49ers Forum Movie / Music / TV & General entertainment thread

Forge

Subtitles?   

18 members have voted

1. 1. Do you watch movies and tv shows with or without subtitles?

• With
    • Without
    • With, but I never learned to read
  2. 2. Do you prefer to read books or e-books?

• Books
    • E-Books
    • Why do you continue to make me feel bad about not being able to read?

17 hours ago, StevenK said:

I enjoyed Batman! I was shocked that Pattinson did that good of a job. Didn’t care for his Bruce Wayne, but majority of the movie it was Batman. Movie resembled a Zodiac or noir type film. I really like Batman as a comic book character, but I even thought it was a long movie, especially once u get close to that 3 hour marker lol. I know it’s about to hit HBO Max, if it hasn’t already. The car scene alone is breathtaking, especially if u got some nice surround sound! Enjoy! 

Still wish Batfleck got his chance for his stand alone Batman and directing. 

I liked it too, and considering I didn't expect to, it says a lot. You're right about it being more of a noir film (dark and rainy all the way through). It's a crime/detective story that happens to have a grown man dressed as a bat. I think the riddler was solid. And honestly, even though it was a 3 hour film, I was fine with it. I remember looking at my watch around the second hour mark and not even feeling like it was too much. And the soundtrack is gripping. I'm sure streams and downloads for Something in the way have gone through the roof since the movie came out, but I just already loved the song, and loved how it was incorporated in the soundtrack. Sometimes just a little bit of the bass line, just enough to give some texture to the ambience. 

I wouldn't say it's a great movie. But if you can slow down and take the time, and don't need to be constantly distracted by explosions and humor, then The Batman is a very enjoyable experience.

And no to Batfleck, for me. Affleck has next to no charisma in my eyes. He's always better off being carried by some other actor. I'd rather have the George Clooney (with nipple suit) Batman than have to watch Affleck play Batman again. I'll also watch The Batman on a loop for 24 hours straigth before I re-watch the Snyder cut of the Justice League. Ugh...

• Like 1

5 hours ago, rudyZ said:

I liked it too, and considering I didn't expect to, it says a lot. You're right about it being more of a noir film (dark and rainy all the way through). It's a crime/detective story that happens to have a grown man dressed as a bat. I think the riddler was solid. And honestly, even though it was a 3 hour film, I was fine with it. I remember looking at my watch around the second hour mark and not even feeling like it was too much. And the soundtrack is gripping. I'm sure streams and downloads for Something in the way have gone through the roof since the movie came out, but I just already loved the song, and loved how it was incorporated in the soundtrack. Sometimes just a little bit of the bass line, just enough to give some texture to the ambience. 

I wouldn't say it's a great movie. But if you can slow down and take the time, and don't need to be constantly distracted by explosions and humor, then The Batman is a very enjoyable experience.

And no to Batfleck, for me. Affleck has next to no charisma in my eyes. He's always better off being carried by some other actor. I'd rather have the George Clooney (with nipple suit) Batman than have to watch Affleck play Batman again. I'll also watch The Batman on a loop for 24 hours straigth before I re-watch the Snyder cut of the Justice League. Ugh...

When I mentioned Batfleck, I was coming from the stand point that he fits the Frank Miller version for me. I hated his character in Justice League but his action scenes in BVS is what I was hopeful for especially the ending. Besides the stupid, “Martha!” 

5 hours ago, NinerNation21 said:

Anyone else counting down the days until Doctor Strange and the Multiverse of Madness? I’ve been looking forward to this since it was announced.

Definitely! Especially since I think it will introduce the next phase with new characters, that we grew up on. Prof X has already been hinted at, since he narrates in one of the trailers 

6 hours ago, NinerNation21 said:

Anyone else counting down the days until Doctor Strange and the Multiverse of Madness? I’ve been looking forward to this since it was announced.

I’m more excited for Thor Love and Thunder personally, but I’m definitely excited for the Multiverse of madness too. 

22 minutes ago, StevenK said:

When I mentioned Batfleck, I was coming from the stand point that he fits the Frank Miller version for me. I hated his character in Justice League but his action scenes in BVS is what I was hopeful for especially the ending. Besides the stupid, “Martha!” 

lol every time I think of the Ben Affleck Batman I am reminded of this song. 

I’m not generally a Ben Affleck hater either. I liked that movie The Town that he was in. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GW21 said:

I’m not generally a Ben Affleck hater either. I liked that movie The Town that he was in. 

Lol Team America is an awesome movie! 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, GW21 said:

Matt Daaamon.

• Like 1

We just finished watching all the X Files seasons ( for the third time over many years ) last week.

Most of it was excellent, and Gillian Anderson is high on the list of my forever drool lusts. I liked Doggit and Reyes enough, but was overall getting tired of the series as it finished up. Some late episodes were straight bleh. 

We are enjoying Fringe on HBOMax now, and it's our second time watching through the series. Also, Lie To Me on Hulu? i think is a second watch through that we are enjoying again. 

Mostly just watching the world burn... listening to political podcasts.. and shamefully obsessed with playing Path of Exile on XBOX1.. Frightening addictions on all counts.

I don't know a thing about the incoming NFL Draft, and I'm good with that. I keep up on notable 49ers transactions, but I'm to the point of a fan that just wants to watch the games, and become less interested in that fan/imaginary scout-GM-cap guru. Just play ball already. Still will be fun digging into the prospects that SF actually does select. 

giphy.gif?cid=ecf05e47o410vgg6gphptf1lds

Edited by oldman9er
  • Like 1

Bullet point responses to this thread so far:

X Files was an awesome show but I definitely was more into the stand alone episodes than the conspiracy stuff. Show got tired when they didn’t know where else to go with that. 

I don’t know what version of the Batman you all watched, but I thought it absolutely sucked. Pattison was actually good which surprised me, but I was so bored and found myself wishing I was watching a more exciting 4 hour action movie like castaway or dances with wolves. It was so dark, not figuratively, I mean literally, and slow. My kids were so excited to see it and one fell asleep and the other was asking if we could go home. And on the topic of the Point Break remake, it was soooo bad, but I’d rewatch that before Batman because at least it would be over quicker. 

With the Affleck talk, I’d rank the Batman actors, not necessarily the movies they were in:

Bale

Keaton

Pattison

Kilmer

Affleck 

Clooney

Kind of related to the idea of this thread, has there ever been a free for all thread or something where you can talk politics, etc? Maybe safe zone type thing? 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, straighthate said:

Kind of related to the idea of this thread, has there ever been a free for all thread or something where you can talk politics, etc? Maybe safe zone type thing? 

Politics are a no go. 

Anything else we just kind of shoe horned into the random thread

On 4/16/2022 at 11:33 AM, rudyZ said:

I thought the Snyder cut of the Justice league was supposed to be great... That what all the reviews I looked at said. 

Haven't seen the Batman yet but I was planning on it when it got to HBO after I found out they used Kurt Cobain as an inspiration for him this time.

Most of what I've been watching lately has been rewatching old south park seasons while I'm doing other things. Played the south park stick of truth game about a month ago and almost died laughing while playing it there were so many hilarious old jokes and just wanted to go back and relive alot of them because of that. 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Ftn49 said:

I thought the Snyder cut of the Justice league was supposed to be great... That what all the reviews I looked at said. 

Haven't seen the Batman yet but I was planning on it when it got to HBO after I found out they used Kurt Cobain as an inspiration for him this time.

Most of what I've been watching lately has been rewatching old south park seasons while I'm doing other things. Played the south park stick of truth game about a month ago and almost died laughing while playing it there were so many hilarious old jokes and just wanted to go back and relive alot of them because of that. 

You can't go wrong with South Park IMO. 

I just watched the new Batman. I was kind of indifferent on it. I'd probably watch it again, but I wouldn't go out of my way to do so. It was just OK imo. 

I have not watched any Bat-flicks since Christopher Nolan/Christian Bale. I just don't think it will be done any better than they did it. Zach Snyder certainly can't. I felt he slaughtered Superman in Man of Steel. Terrible movie. 

That being said, I still believe the best and most accurate Joker was Jack Nicholson. Tim Burton did a great job the 1st time around...the Penguin was not so good (and vastly inaccurate). Keaton is a good 2nd to Bale as well. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Chrissooner49er said:

I have not watched any Bat-flicks since Christopher Nolan/Christian Bale. I just don't think it will be done any better than they did it. Zach Snyder certainly can't. I felt he slaughtered Superman in Man of Steel. Terrible movie. 

That being said, I still believe the best and most accurate Joker was Jack Nicholson. Tim Burton did a great job the 1st time around...the Penguin was not so good (and vastly inaccurate). Keaton is a good 2nd to Bale as well. 

These are still easily the best ones imo. 

• Like 1