2022 NFL Draft Discussion Thread (NO SPOILERS!!!)

CWood21

1 hour ago, VicPez said:

I'm inclined to agree with you -- but I think it's fair to say that a lot of the trading and movement we've seen in this draft has been the result of NFL teams wrestling with the new wide receiver market.  Teams like the Titans, Packers, and Chiefs have been sticking with the valuation they've put on the position for years.  And these are successful teams!  They're coming from a place of sticking with what works.

My one worry is that, if the wide receiver market in the NFL has permanently changed, it may also be appropriate for teams to change their approach to the position.  I'm not saying that's definitively the case -- only time will tell which teams responded correctly to this new WR market.  What Rodgers was saying last night about the bust rate for WRs in Round One also looms large in my mind -- it may make more sense to take multiple shots at pass catchers later on, and Green Bay certainly has the ammunition to do so.

Here's hoping for Trey McBride and a WR in Round 2!

That's just it really, its all very well saying other teams are over-drafting and over-paying receivers but if you don't play along where does that leave you ?   I don't care about us not getting a WR in round one but the concern is if we are under-valuing the position, the guys going in round 2, we might have a draft grade of round 3 and so on.

The net result of us not putting any resource into the position draft wise, is the overall strength of the WR has got weaker every year. We've got away with it fine prioritising other positions but Adams leaving might be the tipping point. Even if we draft in round 2 then its probably not enough as we should have been doing it in previous years to have a succession plan. Its a passing league and our pass catchers are very weak as things stand.

Maybe the answer is we move away from the norm and start looking at different formations with more 2TE, 2 RB sets and stuff like that  to try and work away from the likelihood that opposition CBs will be much better players than our WRs.  Can we use a crazy 5RB formation ? Is that legal - opposing defence wouldn't have any idea who to cover.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, packfanfb said:

Day 2. Give me one of Pickens, Pierce or Tolbert and an EDGE and we're killing this draft. 

The concern is we are very vulnerable to teams jumping us.  Anyone who wants a receiver will assume we are taking them in the second so if the likes of Pickens and Pierce are available (and we want them) we probably have no choice but to move up to stop other teams moving up.

Its a big risk going into a draft with a huge hole that everyone knows about. If there are say three guys iin round 2 that Gutey wants then its going to create some real problems if a couple of them go early in the round. 

17 minutes ago, Arthur Penske said:

I said older players were going to be a thing  this year about a week or so ago and was rebuffed

DL guys play well into their mid 30's. Calais campbell is darn near 40 and still playing well.

1 minute ago, mikemike778 said:

The concern is we are very vulnerable to teams jumping us.  Anyone who wants a receiver will assume we are taking them in the second so if the likes of Pickens and Pierce are available (and we want them) we probably have no choice but to move up to stop other teams moving up.

Its a big risk going into a draft with a huge hole that everyone knows about. If there are say three guys iin round 2 that Gutey wants then its going to create some real problems if a couple of them go early in the round. 

We can counter this with a move ourselves. Jump up in the 2nd round and get your guy if he's there. We didn't do in the 1st, but I could see us do it in the 2nd. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, packfanfb said:

We can counter this with a move ourselves. Jump up in the 2nd round and get your guy if he's there. We didn't do in the 1st, but I could see us do it in the 2nd. 

And it's not like the Packers don't have the ammunition to move around.

5 minutes ago, St Vince said:

DL guys play well into their mid 30's. Calais campbell is darn near 40 and still playing well.

He's an exception. Like OL some will play longer it all depends on their genetics, injuries and play of course. 

Lets hope that this kid is worth a second contract.  

1 minute ago, R T said:

We are going to be a WR obsessed forum all day today I see.  

I mean we do need a guy lol. Not picking one on day 1 is fine, even maybe expected. If we don't grab a WR on day 2, something's up. 

4 minutes ago, PACKRULE said:

He's an exception. Like OL some will play longer it all depends on their genetics, injuries and play of course. 

Lets hope that this kid is worth a second contract.  

Exactly, let's hope he makes it even worth thinking about giving him a second contract right now. 

4 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

I mean we do need a guy lol. Not picking one on day 1 is fine, even maybe expected. If we don't grab a WR on day 2, something's up. 

I'm pretty sure one of those picks will be WR and also suspect a TE/Hback picked 3-4 round range.

I rate Pickens as an early 1st round talent as do many others but he must have interviewed badly to fall out of the 1st round, perhaps he has some medical red flags. There is no doubt in my mind he is going to go early in day two. I think he will be out of reach for us.

Watson, Pierce, Shakir, Tolbert, Thornton are probably the ones we're targeting in round 2. I can totally see us double dipping if we get the chance. Thornton is the biggest dark horse for me here, he can separate, he can move well, he can catch away from his body, his hands are solid but most of all because of his unusual body type he has a knack of catching the ball in places where the DB cannot reach, this is exactly what Rodgers likes.

Round 3 is probably Skyy Moore, Ezukanma, Metchie, Velus Jones but I really hope we don't wait to draft a WR until this point. Sky Moore and Ezukanma have excellent hands but they don't run all that well. I don't like Metchie at all. Just average athletically and no outstanding traits jump out on tape. I like Velus Jones but his route tree is probably very limited right now. Does alot of screen pass types catches but uses his speed to great effect. This is something the Packers does alot so in terms of fit he's probably best out of all four. The fact he returns punts/kicks doesn't hurt either. Honestly...he's the closest to a Deebo type i've seen.

I think Doubs, Austin Jr, Gray, Weston are day 3 candidates. Doubs looks the part, does some good things but he doesn't look natural doing it.  His technique, timing & decision making is a bit off. Gray is fast but a very straight line runner. He doesn't weave around anybody. Give him space he will burn you but keep it tight I don't think he will do much of anything. I don't think he catches all that well tbh. Austin Jr looks the part but there are times where he looks fast and powerful then looks slow, or when he looks agile and then looks cumbersome. He makes nice catches and then make other catches look difficult. He's a very hot and cold player. Weston is probably the best of the group. He has good size and speed, looks physically solid to handle the physical aspect of the game and looks comfortable making catches. He would be a good developmental prospect for the Packers.

Edited by Chili

9 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

If we dont draft a WR in either the 2nd or 3rd round...and I dont mean simply a body...Gute should be fired.

3 minutes ago, Hands said:

I'm pretty sure one of those picks will be WR and also suspect a TE/Hback picked 3-4 round range.

Hoping the board allows us to go WR/EDGE in the 2nd. 3rd is a wildcard (TE/OL/S/WR2/CB)

3 minutes ago, Chili said:

I rate Pickens is an early 1st round talent as do many others but he must have interviewed badly to fall out of the 1st round, perhaps he has some medical red flags. There is no doubt in my mind he is going to go early in day two. I think he will be out of reach for us.

There's just a LOT of concerns with him for him to have gone Day 1.  The talent is obvious.

Wondering where the folks are that just a couple of days ago insisted that the Packers don't draft the BPA on their board, but really just draft for need. Little did any of us know that ILB was the Packers greatest need. Lol   

• Like 1