2022 NFL Draft Discussion Thread (NO SPOILERS!!!)

CWood21

1 hour ago, MaximusGluteus said:

I still won't shocked if Gute grabs a RB on day 2.  Not saying he should or shouldn't, I just wouldn't be surprised.

I think this will be Jones' last season with us so it makes sense.

3 minutes ago, Chili said:

R2: Pickens*, Watson*, Pierce*, Shakir, Tolbert, Thornton*

R3: Velus Jones*, Skyy Moore, Ezukanma, Bell

R4-5: Metchie, Doubs, Austin Jr, Gray, Weston*........

As always, we have zero idea how Gute scouts and values the players.  Before last night, I doubted that even 5 WR would come off before #22, much less 6.  I assumed one or two of those six would have still been on the board. 

I feel the same tonight.  You list six R2 guys; I doubt all six will come off before our pick.  But, I also have no idea how Gute stacks them.  Maybe he likes all six, and would be fine with any of them *if* he does take a WR, so he's pretty safe to stick-and-pick?  Maybe he likes only two of them, and would need to trade up to get them?  Maybe he likes only two of them, but figures they're not necessarily the ones that require trade-up?  Maybe he ranks some of your R3/R4 guys higher? Maybe he likes only two guys, but thinks they will be 3rd-round available? 

Without knowing his scouting, it's totally impossible to anticipate what his logic will be, and whether he'll stick-and-pick, again, or will trade up.  

RT was pretty strong on the trade-up prediction last night, and I wasn't really.  I do think trade-up is MUCH more plausible tonight, since the price isn't so costly.  

Don't you think Hendrickson may have a lot to do with this year's draft? Strengthen the defense, esp. the middle. This may be the first draft where he has some input on. Just guessing but using a number 1 for a ILB is definitely not a TT and Gutsey move, 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Hands said:

Don't you think Hendrickson may have a lot to do with this year's draft? Strengthen the defense, esp. the middle. This may be the first draft where he has some input on. Just guessing but using a number 1 for a ILB is definitely not a TT and Gutsey move, 

I suspect it's a combination. Hiring Barry provided a different viewpoint into the value of linebackers, watching Campbell play must've also opened their eyes.

What we saw yesterday was the Packers simply adjusting their viewpoint on linebackers.

It's been noted that neither pick was a "need" pick, and were BPA.  Both, though, were strong opportunity picks.  If those were smart picks and the players are good, both will have opportunity to play a lot, right away.  Not developmental players with limited rookie-year opportunity in absence of injury.  

Some other big-opportunity positions are obviously edge; safety; WR; TE; and OL.  Any player at those positions who gets drafted and who's actually NFL ready, there will be rotation snaps available.  

Of those, maybe OL the least so?  Other positions rotate, but OL starters play every snap, barring injury.  Not tons of 2nd-day OL who are intended starters from the day drafted.  Bulaga and Sherrod didn't start at first, Jenkins wasn't intended to start at first, and Bakhti and Newman started early both because they both out-performed their draft expectations and they were enabled by injuries.  It's surely possible, but wouldn't really expect a 2nd-round OL selection to beat out either Nijman or Newman for an opening-day starting position.   

Edited by craig

13 minutes ago, craig said:

RT was pretty strong on the trade-up prediction last night, and I wasn't really.  I do think trade-up is MUCH more plausible tonight, since the price isn't so costly.  

It will be interesting to see who they target if they do move up.

30 minutes ago, hitnhope said:

If this is the best roster, where are the Lombardi's?   We have too many people both inside and outside the organization happy to be good and accepting the product even though it hasn't been good enough to win.

The organizations strategies have been to remain good rather then to do what it takes to win a Super Bowl.  Accepting the special teams last year was a perfect example.    They were terrible and everyone could see it.   Why the organization acted surprised when it cost them in the playoffs was terrible.   It was out there for everyone to see.

The OL failures over the past 2 years were out there for everyone to see.   Will they fix it going into next year?

Come on, we beat both Super Bowl teams, the team that eliminated us, and hung with the AFC 1 seed with our back-up QB.  This is a good team.  Winning the Super Bowl has some luck going with it.  

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, craig said:

It's been noted that neither pick was a "need" pick, and were BPA.  Both, though, were strong opportunity picks.  If those were smart picks and the players are good, both will have opportunity to play a lot, right away.  Not developmental players with limited rookie-year opportunity in absence of injury. 

I think I disagree that interior DL wasn't a big need, but maybe that wasn't your point.  I think need and value were more or less aligned on the Wyatt pick.  There were several players that "made sense" at #28, and I think the need at DL was probably the deciding factor.  The Walker pick certainly looks like GB following their internal board/BPA 

30 minutes ago, craig said:

As always, we have zero idea how Gute scouts and values the players.  Before last night, I doubted that even 5 WR would come off before #22, much less 6.  I assumed one or two of those six would have still been on the board. 

I feel the same tonight.  You list six R2 guys; I doubt all six will come off before our pick.  But, I also have no idea how Gute stacks them.  Maybe he likes all six, and would be fine with any of them *if* he does take a WR, so he's pretty safe to stick-and-pick?  Maybe he likes only two of them, and would need to trade up to get them?  Maybe he likes only two of them, but figures they're not necessarily the ones that require trade-up?  Maybe he ranks some of your R3/R4 guys higher? Maybe he likes only two guys, but thinks they will be 3rd-round available? 

Without knowing his scouting, it's totally impossible to anticipate what his logic will be, and whether he'll stick-and-pick, again, or will trade up.  

As you noted we really don't know how the Packers have these players valued. It does feel like there will be many WR's to their liking tonight but there will be value at other positions also. And yes, I was very bullish on the likelihood of trading up last night and I do believe Gutes was too if the right player slid, just don't think things aligned for that move to happen. Don't believe anything changes today, they will follow their board and take the BPA when it is their selection. If moving up or down is an option when their board tells them to do it, they will do it. Still another fun couple of days ahead.