Around the NFL - 2022 edition

Forge

19 hours ago, Herodreamer79 said:

Who needs Patrick Mahomes when you can have Solomon Thomas. 

17 hours ago, 9erFreak77 said:

A few teams passed on him before KC traded up for him….it is what it is.

Mahomes was a hit or miss guy, with upside.   Watson was the best player in college football, AND he played QB.  I thought we were going to draft him.  I remember liking everyone in the top 5 other than Thomas.  He just seemed too blockable.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Steve_DeBerg_Fan_420 said:

Mahomes was a hit or miss guy, with upside.   Watson was the best player in college football, AND he played QB.  I thought we were going to draft him.  I remember liking everyone in the top 5 other than Thomas.  He just seemed too blockable.

3 hours ago, Steve_DeBerg_Fan_420 said:

For what it's worth, I liked Mahomes more than most. He was my highest rated QB in that class. I just didn't have any of the QBs as first round talent. As much as I liked his arm talent and off-schedule ability, there were too many variables in his game that would have made me comfortable spending a first round pick on him. Nor any QB in that class tbh.

Edited by 757-NINER
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, 757-NINER said:

For what it's worth, I liked Mahomes more than most. He was my highest rated QB in that class. I just didn't have any of the QBs as first round talent. As much as I liked his arm talent and off-schedule ability, there were too many variables in his game that made me comfortable spending a first round pick on him. Nor any QB in that class tbh.

I didn't like Mitch Trubiski.  He just didn't do much other than look like a QB.  Like Thomas looked like a DE.  

I wasn't posting online through those years, but I went through the process each offseason with a friend.  I thought Mahomes needed the right coach and a little time to excel.  My friend thought he was the next Bret Favre.  He was one of the first people to see it.  Too bad it was just me and a bunch of almond trees around to hear it, lol.

Reid was ideal.  Mahomes ability to throw deep, and throw short reminded me of Donovan McNabb.  Once he picked up the quick hitting, intermediate game, he was able to really show off his unique skill set.  I still feel like things could have still gone really wrong for him if he ended up in the wrong situation.  

Deshawn Watson checked all the boxes on film.  He was smart, had a good delivery, strong arm, and was a good athlete.  Not everything shows up on film though, *shrug*

I liked Jamal Adams, CMC, and Marshon Lattimore.  I probably would have traded back for CMC, who I thought was the best slot receiver and the best RB in the draft, or drafted Lattimore.  TBH, I woulda traded back too far for CMC, I thought he was going to go in the 15 range.  

I really liked the Ruben Foster pick, seemed like a very intense, physically gifted player.  I also thought warner would be the perfect mike to pair him with.  Another thing that didn't show up on film for me.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Forge said:

In fairness, he has been the better pick so far 😂

He has shown more for sure, he has also confirmed his ceiling.  Trey has shown very little, he has not shown where he lands yet where it is easy to argue where Jones will settle.  If you had the choice sitting at #3 again and had to pick one without trading out would you consider picking Jones over Lance?  

• Like 2

1 minute ago, 49erurtaza said:

I was about to say this lol. To be fair he had the worst OC in the league last season. I'd be pissed with no weapons, awful coaching, and scheme. 

I think he'll have a nice bounce back this year. The problem with Mac was the concern that he was already 85% of whatever qb he was going to be at the NFL when he came into the league. 

Last year was a bit of a cluster from a coaching standpoint. 

26 minutes ago, Forge said:

In fairness, he has been the better pick so far 😂

It was never going to be an indictment of Lance's first few years in the league versus Jones's.

Jones was clearly the more NFL-ready QB.

So that's not even where I'm at with it.

Jones is Purdy with less mobility and zero off-schedule ability.

Those are not Top 3 overall pick traits imo.

Now Lance is still an enigma at this juncture. But it was always about his potential down the road.

But it's not like Mac doesn't play for a competent HC who has had a ton of success. Belichick kinda knows what he's doing.

It's not all on the OC or the weapons. 

Mac just doesn't pass the eye test, time and time again.  

10 hours ago, 757-NINER said:

It was never going to be an indictment of Lance's first few years in the league versus Jones's.

Jones was clearly the more NFL-ready QB.

So that's not even where I'm at with it.

Jones is Purdy with less mobility and zero off-schedule ability.

Those are not Top 3 overall pick traits imo.

Now Lance is still an enigma at this juncture. But it was always about his potential down the road.

But it's not like Mac doesn't play for a competent HC who has had a ton of success. Belichick kinda knows what he's doing.

It's not all on the OC or the weapons. 

Mac just doesn't pass the eye test, time and time again.  

I hate the argument of top 3 traits. We chose to trade up to 3. We believed someone was worthy of the third pick.  We didn’t have to pick at 3 and we’re stuck between Lance and Mac. It was an active plan to go be in that position.  It’s not something you take a flier on because lance has those traits. You better be right and those traits better translate into a very good player. 

I was opposed to making that trade at the time and I stick with that stance now. What would this team have done with two more first round picks on the roster this year? 

Just hate the excuse that well they had to make a choice and they went with the boom or bust guy. Then don’t make the frickin trade in the first place if you weren’t all in on someone.