49ers Forum Movie / Music / TV & General entertainment thread

Forge

Subtitles?   

18 members have voted

1. 1. Do you watch movies and tv shows with or without subtitles?

• With
    • Without
    • With, but I never learned to read
  2. 2. Do you prefer to read books or e-books?

• Books
    • E-Books
    • Why do you continue to make me feel bad about not being able to read?

6 hours ago, Chrissooner49er said:

Saw another memorable episode of "X-Files" I had forgotten about: "The Unnatural" in Season 6 which was written & directed by Duchovny! Little gray men and baseball! What an episode! 

Last night, we watched "Ghostbusters: Afterlife" and were very entertained. Sequels can be good (except for Ghostbusters 2--that should never have been made and Murray concurs!), reboots...not. In my opinion, Egon's granddaughter steals the show. So much fun. 

I quite enjoyed Afterlife as well. THe girl was very good, but admittedly, I always enjoy terrible jokes, so she won me over easily. Paul Rudd is always a win.

5 hours ago, Forge said:

You either go the full Raimi or don't have Raimi direct. 

AYbSqJ2.jpeg

I don't really feel heavily invested in the Marvel movies. It's just going with the motions at this point. It's still entertaining, but there's nothing mind blowing there. I think the tv series is where the creativity is going. A six episode series can go more in depth and perhaps cost less than a 3 movie story arc for a character. And they know their big budget movies don't even have to be great to make a ton of money in theatre...

• Like 2

Just left dr strange, hated it. It's really too bad because up until a certain point I was along for the ride and really enjoying it.. but it really fell apart for me very quickly. Spoilers, don't read if you're like me and are going in 100% cold 

Spoiler

I dont like that the MCU has turned into Rick and Morty where every universe and person from it besides "our own" is meaningless. 

Revealing a bad$%# Blackbolt, then the F4, THEN the XMen all in one go was a GREAT moment... only to be ruined by brutality murdering everyone immediately. Then we are led to believe that our Dr strange is different, he wouldn't use the evil mcguffin like every other dr strange! But nope, f it, I'm gonna possess some dead bodies!

Edit- I read up on how it ends, of course he was talking about that dead body. Still fine with missing the ending, I got w jump start on my drive home.

I walked out, first time I've done it since that neighborhood watch movie with Ben Stiller and Jonah Hill

Still holding out hope they do Secret Wars the right way

Edited by adamq
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, rudyZ said:

I don't really feel heavily invested in the Marvel movies. It's just going with the motions at this point. It's still entertaining, but there's nothing mind blowing there. I think the tv series is where the creativity is going. A six episode series can go more in depth and perhaps cost less than a 3 movie story arc for a character. And they know their big budget movies don't even have to be great to make a ton of money in theatre...

I enjoyed all the Marvel shows I've watched so far.. only got 2 episodes in to Moon Knight though, it just didn't grab me like the others.. even Falcon/WS was a treat for me

17 hours ago, adamq said:

Just left dr strange, hated it. It's really too bad because up until a certain point I was along for the ride and really enjoying it.. but it really fell apart for me very quickly. Spoilers, don't read if you're like me and are going in 100% cold 

Reveal hidden contents

I dont like that the MCU has turned into Rick and Morty where every universe and person from it besides "our own" is meaningless. 

Revealing a bad$%# Blackbolt, then the F4, THEN the XMen all in one go was a GREAT moment... only to be ruined by brutality murdering everyone immediately. Then we are led to believe that our Dr strange is different, he wouldn't use the evil mcguffin like every other dr strange! But nope, f it, I'm gonna possess some dead bodies!

Edit- I read up on how it ends, of course he was talking about that dead body. Still fine with missing the ending, I got w jump start on my drive home.

I walked out, first time I've done it since that neighborhood watch movie with Ben Stiller and Jonah Hill

Still holding out hope they do Secret Wars the right way

From what I gather, it maybe something like the 2015 secret wars comic/storyline?

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I'm still flying high with Marvel. It's remarkable that it's gotten to this point after 10 years that people have the expectations they have compared to where the superhero scene was before the first Iron Man film. Don't get me wrong, there are still some lackluster outings (some of the Disney+ shows), but overall I haven't seen anything this entire time that has been borderline unwatchable, or I couldn't finish. Granted, I'm a fan from the comics to the cinema, so I've given the branding a bit of leeway. Ms. Marvel series starts in a few days, and I'm lukewarm on that. There hasn't been a huge tentpole movie since Endgame to get people really excited about, and I think that is starting to disappoint some folks. For a few years the idea of Thanos was heavily hinted as an ultimate finish line of sorts that was always in the background, and we got a few huge landmark movies along the way. Now, it's "maybe" Kang and something having to do with the multiverse? Still a lot of uncertainly. But I do think the next phase is going to be a huge wave of "event" type projects. Secret Wars, perhaps Midnight Sons, Fantastic Four, X-Men...the more familiar big names are coming back around the corner. And the Daredevil is back. Hopefully Punisher, Luke Cage, Jessica Jones, and even Iron Fist aren't completely discarded. 

Edited by TecmoSuperJoe
  • Like 1

Hated the new Dr Strange movie, but I went in completely cold (no trailers, press, etc) and even afterwards didn't know who Sam Raimi was.. ill give it another chance when it comes to steaming now that I understand what they were going for. 

Spoiler

Still, when my kid gets in to these films we will be skipping this for sure. Bringing FF and XMen into the MCU only to slaughter them right away sucked.. also I don't enjoy watching brutal death scenes and don't want him seeing it either. 

4 hours ago, GW21 said:

I think they dropped the ball with the third Fantastic Beasts movie. I was really looking forward to it and thought it was easily the worst of the three they made. 

That's too bad, I enjoyed the first 2

Edited by adamq