the QB the Vikings were actually quite poor. They ranked 30th in pass rush win rate, meaning that they did pressure the QB very often. What’s even worse is that the majority of the Vikings’ sacks were deemed coverage sacks, meaning that the player credited with the sack did not achieve the sack by beating his man off the snap of the ball.

The Vikings high sack total was far more related to how often teams passed against them. And it was a lot. 

True, they were also 4th most in the NFL in total passes allowed at 626 so sure there were a lot more attempts against them and more opportunities to get sacks.  But the Titans, Seahawks and Buccaneers, none of them were top five and sacks in the league and all of those teams had more pass attempts allowed on them than the Vikings.  There is a difference between getting pressures and actually getting home and getting sacks, and the Vikings obviously did that last year and...

But statistics are pretty damn deceptive at times, the Vikings in 2021 were 4th best in the league in 3rd down defense at  36.45% opponent conversion rate.  They were with Buffalo, Dallas and Baltimore in that group yet as a defense overall totally sucked and were near the bottom in yards allowed passing and rushing and bottom 1/3 or 1/4ish in points allowed.  Buffalo obviously being the #1 defense overall I believe last year.  

Either way they got a high sack number but it did not really matter, same with the Steelers they were great at sacking the QB but not a great D overall.  Good against the pass but dead last against the run.  It just is not as simple as build it inside out, you need great players at every level and if not you will be exposed.  

• 3 weeks later...

I've been curious to wonder where Barr eventually ends up...Adam Zimmer, like his dad, hasn't been hired as a coach anywhere.  Possibly, he could end up in NY with Andre Patterson post-draft (because that's when he's likely going to sign somewhere) or in Dallas with George Edwards (who is the senior defensive assistant).

4 minutes ago, swede700 said:

I would think he'd still want to give it one more go, if someone gives him a shot in camp for a veteran minimum deal.

And from listening to Barr speak, I don’t think he’d have any interest in playing for veteran minimum. From what I’ve read and from what I’ve heard he’s not someone that needs the money, and he has multiple interests beyond football. 

45 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

And from listening to Barr speak, I don’t think he’d have any interest in playing for veteran minimum. From what I’ve read and from what I’ve heard he’s not someone that needs the money, and he has multiple interests beyond football. 

Would seem like the smart move for Barr unless he’s determined to win a super bowl, which I don’t really think is a huge deal to most players at this point. Always seemed like just a guy here, he’s earned himself a lot of money so I wouldn’t blame him for walking away while still healthy.

• 6 months later...

Reminder of the sack incentives built into Za'Darius Smith's contract this year:

• $500,000 for 8.5 sacks or
• $750,000 for 10.5 sacks or
• $1 million for 12.5 sacks If reached, the payout would hit the cap NEXT season

Currently, the Vikings have very little cap space. OTC has them at a mere $862,928. Keep in mind that that’s a number that will change with some regularity. The overall point, though, is that Minnesota doesn’t have too much room left in their current budget. Thankfully, the bonuses Za’Darius Smith may attain will hit next year’s salary cap.

https://purpleptsd.com/2022/vikings/top_news/zadarius-smith-is-nearing-a-major-bonus/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=facebook

Edited by vike daddy
  • Like 2