49ers Forum Movie / Music / TV & General entertainment thread

Forge

Subtitles?   

18 members have voted

1. 1. Do you watch movies and tv shows with or without subtitles?

• With
    • Without
    • With, but I never learned to read
  2. 2. Do you prefer to read books or e-books?

• Books
    • E-Books
    • Why do you continue to make me feel bad about not being able to read?

3 minutes ago, adamq said:

BATTLEBOTS!!!!!

Gonna do a pre-draft marathon of some episodes.. the new iteration of the show is on Discovery Plus, 4 seasons I believe 

Another show from that era I wish they'd bring back somewhere is MXC. That show was hysterical 

• Like 1

Just now, TecmoSuperJoe said:

I have my tickets for this Wednesday. Plan to see it twice on the same day, and probably a third time a couple of weeks afterward. I really it hopes it lives up to the hype I've had for it the last couple of years. Been a long time coming. 

Wed?? that's nice! For us, its Thursday for the early release day. Sadly I won't be watching Strange 2 till Sat of that week. I'll have to block out any spoilers starting next week...

13 minutes ago, NcFinest9erFan said:

Wed?? that's nice! For us, its Thursday for the early release day. Sadly I won't be watching Strange 2 till Sat of that week. I'll have to block out any spoilers starting next week...

Sadly, due to the era we live in, folks that have an investment in material like this are almost forced to try and see the movie early. Not like the 90's and before where you could just go two weeks without someone spoiling it for you. With today's culture though, essentially no chance. 

I think the premiere is May 2nd USA time, and even with a few days wait for some I know people are going to go out of their way to just try and spoil everything. 

Edited by TecmoSuperJoe
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, NcFinest9erFan said:

There's a new Doctor Strange TV spot.......

I'm excited but will still wait a couple weeks. I hate being in crowded theaters, so we can show up on a Tuesday afternoon and see it with maybe half the seats are empty. None of my employees care about these movies, and I just tell friends not to spoil it. 🤞

I just realized what has annoyed me the most about the last Spider-man movie. The multiverse was just too convenient for the story telling. Why would the parallel universes throw past time villains (Green Goblin, Doc Oc, Willie Beamon, Enter Sandman, the guy wearing dirty underwear in Notting Hill), but "current" time spider-men. It was just convenient to jump ahead in the time lines for the villains, but they needed to show experienced Spider-men, instead of trying to de-age them. There's no way to know what the rules are for these multiverses, but it's easy to assume the time lines should be concurrent. So Green Goblin didn't just jump from one universe to another, he also travelled through time. GG and Doc Oc are dead in spider-Tobey's universe, no? So the only way to have them both and an older Spider-Tobey, is a time jump. And nowhere in the "rules" is it said that it can happen. So yeah, I don't know if that is THE reason I was annoyed at that movie, but it is one. While lots of people have it as their top MCU movie, I don't think it's even in my top 10. But my opinions are not worth much. I also hate that Scarlet Witch is just too powerful, and that her brother was the lamest Quicksilver in movie ever. Ultron was also one of my biggest disappointment as far as villains go, because I love James Spader, and the movie was just average. 

There, I don't think I have more objectionable MCU takes. Except that Tony creating a new unknown element in his basement is a really stupid plot. An unknown element that only one person managed to imply theoretically, and didn't tell anyone except his son, decades later, in a video collecting dust in a box somewhere. I deplore the state of science in that universe, where the work is rarely done collectively, never ever peer reviewed, and gatekept to death for ego or profit. If we did that in real life, we'd still be in the middle ages.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, rudyZ said:

I just realized what has annoyed me the most about the last Spider-man movie. The multiverse was just too convenient for the story telling. Why would the parallel universes throw past time villains (Green Goblin, Doc Oc, Willie Beamon, Enter Sandman, the guy wearing dirty underwear in Notting Hill), but "current" time spider-men. It was just convenient to jump ahead in the time lines for the villains, but they needed to show experienced Spider-men, instead of trying to de-age them. There's no way to know what the rules are for these multiverses, but it's easy to assume the time lines should be concurrent. So Green Goblin didn't just jump from one universe to another, he also travelled through time. GG and Doc Oc are dead in spider-Tobey's universe, no? So the only way to have them both and an older Spider-Tobey, is a time jump. And nowhere in the "rules" is it said that it can happen. So yeah, I don't know if that is THE reason I was annoyed at that movie, but it is one. While lots of people have it as their top MCU movie, I don't think it's even in my top 10. But my opinions are not worth much. I also hate that Scarlet Witch is just too powerful, and that her brother was the lamest Quicksilver in movie ever. Ultron was also one of my biggest disappointment as far as villains go, because I love James Spader, and the movie was just average. 

There, I don't think I have more objectionable MCU takes. Except that Tony creating a new unknown element in his basement is a really stupid plot. An unknown element that only one person managed to imply theoretically, and didn't tell anyone except his son, decades later, in a video collecting dust in a box somewhere. I deplore the state of science in that universe, where the work is rarely done collectively, never ever peer reviewed, and gatekept to death for ego or profit. If we did that in real life, we'd still be in the middle ages.

I think they did the best they could to tie everything together. There are some other plot holes that I've noticed in the MCU as well: 

Spoiler

I think they did the best they could to tie everything together. I really enjoyed it. There are some other holes, like at the end of Ragnarok all the Asgaurdians are on the ship that is then attacked by Thanos in Infinity War, yet there is New Asgaurd in End Game with Asgaurdians. Also, I don't get how Captain America just decides to go live in the past in the end of End Game; wouldn't there be a version of him frozen in the ice still waiting to be un-thawed and mean that there is a normal aged version of him in the future as well? 

On 4/30/2022 at 6:53 AM, rudyZ said:

Welcome to comic books man. Tony inventing a new element is on par with Reed Richards turning a toaster into a time machine. :)

On 4/29/2022 at 6:53 PM, rudyZ said:

The first Guardians of the Galaxy is by far my favourite Marvel movie.

Edited by 9erFreak77

Hmm, top 5 MCU movies?

Mine would be 

1. Winter soldier

2. Ironman

3. Guardians of the Galaxy 

4. End Game

5. Civil War

If you can't tell I loved me some Cap and while it isn't all him that might be the best trilogy ever put to film in my opinion.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, TecmoSuperJoe said:

Welcome to comic books man. Tony inventing a new element is on par with Reed Richards turning a toaster into a time machine. :)

I give more leeway to actual new technologies in a movie being invented to do something that shouldn't be done. But inventing a new element just doesn't work. It doesn't make sense in any intellectual way. You can't really have an element that hasn't been theorised before, that's not how chemistry work. You can imagine one at the end of the table of elements, but they can't reasonably be stable enough to be used in any meaningful way. I know they ask for a suspension of disbelief, but they could literally have gone with a complex molecule, even keeping it very vague, or an alloy, but creating an element with practically magical properties is the epitome of lazy writing. Just look at the heavy lifting nano-tech has done in recent ironman showings. That, I can suspend my disbelief for. It's mechanical. It doesn't work like that in real life, but I'm willing to accept a reality where that could exist. But there's no reality where a single element can do the heavy lifting that it does for Tony's arc reactor. An already existing has a better chance of doing something extraordinary for the reactor than a non-existent one. It would have been better if it turned out Howard Stark's research on arc reactors just revealed the technology to optimize it would only be within Tony's reach later on, without resorting to a new element. Plenty of things could have. Just waiting for mass production of graphene or something like that. But a new element is the stupidest thing for that application, in my opinion. Bad writing, that's all.

• Like 2

General thoughts after watching: 

Spoiler

Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness pretty much lived up to my expectations. Was entertained, and going to see it again tonight here with some others. Sam Raimi just completely dominated, and his fingerprints are clearly on everything throughout. 

Edited by TecmoSuperJoe
  • Like 1

So.....................saw rented "Spider-Man: No Way Home" and I want my evening back. What a waste of time. No, I am not kidding. So inconsistent in the writing of the story. First of all: #NotMyMJ, #NotMyFlashThompson, #NotMyAuntMay & Tom Holland is #NotMySpiderMan  These characters are so far from the comic book it is pathetic. 

I do not think I have ever seen a movie where peripheral characters were such a plot convenience...suddenly Ned can do things it takes others who knows how long to learn? VERY convenient. Yes, trying not to spoil. And was this supposed to be "Spider-Man & his Amazing friends"? If so, Iceman and Firestar were missing. 

Nor have I ever seen a super hero storyline where the hero is entirely responsible for the problem in the first place! To avoid spoilers, all I will say is: Doctor Strange was entirely correct even though Spider-Tom meant well. He was warned of the ramifications of actions and ignored them--with great power comes great responsibility and he basically shrugged and did what he wanted anyway. #NotMySpiderMan

No Spider-Man 1 (Toby) or 2(Andrew) until we're nearly an hour and 40 minutes in?! And were we trying to replicate the Sinister Six? Oh, and how about the inconsistent "Spidey-sense"? It was not there for Spider-Man 1 when he needed it...

The main thing I enjoyed about it was the Doctor Strange teaser at the end. This movie might be even worse than Spider-Man 3 due to the crap and inconsistent storyline. 

I want my evening back. Can I borrow the Time Stone, Doctor Strange? Oh, right, you don't have it anymore. 😢

Sigh