49ers Forum Movie / Music / TV & General entertainment thread

Forge

Subtitles?   

18 members have voted

1. 1. Do you watch movies and tv shows with or without subtitles?

• With
    • Without
    • With, but I never learned to read
  2. 2. Do you prefer to read books or e-books?

• Books
    • E-Books
    • Why do you continue to make me feel bad about not being able to read?

Thor has definitely gotten better as the series went on. I know they talked about it but it looks like they are going to make Jane Thor going forward. I know it was rumored that they were going to have Ironheart take over for Ironman at some point too. And I think a she-hulk disney plus series? Not going to be any shortage of female heroes now I guess. 

And therein lies another reason I quit collecting comic books: Reboots. They had such problem 'issues' like this before most of cinema did! It boils down to all being very soap-operatic...if you get tired of the current storyline, blow it up and start over! 🙄 

I will just have to take each new MCU installment one at a time and see what's what. 

10 minutes ago, Ftn49 said:

Thor has definitely gotten better as the series went on. I know they talked about it but it looks like they are going to make Jane Thor going forward. I know it was rumored that they were going to have Ironheart take over for Ironman at some point too. And I think a she-hulk disney plus series? Not going to be any shortage of female heroes now I guess. 

The first two Thors were kind of bad. The second was really, really bad. The first one was more of whatever. Taika absolutely saved that character and franchise (the thor franchise specifically...not the marvel franchise lol) 

• Like 2

Thor 2 was pretty much the only one in the universe I haven't seen at 3 or 4 times. At least discounting the new ones. I know I didn't care for Ironman 2 very much when it came out, although I thought it aged quite a bit better though because of the introduction of Black Widow who I didn't know at the time of release. I know feminists don't like how she was portrayed as time has gone on, I still think it was pretty bad a** though.

14 minutes ago, Ftn49 said:

I don't know that it's going to be Lady Thor moving forward. I could see this movie being the end of the Thor franchise tbh, but I can't see Natalie Portman committing to another series of movies as Thor. Just my opinion. 

2 minutes ago, Forge said:

The first two Thors were kind of bad. The second was really, really bad. The first one was more of whatever. Taika absolutely saved that character and franchise (the thor franchise specifically...not the marvel franchise lol) 

Agreed 100%, the first two were just ok, they definitely got better when Taika took over. Thor Ragnarok is one of my favorite Marvel movies for sure. I expect really good things out of Love and Thunder too. Taika is an awesome director/writer. He did What we do in the Shadows (the movie) with Jemaine Clement and it was awesome, Jojo Rabbit, Eagle vs Shark, and he also has that show Our Flag Means Death which for the most part was pretty funny, although it started to take a weird turn towards the end there. 

7 minutes ago, GW21 said:

I don't know that it's going to be Lady Thor moving forward. I could see this movie being the end of the Thor franchise tbh, but I can't see Natalie Portman committing to another series of movies as Thor. Just my opinion. 

Agreed 100%, the first two were just ok, they definitely got better when Taika took over. Thor Ragnarok is one of my favorite Marvel movies for sure. I expect really good things out of Love and Thunder too. Taika is an awesome director/writer. He did What we do in the Shadows (the movie) with Jemaine Clement and it was awesome, Jojo Rabbit, Eagle vs Shark, and he also has that show Our Flag Means Death which for the most part was pretty funny, although it started to take a weird turn towards the end there. 

Did he do Free Guy too? I seem to remember he played the bad guy in it. And the only reason I know that is I seem to remember he did the voiceover for the rock guy in Ragnarok correct? Very identifiable voice. I'll have to check out his other stuff if that was the case as I've liked everything that he's done that I know of.

3 minutes ago, GW21 said:

I love Taika. Amazing sense of humor. I loved What we do in the Shadows as well. I haven't seen Jojo yet sadly, but I did watch the first couple episodes of our Flag means death which I thought was pretty good. I'd also recommend Hunt for the Wilderpeople, which is very entertaining. 

• Like 1

Just now, Ftn49 said:

Did he do Free Guy too? I seem to remember he played the bad guy in it. And the only reason I know that is I seem to remember he did the voiceover for the rock guy in Ragnarok correct? Very identifiable voice. I'll have to check out his other stuff if that was the case as I've liked everything that he's done that I know of.

He acted in it, but he didn't direct it. 

18 minutes ago, Forge said:

I love Taika. Amazing sense of humor. I loved What we do in the Shadows as well. I haven't seen Jojo yet sadly, but I did watch the first couple episodes of our Flag means death which I thought was pretty good. I'd also recommend Hunt for the Wilderpeople, which is very entertaining. 

I have seen that Hunt for the Wilderpeople as well. That was pretty good. 

19 minutes ago, Ftn49 said:

He was also rat catcher in the newer suicide squad; a pretty small part, but he seems to be everywhere right now. 

1 hour ago, Forge said:

I'll agree about the 2nd, but no--the 1st was really quite good for establishing the 1st wave of MCU, imo. But the only 3 I thought were really good from start to finish was Captain America. 

1 hour ago, Ftn49 said:

Thor 2 was pretty much the only one in the universe I haven't seen at 3 or 4 times. At least discounting the new ones. I know I didn't care for Ironman 2 very much when it came out, although I thought it aged quite a bit better though because of the introduction of Black Widow who I didn't know at the time of release. I know feminists don't like how she was portrayed as time has gone on, I still think it was pretty bad a** though.

I wanted the Black Widow movie to illustrate what happened in Budapest--with Hawkeye--so I was quite disappointed with that one. 

30 minutes ago, Chrissooner49er said:

I wanted the Black Widow movie to illustrate what happened in Budapest--with Hawkeye--so I was quite disappointed with that one. 

This movie still irks me. I LOVED the first act of this movie. The Nirvana cover underscoring the horrific acts of child trafficking was powerful and very un-marvel like. The second act was good, we got some good character development, decent action scenes, and all the normal Marvel quippiness that's expected. But then, the third act came along and man was it bad. The final fight was absurd and the ending was the worst ending to a Marvel film I've seen. 

Also, I didn't like that they turned Nat from human spy with high intellect and cunningness to basically a super solider that can jump out of 4-story windows and land without shattering her entire body. 

Overall, it was a fine MCU movie, but it's not one I'm not rushing to see again.