DC Movie Universe

devils1854

Just now, AlexGreen#20 said:

You know a show is gonna suck when even the advertising is like, "we're making a batgirl show. WITH MICHAEL ******* KEATON REPRISING BATMAN!!!"

How can anybody be legit excited for this crap?

It's almost like they are confusing Old Man Bruce for Old Man Logan.

9 hours ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

You know a show is gonna suck when even the advertising is like, "we're making a batgirl show. WITH MICHAEL ******* KEATON REPRISING BATMAN!!!"

How can anybody be legit excited for this crap?

You and I seem to agree on a good bit when it comes to the DC crap, but under the right circumstances, that could/would excite me.

Have you ever seen Batman Beyond?    If this were a show like that with Terry McGinnis as Batman....that could be amazing.

The reason I am not excited for this is because a) first and foremost, outside of BatMAN, I dont get excited for anything from DC anymore, b) they completely failed to develop any interest in her character prior to this (which is why they are hoping Keaton will drive more views, and c) the DCEU, from the movies to the Arrowverse, is laughably bad at writing female heroines.    Wonder Woman was done pretty well in her first solo film, but outside of  that was terrible.    And dont get me into the Arrowverse....although pretty much everyone is written terribly on those shows....but especially Supergirl. Batwoman and then other leads like Iris West and Felicity Smoak (Felicity started off great, but she was ruined by clueless writers).

1 minute ago, 43M said:

You and I seem to agree on a good bit when it comes to the DC crap, but under the right circumstances, that could/would excite me.

Have you ever seen Batman Beyond?    If this were a show like that with Terry McGinnis as Batman....that could be amazing.

The reason I am not excited for this is because a) first and foremost, outside of BatMAN, I dont get excited for anything from DC anymore, b) they completely failed to develop any interest in her character prior to this (which is why they are hoping Keaton will drive more views, and c) the DCEU, from the movies to the Arrowverse, is laughably bad at writing female heroines.    Wonder Woman was done pretty well in her first solo film, but outside of  that was terrible.    And dont get me into the Arrowverse....although pretty much everyone is written terribly on those shows....but especially Supergirl. Batwoman and then other leads like Iris West and Felicity Smoak (Felicity started off great, but she was ruined by clueless writers).

I love Batman Beyond. 

If HBO was doing a live action Batman Beyond with Dylan O'Brien as Terry McGinnis and Michael Keaton as Old Man Bruce, I would be the first one in line.

But Batman Beyond has so much more going for it than whatever this is.

• The suit did so much of the heavy lifting while Terry figured his **** out.
  • Batman Beyond didn't mind kicking in Terry's teeth occasionally to make a point, something we know this show will never do. 
  • Terry at least had moldable clay. He was a cut dude who had some kind of combat training with his wrestling.
  • It was animated, so you had a far more believable hero. Things like the flying batmobile I can't really see this show having the budget to look decent. 
  • It wasn't burdened by now mandated subplots about diversity and inclusion. 

Was Wonder Woman done well in her first solo film, or did Gal Gadot look good and the writers did a passable job plagiarizing Captain America: The First Avenger? Nobody has been able to explain to me why she all of a sudden had daddy issues when David Thewlis as Redskull Ares randomly showed up for a big boss fight in the third act.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

I love Batman Beyond. 

If HBO was doing a live action Batman Beyond with Dylan O'Brien as Terry McGinnis and Michael Keaton as Old Man Bruce, I would be the first one in line.

But Batman Beyond has so much more going for it than whatever this is.

• The suit did so much of the heavy lifting while Terry figured his **** out.
  • Batman Beyond didn't mind kicking in Terry's teeth occasionally to make a point, something we know this show will never do. 
  • Terry at least had moldable clay. He was a cut dude who had some kind of combat training with his wrestling.
  • It was animated, so you had a far more believable hero. Things like the flying batmobile I can't really see this show having the budget to look decent. 
  • It wasn't burdened by now mandated subplots about diversity and inclusion. 

I 100% agree with everything there.

The post I quoted made it sound like you were bashing the idea of Keaton playing Batman again, but I guess I misunderstood.

34 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Was Wonder Woman done well in her first solo film, or did Gal Gadot look good and the writers did a passable job plagiarizing Captain America: The First Avenger? Nobody has been able to explain to me why she all of a sudden had daddy issues when David Thewlis as Redskull Ares randomly showed up for a big boss fight in the third act.

The original Wonder Woman was far from perfect, but relative to everything else, Wonder Woman was written decently well in that film.    I actually felt like they developed her as a female heroine without resorting to cheap and lazy tactics that many writers today use (i.e....making her a Mary Sue, making the men around her laughably stupid and incompetent to prop her up, etc...)

Peacemaker trailers were garbage but the show is entertaining as ****.

I don't think the Batgirl costume is trash...more meh. It looks like high end cosplay. The problem is it's going to bomb hard like that Naomi show because DC has no idea what they're doing. Letting guys like Gunn and Reeves do everything on their own projects has been their only saving grace. Funny/depressing thing is any legit fan with a smidge of talent could turn things around in an instant.

16 hours ago, 43M said:

The original Wonder Woman was far from perfect, but relative to everything else, Wonder Woman was written decently well in that film.    I actually felt like they developed her as a female heroine without resorting to cheap and lazy tactics that many writers today use (i.e....making her a Mary Sue, making the men around her laughably stupid and incompetent to prop her up, etc...)

Those aren’t that much different from stuff used to prop up all heroes though. Some of people’s favorite heroes are “Marty” Sue’s, and the amount of damsels or chubby/ugly/short male sidekicks kinda do the same thing.

IDK it’s just something I’ve thought about for awhile. I’d like to try to more succinctly nail why some stuff hasn’t worked the last 8 or so years.

It’s an easy well to go, and kinda raises it immediately out of legitimate criticisms for a lot of people. Closes down conversation.

Like with this Costume, I think to stuff like Kickass, Super, any level of street level budget superhero tale and it doesn’t seem like it’s noticeably bad, comic accurate gets it a bonus too for some people. Like how many things have we been fine with watching where the main person started off with a more budget take they could pull off before upgrading. If this is near the start for her it seems like it makes sense she wouldn’t have like full body shell armor yet and just practically with stuff like the boots…they make sense unlike the heels comics and some adaptations try to do all the time. Even if this is it it lines up with a lot.

I guess I just don’t see why this is different.

3 hours ago, Kiltman said:

Like with this Costume, I think to stuff like Kickass, Super, any level of street level budget superhero tale and it doesn’t seem like it’s noticeably bad, comic accurate gets it a bonus too for some people. Like how many things have we been fine with watching where the main person started off with a more budget take they could pull off before upgrading. If this is near the start for her it seems like it makes sense she wouldn’t have like full body shell armor yet and just practically with stuff like the boots…they make sense unlike the heels comics and some adaptations try to do all the time. Even if this is it it lines up with a lot.

I guess I just don’t see why this is different.

I actually agree.   The costume itself isnt the main issue, but more reflective of the pessimism myself and many others have for WB/DC.

Let me put it this way....if she was an MCU character being introduced to their universe, I dont think the backlash would be as bad, because generally people tend to be much more optimistic and open minded for the MCU, because their universe is carefully structured and their decisions usually make sense and pay off.

The DCEU has been utterly mishandled in almost every single way.   A few decent movies, but largely an incoherent mess with no sense of direction.    That goes for all the shows too.    Its hard to give anything they do the benefit of the doubt because they have burnt fans so many times.

Batgirl could be an awesome character.   Many iterations of her are....but this just feels so forced.   I feel like its being set up to fail.   If done right, EVENTUALLY, I think a show like this could have worked....but Ill be shocked if this gets more than 1 season.   Or maybe it will get transfered to the CW like Supergirl did, since CW is willing to put up with laughably bad ratings.

I hope the show is good for those looking forward to it, but I have zero interest or faith in anything DC does anymore outside of Batman.

2 hours ago, 43M said:

I actually agree.   The costume itself isnt the main issue, but more reflective of the pessimism myself and many others have for WB/DC.

Let me put it this way....if she was an MCU character being introduced to their universe, I dont think the backlash would be as bad, because generally people tend to be much more optimistic and open minded for the MCU, because their universe is carefully structured and their decisions usually make sense and pay off.

The DCEU has been utterly mishandled in almost every single way.   A few decent movies, but largely an incoherent mess with no sense of direction.    That goes for all the shows too.    Its hard to give anything they do the benefit of the doubt because they have burnt fans so many times.

Batgirl could be an awesome character.   Many iterations of her are....but this just feels so forced.   I feel like its being set up to fail.   If done right, EVENTUALLY, I think a show like this could have worked....but Ill be shocked if this gets more than 1 season.   Or maybe it will get transfered to the CW like Supergirl did, since CW is willing to put up with laughably bad ratings.

I hope the show is good for those looking forward to it, but I have zero interest or faith in anything DC does anymore outside of Batman.

I get the pessimism, and yeah the MCU would’ve handled an intro way different. Kate Bishop is an easy 1to1 comparison recently. As is Cassie, Antman’s daughter, who will finally become what she was in the comics next year.

But there is a certain freedom DC has to really do more unique things. Have higher stakes or just go off and do another take on a character. Like we wouldn’t have gotten Joker or the new Batman movie, a lot easier for them to just move on and do new stuff. Which is a pro and a con. As someone maxed out on content I’m glad it’s very easy to opt in for DC and not another expansive universe I need to pay attention to personally.

But you’re right they have burnt people way more than they’ve delivered. And the successes seem like accidents.

Also I’m pretty sure this is a movie. I know originally they said it’d be for HBOMax, but I vaguely remember them changing it for a theatrical release too.