S Malcolm Jenkins retiring

RaidersAreOne

When he reduced his base salaries to the minimums (as opposed to a restructure) earlier in the offseason, it was a pretty clear indication that this was going to happen. I wonder what caused the delay.

He was a pretty average safety on the field for us but he’s an awesome leader and seems to be a really quality character.

Enjoy retirement Malcolm, I’m very grateful we got to see him in New Orleans again and even more happy he ended his career where it began.

Edited by Dome
  • Like 3

Just now, Chiefs_5627 said:

Does this open the door for Honey Badger?

It’s just a guess, but: Marcus Maye, CJGJ, Dan Sorenson and PJ Williams (if re-signed) will likely all see time with Maye (and/or Williams) likely playing more FS and Sorenson/CJGJ playing a slot/SS role.

I don’t see them bringing in another DB until the draft, they’re pretty much set for starters.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, sammymvpknight said:

Makes sense why Honey Badger hasn’t signed yet. The Saints have lots of CSP space that was opened for Watson. 

I don’t think it fully explains it…

Saints had $30m even after Watson had signed elsewhere… and the saints went after Sorenson.

Jenkins lowered his base salaries almost a month ago, they could’ve signed Honeybadger. 

Edited by Dome

Just now, Dome said:

I don’t think it fully explains it…

Saints had $30m even after Watson had signed elsewhere and they went after Sorenson.

Jenkins lowered his base salaries almost a month ago, they could’ve signed Honeybadger. 

Just pointing out that they could sign him if they’d like. There have been rumblings of Jenkins retiring, but I don’t think that the Saints would have signed Honey Badger until the retirement was official for a number of reasons. Sorensen is a depth move, and I think the Saints figured to get him under contract in case Jenkins doesn’t retire but Mathieu in the meantime signs elsewhere.  

• Like 1