Which Head Coach do you think is under the most pressure this season?

CP3MVP

I made the thread about QBs last week and this week it’s head coach. If you had to pick one head coach who you think is under the most pressure this season who would it be for you?

For me it’s Todd Bowles. His first stint in New York was a disaster but it’s blamed on bad QB and a horrible Roster. Not the case in Tampa, he’s getting a top 5 team with a win now mandate. Anything less than let’s say the NFC title game would be viewed as a failure. 

Matt Rhule.. has shown he has no idea what he is doing so far. If they start 0/4 or 1-5, he’s finished. Most of his coaches already abandoned the sinking ship, and he doesn’t even have a Top 40 QB on his roster. 

And he hired Ben McAdoo…

• Like 1

In theory he wont technically be but in my mind he is. Thats Pete Caroll. The Seahawks choose him over Russ and now lets see how Pete does. He want things to be done his way which is run the ball and play defense. They just cut Wagner and handled it so poorly and now no player from the "Legion of Boom" days are on the team. So Pete is literally having revamp the defense while trying to find another franchise QB. If things go horribly wrong this season and especially if Russ pulls a Brady and Stafford and take the Broncos to the Superbowl and win this season. The noise will get extremely loud in Seattle and I could see Pete stepping down or retiring or however you want to call it bc he know its only a matter of time before he will eventually get fired if the Seahawks continue to just struggle and lose with no positive future in sight while Russ is thriving in Denver. 

• Like 1

In terms of being on the hot seat I'd say that Matt Rhule is probably under the most pressure. But I could also see Pete Carroll, Kliff Kingsbury, and Ron Rivera potentially being replaced after next season too. Guys like Brandon Staley, Matt LeFleur, and Kevin Stefanski are all also under a pretty good amount of pressure to take a step up next year as well. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, stl4life07 said:

In theory he wont technically be but in my mind he is. Thats Pete Caroll. The Seahawks choose him over Russ and now lets see how Pete does. He want things to be done his way which is run the ball and play defense. They just cut Wagner and handled it so poorly and now no player from the "Legion of Boom" days are on the team. So Pete is literally having revamp the defense while trying to find another franchise QB. If things go horribly wrong this season and especially if Russ pulls a Brady and Stafford and take the Broncos to the Superbowl and win this season. The noise will get extremely loud in Seattle and I could see Pete stepping down or retiring or however you want to call it bc he know its only a matter of time before he will eventually get fired if the Seahawks continue to just struggle and lose with no positive future in sight while Russ is thriving in Denver. 

Yeah but they’re in complete rebuild mode. They’re not supposed to be good this year. If they suck next year then he’s on the hot seat.

By trading Russ he actually bought himself more time 

• Like 2

Hot seat coaches for me:

- Matt Rhule

- Ron Rivera

- Kliff Kingsbury

- Lovie Smith (He's just there as a placeholder until they finally hire McCown)

- Mike McCarthy

Less likely to be fired, but could if it falls off a cliff:

- Pete Carroll

- Kevin Stefanski

- Frank Reich

- Dan Campbell

- Arthur Smith

- Robert Saleh

Of the other 21 coaches, 9 are new to their role so pretty unlikely to be fired in year 1. The other 12 are:

Belichick/Tomlin/Harbaugh/McVay/Reid - Job is there's as long as they want it

Shanahan - People were starting to put him on the hot seat, but then he went and made the NFC title game for the second time in three seasons.

Sean McDermott - Has helped Buffalo go from a laughing stock to a legit contender.

Zac Taylor - He was on the hot seat last year, now he's one of the most desirable coaches in the league.

Matt LaFleur - Since he took over from McCarthy, the Packers have a great regular season record. He needs to start winning playoff games, but I don't think his job is in any danger at all.

Mike Vrabel - 1 seed last year

Nick Sirianni - Made the playoffs in year 1, should buy him at least 2 more seasons.

Brandon Staley - Nearly made the playoffs in year 1 and it viewed as an upcoming young coach

• Like 2

8 hours ago, NYRaider said:

In terms of being on the hot seat I'd say that Matt Rhule is probably under the most pressure. But I could also see Pete Carroll, Kliff Kingsbury, and Ron Rivera potentially being replaced after next season too. Guys like Brandon Staley, Matt LeFleur, and Kevin Stefanski are all also under a pretty good amount of pressure to take a step up next year as well. 

Matt Rhule will probably be the first coach fired 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, paul-mac said:

Hot seat coaches for me:

- Matt Rhule

- Ron Rivera

- Kliff Kingsbury

- Lovie Smith (He's just there as a placeholder until they finally hire McCown)

- Mike McCarthy

Less likely to be fired, but could if it falls off a cliff:

- Pete Carroll

- Kevin Stefanski

- Frank Reich

- Dan Campbell

- Arthur Smith

- Robert Saleh

Of the other 21 coaches, 9 are new to their role so pretty unlikely to be fired in year 1. The other 12 are:

Belichick/Tomlin/Harbaugh/McVay/Reid - Job is there's as long as they want it

Shanahan - People were starting to put him on the hot seat, but then he went and made the NFC title game for the second time in three seasons.

Sean McDermott - Has helped Buffalo go from a laughing stock to a legit contender.

Zac Taylor - He was on the hot seat last year, now he's one of the most desirable coaches in the league.

Matt LaFleur - Since he took over from McCarthy, the Packers have a great regular season record. He needs to start winning playoff games, but I don't think his job is in any danger at all.

Mike Vrabel - 1 seed last year

Nick Sirianni - Made the playoffs in year 1, should buy him at least 2 more seasons.

Brandon Staley - Nearly made the playoffs in year 1 and it viewed as an upcoming young coach

I wouldn't say Arthur Smith is likely to be fired at all. Expectations in Atlanta are 2-3 wins. If he does that, he's fine.

Matt Rhule - He doesnt seem like good NFL coach and I was surprised he wasnt fired this offseason.

Kliff Kingsberry - If the riff with Kyler is legit the brass might have to decide between the potential frnachise QB or the HC.

Kevin Stefanksi - If Watson plays most or all the games and the Browns still look like the Browns I can see them canning him and Cleveland instantly becomes the #1 HC destination. 

Cold assuming they don't retire or kill someone: Belichick, Tomlin, Harbaugh, Reid, McDermott, McVay, Shanahan, Vrabel, Taylor, LaFleur
Cold for their first year, unless they're a disaster: Eberflus, Hackett, Pederson, McDaniels, McDaniel, O'Connell, Allen, Daboll, Bowles
Cool for now, but could warm up if the team is bad enough: Arthur Smith, Campbell, Staley, Saleh, Siranni
Warm: Carroll, Reich, Kingsbury, Stefanski
Warm because Jack Easterby really wants McCown: Lovie Smith
Hot because Jerry Jones really wants Payton: McCarthy
Hot: Rivera, Rhule

Edited by jonnguy2015
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, jonnguy2015 said:

Warm: Carroll

Given the choice between keeping Slippery Pete or Nanobubble boy...the Seahawks retained Pete Carroll.
He's not going anywhere and his seat is as comfy as can be in this league

And since Jerry is now jacking up the over-priced tickets in Dallas by 20 %, the pressure is even higher on McCarthy to deliver a Title.
(Or maybe that's just to cover the escalating legal fees)

https://www.star-telegram.com/sports/nfl/dallas-cowboys/article260023085.html