Vikings Sign Za’Darius Smith

gopherwrestler

Just now, vikes635 said:

Love this signing, been a big fan of Z since his Baltimore days. This also increases the chance we go CB (Stingley Jr.) at 12 which is what I'm wanting. This is a big piece we needed to go to that 4-3 under formation. @Uncle Buck I can appreciate the switch, don't be a stranger.

Thanks buddy.  I'll poke my head in here from time to time. 

Here's a question for you:  If Sauce Gardner and Derek Stingley are both there at #12, who would you take?  A few months ago, Stingley was the concensus #1 CB in the draft, but it seems like Sauce has caught up to him on a lot of mocks.

6 hours ago, Uncle Buck said:

Thanks buddy.  I'll poke my head in here from time to time. 

Here's a question for you:  If Sauce Gardner and Derek Stingley are both there at #12, who would you take?  A few months ago, Stingley was the concensus #1 CB in the draft, but it seems like Sauce has caught up to him on a lot of mocks.

I said sauce during bowl season. I love sauce. I believe it was @Ozzythat still favored Stingley at that point. I will admit it’s still close. Stingley when healthy is dominate

• Like 2

Za'Darius' salary on the ravens' contract averaged about $8 million.  I think Kwesi offered too much to get him to sign with The Vikings.  A back problem can recur.   I think he could have gotten Smith to sign for maybe an average of $11 million.  That seems like not worth risking not getting him.  But, The Vikings will be very limited in additional Cap Space they can manufacture for this season.  So, I'd rather have had Kwesi hold a harder line, and squeeze a little more out.  The contract should have more of a safety net with insurance against lack of availability for recurring injury.  I'd like enough cap room left to sign Tretter and Peterson, in addition to the draftees, and a couple more backups at different positions.  Most of the draftees won't be able to play right away.

Edited by Robb_K

36 minutes ago, Robb_K said:

Za'Darius' salary on the ravens' contract averaged about $8 million.  I think Kwesi offered too much to get him to sign with The Vikings.  A back problem can recur.   I think he could have gotten Smith to sign for maybe an average of $11 million.  That seems like not worth risking not getting him.  But, The Vikings will be very limited in additional Cap Space they can manufacture for this season.  So, I'd rather have had Kwesi hold a harder line, and squeeze a little more out.  The contract should have more of a safety net with insurance against lack of availability for recurring injury.  I'd like enough cap room left to sign Tredder and Peterson, in addition to the draftees, and a couple more backups at different positions.  Most of the draftees won't be able to play right away.

What the Ravens offered is irrelevant. There’s a reason Smith walked away from that deal. It was a massive low ball contract based on what the market for pass rushers was doing. 

$14M AAV for a pass rusher of Smith’s ability is a very good deal. 

• Like 3

Yup, right in line with other deals signed by similarly aged players; Haason Reddick (28 - $15M APY), Frank Clark (29 - $14.5M), Randy Gregory (30 - $14M), Demarcus Lawrence (30 - $13.33M), and Preston Smith (30 - $13M). Our old pal Yannick Ngakoue could be thrown in as well at 27 years old and $13M.

Here's where these players rank on the active sacks list. I threw in some benchmark spots as well as Danielle Hunter for some reference points.

1. Von Miller (115.5) - 150 career games
10. Calais Campbell (93.5) - 213 career games
15. T.J. Watt (72.0) - 77 career games
21. Danielle Hunter (60.5) - 85 career games
29. Yannick Ngakoue (55.5) - 95 career games
30. Frank Clark (53.5)  - 105 career games
38. Preston Smith (49.5) - 112 career games
40. Demarcus Lawrence (48.5) - 103 career games
43. Za'Darius Smith (44.5) - 91 career games
50. Denico Autry (39.5) - 113 career games
----------------------------------------
Haason Reddick (31.0) - 80 career games
Randy Gregory (16.0) - 50 career games

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Robb_K said:

Za'Darius' salary on the ravens' contract averaged about $8 million.  I think Kwesi offered too much to get him to sign with The Vikings.  A back problem can recur.   I think he could have gotten Smith to sign for maybe an average of $11 million.  That seems like not worth risking not getting him.  But, The Vikings will be very limited in additional Cap Space they can manufacture for this season.  So, I'd rather have had Kwesi hold a harder line, and squeeze a little more out.  The contract should have more of a safety net with insurance against lack of availability for recurring injury.  I'd like enough cap room left to sign Tredder and Peterson, in addition to the draftees, and a couple more backups at different positions.  Most of the draftees won't be able to play right away.

I have yet to see any link or report that JC Trettor is interested in the Vikings, or heck if Vikings want to move on from Bradbury. 

there could certainly be a “minny premium” built in to get him to come here over a different city. 

hard to note how negotiations go. But my question is did KAM not contact Z agent before Free Agency, to let him know that we have interest and to keep in touch. That would have been prudent, instead of getting lucky that an opportunity to get him presented itself. 

5 minutes ago, CriminalMind said:

there could certainly be a “minny premium” built in to get him to come here over a different city. 

Proof? Or is this just speculation to bolster a preconceived notion?

Because he's played in Green Bay and Cleveland. Minneapolis blows those places off the map.

Edited by wcblack34

1 hour ago, Robb_K said:

you don't even know the guaranteed money yet 

10 minutes ago, CriminalMind said:

Lets not pretend they didn’t have an opportunity to speak to Z camp (one way or another), at the same time that Baltimore did. 

why does it matter? He's here, he's a Viking and not a Raven. Vikings did something right to convince him to come here.