Google(Youtube TV) lands Sunday Ticket.

August4th

As a YouTube.tv subscriber already, I'm pretty excited about getting Sunday ticket on YouTube tv.

As a college student that gets access to Sunday ticket streaming for 99 bucks a year, I'm concerned that it's going to cost me way more money moving forward.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, big_palooka said:

I prefer Apple's closed ecosystem and integration of hardware to software vs. a generic OS for all brands and devices.

The ecosystem allows for devices to seamlessly integrate. No other ecosystem comes close. Paired with things like Apple Car play, family sharing, apple pay, etc. make for a better user experience. 

I prefer the simplicity of the UI vs. the "myspaceification" of an Android phone, but that is preference. 

Despite that 83% domination of the the global market, creators make apps for Apple first, so that is a plus. And they get the best apps. iOS is better for updating software. Vs. Android which is open sourced and most their OEMs don't have the teams to carry out updates efficiently. 

Apple has strict privacy and security. Less bloatware... Androids are littered with garbage out of the box apps that take up a lot of space.

What else....iphones are faster.  Android apps run on java runtime, which require more battery and memory. The have to go through a process of "garbage collection" iOS avoids this and has longer battery lives while using less memory in the process. And the batteries generate less heat on prolonged use of the phone. 

Lastly, customer service and support. Stores you can walk into across the US to get your problems solved.

Back on topic:

You can watch AppleTV+ on any device. I would expect Apple uses this platform for their NFL streaming. So the "have to have a specific device" argument is misguided. What you're going to get is reliable streaming and top tier customer service which is something you didn't get with DirectTV. 

Well at least we have one thing in common, we both love the Apple ecosystem. I’m also an iOS engineer. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, agarcia34 said:

It’s a done deal. 

I dont expect the price to go down for the ticket and I also don’t get the it will be more accessible take either. You could get Streaming Sunday ticket for the past 5 years already without having Directv Maybe it’s more accessible cause it’s YouTube but the price has always been a huge draw back for customers. 

You could only get the streaming version if you were a student or lived in a area that didn’t offer satellite to my knowledge. Plus DirecTV’s interface was so bad it was practically unusable. It looked like Windows 98 and functioned like Windows 95. Even though I paid for it, I didn’t want to even turn it on some weeks. 

22 hours ago, big_palooka said:

I prefer Apple's closed ecosystem and integration of hardware to software vs. a generic OS for all brands and devices.

The ecosystem allows for devices to seamlessly integrate. No other ecosystem comes close. Paired with things like Apple Car play, family sharing, apple pay, etc. make for a better user experience. 

I prefer the simplicity of the UI vs. the "myspaceification" of an Android phone, but that is preference. 

Despite that 83% domination of the the global market, creators make apps for Apple first, so that is a plus. And they get the best apps. iOS is better for updating software. Vs. Android which is open sourced and most their OEMs don't have the teams to carry out updates efficiently. 

Apple has strict privacy and security. Less bloatware... Androids are littered with garbage out of the box apps that take up a lot of space.

What else....iphones are faster.  Android apps run on java runtime, which require more battery and memory. The have to go through a process of "garbage collection" iOS avoids this and has longer battery lives while using less memory in the process. And the batteries generate less heat on prolonged use of the phone. 

Lastly, customer service and support. Stores you can walk into across the US to get your problems solved.

Back on topic:

You can watch AppleTV+ on any device. I would expect Apple uses this platform for their NFL streaming. So the "have to have a specific device" argument is misguided. What you're going to get is reliable streaming and top tier customer service which is something you didn't get with DirectTV. 

Really? Because I think users are pigeonholing themselves pretty hard with Apples eco system. Why not have more options, more manufacturers for your peripherals than just 1 size fits all. When is 'everything I do is controlled by 1 company' a good thing. Its reeeaaally nice to need a pair of new headphones and have dozens of options to choose from with different features.

Plus, if people are worried about ecosystem, I would argue that Googles eco system is just as good/stable as Apples but with 10x more the flexibility because they support more types of manufacturers so you have options when connecting your products.

As far as privacy, its a double edge sword. Apple is so secure that their AI literally opens and reads every single email you receive to check it for spam before delivering it to you. Might be something, might be nothing--but would you be comfortable if your mailman opened all of your mail before putting it in your box? They are the champion at promoting their privacy/security yes, because they work on their own closed system and dont play nice with others. There is a tradeoff there with security and flexibility. You can be more secure, but at the sacrifice of having a smaller app store and being incredibly limited in what you can/cant do. Its like 'nothing bad can ever happen to me if I never leave the house' sort of method.

Bloatware--somewhat not true, depends on what device you get. Google owns Android, Google created Android. Google is Android. If you get a Google Pixel it is a bare bones stock, lightning fast, how it was meant to be, version of Android because they own it. There is 0 bloatware on the Pixel. In addition to that, companies (especially Google/Pixel) have their own chips/processors as of 2021 that control the devices (Google Tensor) so its not relying on a Snapdragon. Companies like Samsung still have a lot of bloatware because they have financial agreements with a lot of 3rd party companies on their OS. Google doesn't. Its not a Android thing, its a manufacturer thing. But again with Android you have options, so if bloatware is a major concern of yours you can get the correct device that has 0 bloatware.

Ill also push back on the battery life thing. Not true. Apple is incredibly well known for self-sabotaging their own devices when they dont want to support them anymore and drive sales for their newer products. They are the kings at throttling their own performance whenever that 2 year benchmark hits. My wife has a 3 year old iPhone and cant get more than 1/2 day out of a charge anymore. Apple also doesnt clear cache files. Meaning you will lose storage space 10x faster on a iPhone compared to Android meaning you will have to upgrade your phone quicker or buy more storage.

Lastly back to the topic Chromecast>>>>Apple TV and it aint even close. 😁

Edited by AkronsWitness

On 12/22/2022 at 11:27 AM, drew39k said:

As a YouTube.tv subscriber already, I'm pretty excited about getting Sunday ticket on YouTube tv.

As a college student that gets access to Sunday ticket streaming for 99 bucks a year, I'm concerned that it's going to cost me way more money moving forward.

This is what I am wondering, I have been using the Sunday Ticket Student streaming for years since it is pretty cheap. If I am going to have to pay much more than that I will be going else where to watch the games.