49ers Forum Movie / Music / TV & General entertainment thread

Forge

Subtitles?   

18 members have voted

1. 1. Do you watch movies and tv shows with or without subtitles?

• With
    • Without
    • With, but I never learned to read
  2. 2. Do you prefer to read books or e-books?

• Books
    • E-Books
    • Why do you continue to make me feel bad about not being able to read?

• 3 weeks later...
53 minutes ago, Ataal said:

Y'all watching these newfangled TV shows and I'm just finishing up the Stargate franchise(SG1, Atlantis, Universe, etc..) for the 3rd time in two years.  

I liked Universe. The only one that I really got into. Sucks that it didn't really take off. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Forge said:

I liked Universe. The only one that I really got into. Sucks that it didn't really take off. 

I'm still so bummed that we never got any closure to that massive series finale cliffhanger.  Firefly got a movie.  Farscape got a movie.  Heck, Stargate SG1 got TWO movies!  

7 hours ago, Ataal said:

I'm still so bummed that we never got any closure to that massive series finale cliffhanger.  Firefly got a movie.  Farscape got a movie.  Heck, Stargate SG1 got TWO movies!  

I'm still bummed the original movie never got its sequels. SG1 was just too goofy... Universe was much more sci-fi, and much more interesting. I feel like Universe could have belonged in a universe with the original movie, rather than the TV shows. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, rudyZ said:

I'm still bummed the original movie never got its sequels. SG1 was just too goofy... Universe was much more sci-fi, and much more interesting. I feel like Universe could have belonged in a universe with the original movie, rather than the TV shows. 

I really liked SG1 and Atlantis, too, but for different reasons.  I really like Richard Dean Anderson(grew up watching MacGyver) and his humor on the show was great.  But, I agree that Universe was more Sci-Fi than the others.  Not to mention a great cast(at least in the Sci-Fi world, anyway).  The show got progressively better and more interesting. It's an absolute shame they couldn't at least wrap up the cliffhanger.  

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Ataal said:

I really liked SG1 and Atlantis, too, but for different reasons.  I really like Richard Dean Anderson(grew up watching MacGyver) and his humor on the show was great.  But, I agree that Universe was more Sci-Fi than the others.  Not to mention a great cast(at least in the Sci-Fi world, anyway).  The show got progressively better and more interesting. It's an absolute shame they couldn't at least wrap up the cliffhanger.  

I had no problem with Richard Dean Anderson, or having a humourous side tone. I just didn't like the episodic nature of the tv show. I can understand a legal or medical show having its case of the week. But I feel like SG1 would have been a thousand times better if they hadn't gone the "planet of the week, where everyone is human in the exact same ways we are, and everyone conveniently speaks english, even though the gate on earth was buried in egypt before english even existed" route. I mean, I'm fairly lenient with my suspension of disbelief, but I don't like when a show breaks its own rules, which SG1 did pretty much all the time. The best part of the show was the characters' personalities. The worst was the storylines. The show did explore some of the ideas the sequels of the movie were supposed to tackle, like having a civilization that would turn out the basis for norse mythology, but I think that's the part that was mostly underutilized. In my opinion, instead of a planet of the week, they should have had a planet for each season. Or a civilization for each season. We could have had space Mayans in a war with space Olmecs, while space Incans just looked from afar. The aasgardians should have been more belligerent than portrayed. And Atlantis could have been a part of that universe, not its separate series. I think SG1 truly jumped the shark with the whole Ori storyline. Still, I probably watched it all, because its light-hearted entertainment, and very loosely mythological, and I didn't totally hate the concept. But I feel like its potential was far greater than what its execution gave us.

• Like 1

+1 on Richard Dean Anderson and McG back in the day. 

+1 on the full SG1, also liked. Never took the journey into Atlantis and further ones; not sure why. 

We enjoyed The Expanse for a while, though didn't really follow through on the last season of it; also not sure why. 

Into season 2 of Person Of Interest, and still loving it. ( our 2nd full watch-thru of it, over the years )

Finished Fringe again, though the last season was getting stale. 

Not thrilled with too much tv lately. Ready for football again, I guess.

• Like 3

On 7/2/2022 at 10:33 AM, rudyZ said:

I had no problem with Richard Dean Anderson, or having a humourous side tone. I just didn't like the episodic nature of the tv show. I can understand a legal or medical show having its case of the week. But I feel like SG1 would have been a thousand times better if they hadn't gone the "planet of the week, where everyone is human in the exact same ways we are, and everyone conveniently speaks english, even though the gate on earth was buried in egypt before english even existed" route. I mean, I'm fairly lenient with my suspension of disbelief, but I don't like when a show breaks its own rules, which SG1 did pretty much all the time. The best part of the show was the characters' personalities. The worst was the storylines. The show did explore some of the ideas the sequels of the movie were supposed to tackle, like having a civilization that would turn out the basis for norse mythology, but I think that's the part that was mostly underutilized. In my opinion, instead of a planet of the week, they should have had a planet for each season. Or a civilization for each season. We could have had space Mayans in a war with space Olmecs, while space Incans just looked from afar. The aasgardians should have been more belligerent than portrayed. And Atlantis could have been a part of that universe, not its separate series. I think SG1 truly jumped the shark with the whole Ori storyline. Still, I probably watched it all, because its light-hearted entertainment, and very loosely mythological, and I didn't totally hate the concept. But I feel like its potential was far greater than what its execution gave us.

The inconsistencies bug me, but for things like "everyone speaks English," I give a pass. Nothing would bug me more than having to read subtitles all the time.  I literally would just stop watching the show.

I wasn't a fan of the Ori storyline.  However, when they brought on some of the Farscape crew(Ben Browder and Claudia Black), it made it worth the watch for me.

---------------------

I see mention of The Expanse on here as well.  I'm not as high on it as some.  I don't hate it, but when I first heard about it, it sounded exactly like something I would enjoy.  And, I did, for the most part.  I'm not sure if it was a casting, directing, or a writing issue....but, I had a hard time following it sometimes.  I can't tell you how many times I squinted and was like, "Wait, who is this?  Was he the guy from that one scene?  Can't be....or did I miss something?"  I binged the show, so it wasn't like I watched a few episodes and took a 3 month break.  I swear some of the actors were made to look nearly identical to others.  

5 hours ago, Ataal said:

The inconsistencies bug me, but for things like "everyone speaks English," I give a pass. Nothing would bug me more than having to read subtitles all the time.  I literally would just stop watching the show.

But the focus of the show is always on the interactions of the team, not on the conversations with the locals. I think the need for subtitles could have been minimized. And the role of Daniel Jackson was always to translate. You have him in the background, breaking things down with the locals, while Richard Dean Anderson is having a quip about what's going on, then he returns with a nice summary that advances the plot easily. I think that would have been so easy to write. Back to the original movie, the time spent trying to translate was either short, or wildly entertaining, to me. It wasn't so much about subtitles as it was about body language. And in any case, in a tv show, the action would follow the heroes, the team, everything else is just background. The TV show basically made Daniel Jackson pointless.

Well... it's too late, what's done is done, and I'm tired of reboots. That's why I'd rather see a new canon made around the movie's proposed sequels, than another SG1/Atlantis. You just leave Daniel Jackson on Abidos, with his wife. Maybe have an older James Spader have an appearance as an elder and leader of a slowly modernising ancient egypt-like civilization. Maybe he calls out for help from earth, as a rival warlord is coming to fill the power void left when the previous leader was blow to pieces, back in 1994. Make it a movie, followed by a streaming series, capped by another movie, and the whole would be legendary. At least to me. I still rewatch that movie, and it's better than the whole tv show and its spinoffs. 

Anyway, best moment in SG1 history : 

• Like 1

On 7/5/2022 at 7:13 PM, Ataal said:

I wasn't a fan of the Ori storyline.  However, when they brought on some of the Farscape crew(Ben Browder and Claudia Black), it made it worth the watch for me.

---------------------

I see mention of The Expanse on here as well.  I'm not as high on it as some.  I don't hate it, but when I first heard about it, it sounded exactly like something I would enjoy.  And, I did, for the most part.  I'm not sure if it was a casting, directing, or a writing issue....but, I had a hard time following it sometimes.  I can't tell you how many times I squinted and was like, "Wait, who is this?  Was he the guy from that one scene?  Can't be....or did I miss something?"  I binged the show, so it wasn't like I watched a few episodes and took a 3 month break.  I swear some of the actors were made to look nearly identical to others.  

I love The Expanse, but Characters are probably not its greatest strengths, even though they have some fantastic ones. One of the writers and the actor of Amos have a podcast together where they talk about every episode and some BTS, which is really cool (called Ty & that Guy).

Really looking forward to For All Mankind which is amazing, apparently.

• Like 1