2022 MLB Discussion/Game Day Thread

beekay414

9 hours ago, Thelonebillsfan said:

Two disengagements from the rubber -- including pickoff attempts -- per plate appearance

I have some issues with all of them, but this one is downright stupid; at least the pickoff part. After a 2nd disengagement the runner will just go to the next base(s) before the pitches are even thrown and there is nothing the defense can do about it. 

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Thelonebillsfan said:

I can at least mentally talk myself into this one as there's already at least some semblance of a precedent in terms of having catchers as the only position player who can be outside of fair territory, and as a result I'd lean more towards liking the "have to be on the dirt" aspect for infielders vs. outfielders instead of limiting which side of the field.

Why are they banning timeouts effectively?

This one I can actually get behind for hitters. A college teammate of mine used to automatically call timeout every time he had 2 strikes on him with a runner on base when the pitcher would come set.

WHY ARE YOU LIMITING ******* PICKOFFS?!?!

They have no idea what they're doing to the sport.

This one is nothing short of egregious. Essentially no pitcher will throw over twice and if he does then the runner can jog to 2nd or 3rd base unimpeded. 

Just now, Thelonebillsfan said:

Not being able to pick guys off isn't even going to make the games shorter it's going to make them exponentially longer because guys are going to be stealing bags left and right!

If the MLB had a clue or actually cared, they'd invest in infrastructure into inner city communities and engage with the youth programs instead of allowing this to continue to devolve into a rich man's game. All it used to take was a glove, a couple of balls, and some cheap bats with some space. Now it's select travel teams and brand new uniforms with $1,500 summer buy ins so you can take your 9 year old to showcase tournaments. Not even joking. That's where we are folks.

So much for Legion Ball until you get to HS and then playing select from there.

1 minute ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

Lifetime Nationals fan seems like the punishment fits the crime.

Gotta love the dude still wearing a Soto jersey. He'll come back in free agency, I'm sure of it.

I laughed, then remembered the 2019 World Series, then remembered my Francisco Lindor Jersey that I've got hanging in my closet that I have no idea what to do with. Between the Indians script on the front, the 2016 World Series Patch on the sleeve, and the Lindor on the back...well now I'm depressed.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

I laughed, then remembered the 2019 World Series, then remembered my Francisco Lindor Jersey that I've got hanging in my closet that I have no idea what to do with. Between the Indians script on the front, the 2016 World Series Patch on the sleeve, and the Lindor on the back...well now I'm depressed.

Ha yeah to be clear not making fun of him for Soto leaving, making fun of him for still wearing the jersey after he's gone.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mesa_Titan said:

Explain Doom and Gloom. Banning the shift is excellent for the sport.

Nope. Hitters learning how to approach hitting better so they go the other way on pitches that aren't driveable is excellent for the sport. Incentivizing not doing that is not.

14 minutes ago, mse326 said:

Nope. Hitters learning how to approach hitting better so they go the other way on pitches that aren't driveable is excellent for the sport. Incentivizing not doing that is not.

In a way, I agree but I also feel like it's an unrealistic expectation. Pitching is as good as it's ever been. Pitchers throw harder with more movement and more control than ever. It's not as easy as "just go the other way" anymore. Most times, when guys go the other way on non-driveable pitches, they are weak hits. Nobody cares about weak hits.

I feel like banning the shift is kinda bull**** but I also see where they are coming from. It's the other rules that I'm more annoyed with.

52 minutes ago, mse326 said:

Meh, that’s an opinion. Not a far fetched one, but it’s factual that more offense is better for the game as far as watchability goes. As much as I like pitchers duels, offense is too down across the board. And unless you’re a fan of altering the mound again, which I am not. It needs fixed. Banning the shift is a perfect solution.