49ers Forum Movie / Music / TV & General entertainment thread

Forge

Subtitles?   

18 members have voted

1. 1. Do you watch movies and tv shows with or without subtitles?

• With
    • Without
    • With, but I never learned to read
  2. 2. Do you prefer to read books or e-books?

• Books
    • E-Books
    • Why do you continue to make me feel bad about not being able to read?

2 hours ago, Forge said:

I love Taika. Amazing sense of humor. I loved What we do in the Shadows as well. I haven't seen Jojo yet sadly, but I did watch the first couple episodes of our Flag means death which I thought was pretty good. I'd also recommend Hunt for the Wilderpeople, which is very entertaining. 

Jojo Rabbit is totally awesome, one of my favorite movies. Taika himself, but also the kids and Sam Rockwell especially are phenomenal. I definitely need to watch Taika's other movies too, although I didn't like the third Thor quite as much as others seem to do.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, GW21 said:

These are still easily the best ones imo. 

I'm always the odd man out on this one.  I thought those were the worst.  Maybe it's because of Nolan.  I just looked up the list of movies he's been a part of and I haven't liked a single one.  Give me the 1989-1997 Batman movies any day of the week.

As for what I've watched recently, I just saw Spiderman: No Way Home.  Absolutely loved it.  I'll probably check out The Batman tonight or sometime this week.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Ataal said:

I'm always the odd man out on this one.  I thought those were the worst.  Maybe it's because of Nolan.  I just looked up the list of movies he's been a part of and I haven't liked a single one.  Give me the 1989-1997 Batman movies any day of the week.

As for what I've watched recently, I just saw Spiderman: No Way Home.  Absolutely loved it.  I'll probably check out The Batman tonight or sometime this week.

I'm not sure if you've rewatched Batman & Robin recently (I did a couple of months ago), and it's frankly one of the worst movies I've ever seen. You make it through just because of Uma Thurman and Alicia Silverstone, but the rest of the movie has absolutely no redeeming quality. The actors are terrible. The script is bad. The special effects are ridiculous (and not in a good batman way... the text bubbles during the fight scenes in the 60s were much higher quality). 

I think the Nolan films are not necessarily an acquired taste. They're just a taste. Either you love it or you don't. But often times, I think Nolan tries too hard. You can't be more clever than you are. He is prone to outsmarting himself. Best example : Tenet. I find that movie unwatchable, despite being a fan of Nolan in general. To him, an idea is an elastic band that he tries to stretch to its limits. Sometimes it snaps.

• Like 1

Just now, rudyZ said:

I'm not sure if you've rewatched Batman & Robin recently (I did a couple of months ago), and it's frankly one of the worst movies I've ever seen. You make it through just because of Uma Thurman and Alicia Silverstone, but the rest of the movie has absolutely no redeeming quality. The actors are terrible. The script is bad. The special effects are ridiculous (and not in a good batman way... the text bubbles during the fight scenes in the 60s were much higher quality). 

I think the Nolan films are not necessarily an acquired taste. They're just a taste. Either you love it or you don't. But often times, I think Nolan tries too hard. You can't be more clever than you are. He is prone to outsmarting himself. Best example : Tenet. I find that movie unwatchable, despite being a fan of Nolan in general. To him, an idea is an elastic band that he tries to stretch to its limits. Sometimes it snaps.

You're probably right about Batman and Robin.  However, Alicia Silverstone was one of my very first crushes(Christie Brinkley was my first).  Perhaps, I gave that particular movie a pass because of her.

Agreed about Tenet.  I don't think I made it a full 10 minutes straight without grabbing my phone to check my Facebook for some quality memes.  I think it's just Nolan's style...or pace...or something.  I can't quite put my finger on it.  We're just not on the same wavelength.

8 minutes ago, rudyZ said:

I'm with you 100% on this one. I thought that movie was awful. 

1 minute ago, Ataal said:

You're probably right about Batman and Robin.  However, Alicia Silverstone was one of my very first crushes(Christie Brinkley was my first).  Perhaps, I gave that particular movie a pass because of her.

Agreed about Tenet.  I don't think I made it a full 10 minutes straight without grabbing my phone to check my Facebook for some quality memes.  I think it's just Nolan's style...or pace...or something.  I can't quite put my finger on it.  We're just not on the same wavelength.

With Tenet, he tried to be clever, but you could tell right away what the twist was going to be. At least, I was. The first action scene, I felt "Oh, these other guys are just them, but later on in the movie, going backward"... both the idea and the execution were decent, but the concept was stretched too thin and too far, and it just didn't inspire awe. I'm a big fan of Inception. I know it has flaws in logic, that they break their own rules at times, or invent rules as they go along. But I like the idea of it, and there's just enough of a logical thread to make it work. It plays with your mind until the end, and leaves room for interpretation. Not perfect, but if you're willing to ignore a few things, thoroughly enjoyable. I think the charisma of the actors helps covering a lot of flaws, though. I don't think the actors in Tenet had enough pull to cover its issues. The same thing with the Batman movies. Bale, Freeman and Neeson do a lot of the heavy lifting in the first one, Heath Ledger is amazing in the second, and I felt the third fell a bit flatter, because Hardy wears a mask all the way through, Cotillard is bland, Michael Caine leaves early on in the movie, and even Bale is a little ***** most of the movie (and on the set as well, apparently). If you don't let your actors shine, your movie gets exposed.

And same on the Alicia Silverstone crush. I was a teenager, I know exactly what you mean.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, rudyZ said:

With Tenet, he tried to be clever, but you could tell right away what the twist was going to be. At least, I was. The first action scene, I felt "Oh, these other guys are just them, but later on in the movie, going backward"... both the idea and the execution were decent, but the concept was stretched too thin and too far, and it just didn't inspire awe. I'm a big fan of Inception. I know it has flaws in logic, that they break their own rules at times, or invent rules as they go along. But I like the idea of it, and there's just enough of a logical thread to make it work. It plays with your mind until the end, and leaves room for interpretation. Not perfect, but if you're willing to ignore a few things, thoroughly enjoyable. I think the charisma of the actors helps covering a lot of flaws, though. I don't think the actors in Tenet had enough pull to cover its issues. The same thing with the Batman movies. Bale, Freeman and Neeson do a lot of the heavy lifting in the first one, Heath Ledger is amazing in the second, and I felt the third fell a bit flatter, because Hardy wears a mask all the way through, Cotillard is bland, Michael Caine leaves early on in the movie, and even Bale is a little ***** most of the movie (and on the set as well, apparently). If you don't let your actors shine, your movie gets exposed.

And same on the Alicia Silverstone crush. I was a teenager, I know exactly what you mean.

I don't think you can blame the actors in Tenet though, Nolan, as much as he likes messing around with time, doesn't really excel in giving his characters some time. Tenet was by far the worst in that regard.

I'm also a huge fan of Inception, exactly the kind of mind expanding thing that you watch movies for imo.

And with Batman, I think the quality of most Batman stories really depends on the antagonist and it's no surprise that the Dark Knight gets its biggest praise for the Joker. Which is also what makes The Batman really good imo, because it doesn't just rely on the villain. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, rudyZ said:

Great movie, but man, when South Park parodied Inception, it was perfect! 

• Like 1

Personally I don't like Bale as Batman at all. He is stiff as hell and the voice is a joke. Out of the 3 movies, the third is by far the best to me..

Edit- age has a ton to do with this.. people always tend to lean towards the Batman of their youth, and for me it's Keaton. Those movies are perfect and I will not hear any slander!

Edited by adamq
  • Like 2

41 minutes ago, adamq said:

Personally I don't like Bale as Batman at all. He is stiff as hell and the voice is a joke. Out of the 3 movies, the third is by far the best to me..

Edit- age has a ton to do with this.. people always tend to lean towards the Batman of their youth, and for me it's Keaton. Those movies are perfect and I will not hear any slander!

• Like 1

On 4/17/2022 at 12:48 AM, NinerNation21 said:

Anyone else counting down the days until Doctor Strange and the Multiverse of Madness? I’ve been looking forward to this since it was announced.

Yes. I was looking forward to this for a long, long time. Even during the Spiderman Far From Home mania, Doctor Strange 2 was in my crosshairs as top billing. He's my favorite MCU character, and it was one of the rare times where the actor they got to play him was the one I wanted even before it was officially revealed. And he hasn't let me down with his portrayal. Going to be there the first day when it comes out here suited and booted in my Doctor Strange shirt. Probably going to see it 2 or 3 times at the cinema. 

Also have this on the way. Gonna be epic to go back and read the entire run. Just need to finish early 90's X-Factor omnibus first. 

91xLxLy-MvL.jpg

Edited by TecmoSuperJoe
  • Like 1

Also have to say Moon Knight on Disney+ has been really good 3 episodes in. I just hope it doesn't fall off the rails like Falcon/Winter Solider did. Oscar Isaac has been dynamite as Marc Spector. 

Praying that they get She-Hulk right when her series debuts. Ms. Marvel I'm lukewarm about after the trailer drop (especially with how they seem to be handling her powers). 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TecmoSuperJoe said:

Also have to say Moon Knight on Disney+ has been really good 3 episodes in. I just hope it doesn't fall off the rails like Falcon/Winter Solider did. Oscar Isaac has been dynamite as Marc Spector. 

Praying that they get She-Hulk right when her series debuts. Ms. Marvel I'm lukewarm about after the trailer drop (especially with how they seem to be handling her powers). 

She-hulk is supposed to be a lawyer, correct? Wonder if they will put Daredevil in her series.