2022 NFL Draft Talk (No Spoiler allowed until Day 3)

JetsandI

1 minute ago, jetjuice said:

CB is absolutely still a need and you should stop speaking in absolutes because you're going to wind up with egg on your face again. CB in today's NFL is absolutely a premium position. Did Denzel Ward not just join the $100M club? It's becoming more of a passing league which means you need tools to neutralize advanced passing. That means both CB and DE, but the quick passing game is the counter to pass rush, meaning you need strong cover CB's. Sauce is that.

Any pass rusher, WR, or OT is gonna have to fight for playing time too...

Name me please the long list of shutdown CBs?

And I have no problem saying that Sauce won’t be a shutdown CB. Bc there’s literally none in the NFL anymore. And that’s why it’s not a premium position.

So if a guy gets paid and is good that makes the position elite. That would make every position in the nfl elite. And it doesn’t take a genius to know that. The league is catered to a few things….

1. QB play

2. Pass rush

3. WR play

And that’s about it. CBs can’t play like the used to. They get flagged. The NFL wants offense. So it will cater to the WR every time. And that’s why great CB play is gone. Are there still good ones as you mentioned like Ward? Yes. Is Ward altering any teams game plan? No. Bc nearly every team has a WR that can have an advantage on him, bc the league caters to that.

Some Of you want to build this team like it’s still the NFL from 2005.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Abe56 said:

I just dont know how you do a trade of that magnitude and not have a long term deal worked out.  Seems far fetched, but who knows, whole draft seems whacky right now 

It only happens if this trade was already agreed to and they have just done an excellent job of keeping the leaks out of the media (I can buy this for the 49ers...I don't know enough about the Jets ot know whether or not that would be a likely possibility ? ) No way that the Jets are taking Deebo passing a physical on spec and whatnot. Would be a nightmare if something popped up. 

So if a deal hasn't been completed, then the only way it gets there is if 35 & 38 are primary pieces imo (gives him time to get that stuff done) and I really don't know if the 49ers have interest in that. 

I still think the 49ers are content to let him (deebo) play out his anger, get out of his feels and come back to the bargaining table. The more that this has played out, the more this has really felt money / timing oriented. A lot of people are starting to think that Deebo is just broke, tbh. I know Haberman & Middlekauff have posited it, we've discussed it on our board, etc. 

1 minute ago, Bobby816 said:

Name me please the long list of shutdown CBs?

And I have no problem saying that Sauce won’t be a shutdown CB. Bc there’s literally none in the NFL anymore. And that’s why it’s not a premium position.

So if a guy gets paid and is good that makes the position elite. That would make every position in the nfl elite. And it doesn’t take a genius to know that. The league is catered to a few things….

1. QB play

2. Pass rush

3. WR play

And that’s about it. CBs can’t play like the used to. They get flagged. The NFL wants offense. So it will cater to the WR every time. And that’s why great CB play is gone. Are there still good ones as you mentioned like Ward? Yes. Is Ward altering any teams game plan? No. Bc nearly every team has a WR that can have an advantage on him, bc the league caters to that.

Some Of you want to build this team like it’s still the NFL from 2005.

So Ramsey, Alexander, Tre White, X Howard, JC Jackson aren't shutdown? Those guys alter game plans. Until recently, Stephon Gilmore was doing the same. The problem isn't that the CB's aren't good anymore, it's that the WR's coming into the league are getting better (and yes there is merit to the rule changes like you mentioned), but that would only mean you need strong CB's even more. Younger elite athletes are embracing playing outside at WR/CB, and are getting better reps younger because high school QB play is improving too. If anything, this is driving CB value way up. 

If a guy gets paid, it's an indication of positional value from team's standpoint. Yes, CB is becoming more of a premium position because better guys at the position are needed to combat against the rules that help WR's and the growing talent at WR, which is why you're seeing CB and WR contracts up there with pass rushers now. Everything you're trying to argue against is proving my exact point - CB is a premium position, that's why they're getting paid.

Just now, Bobby816 said:

I’m finding it thoroughly baffling that some are Pulling for us to draft Sauce and argue that he’d start but are against drafting a DE and WR who literally would start for us

Again, for the hundredth time, I am on the KT bandwagon, and I want London at 10. I'm just not accepting the sentiment that Sauce wouldn't start for us.

Lots of guys are confused on my position. I want KT and London today. Winfrey and Brisker tomorrow. Lineman or linebacker at 69, the other at 111. I also think that's JD's line of thought as well, and the rest is just smoke.

However, I'd be naive to not play devil's advocate and fail to prepare myself for disappointment. It's definitely possible that we take Ickey/trade Becton. Not what I want but we have to be ready for it. I do think Sauce is unlikely but I love him as a player and he would improve our CB room immediately.

11 minutes ago, jetjuice said:

Lots of guys are confused on my position. I want KT and London today. Winfrey and Brisker tomorrow. Lineman or linebacker at 69, the other at 111. I also think that's JD's line of thought as well, and the rest is just smoke.

However, I'd be naive to not play devil's advocate and fail to prepare myself for disappointment. It's definitely possible that we take Ickey/trade Becton. Not what I want but we have to be ready for it. I do think Sauce is unlikely but I love him as a player and he would improve our CB room immediately.

Not a london guy but its realistic but on day two if we take a DT I think its definitely Travis Jones from UCONN. Brisker is definitely realistic too though and honestly if our haul is KT, London, Jones and Brisker...that is a HR 

I posted what the top positions are in regards to $ back in January.  Here is the list again:

Tier 1 - QB Tier 2 - WR, EDGE, LT Tier 3 - iDL, CB, RT Tier 4 - OG, S Tier 5 - LB, TE, OC,RB

If you look at CB taken in round 1: 2021 - 5 (15.6%), 2020 - 6 (18.75%), 2019 - 3 (9.4%), 2018 - 6 (18.75%), 2017 - 7 (21.9%)  Clearly, teams are still taking CB at a relatively high rate in the first round.  Of those 27 CB's taken in round 1, 5 were top 10 (18.5%).

There were 17 OT's in round 1 in that same time span.  18 WR, 19 DE (I can't say if they are EDGE or true DE) and 22 LB some of which are EDGE. 

Based on this CB is still highly regarded.  $ wise, it is right in the middle but draft wise it is at the top (I did not do QB because it is obvious what everyone thinks of them).  So the position is not being relegated as "devalued" just yet, like RB.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

I’m finding it thoroughly baffling that some are Pulling for us to draft Sauce and argue that he’d start but are against drafting a DE and WR who literally would start for us

I think your missing my point Bobby

I want Hutch or KT at 4. If neither of them are there at 4 you go Gardner. I'm not a fan of this draft as you know. We need CB help. Heck there is  no position on this team that could use help. This team is not strong anywhere. 

QB. Wilson needs to step up. He is not in my mind the QB of the future yet. He is the QB of now because we took him 2 overall last year. 

RB. I love Carter here. (He gave me his gloves at the pats game last year cool guy) We need more than 1 RB

WR We all know we need another good one.

TE We have two lower level TE 1. Probably good here for a year or 2

OL Becton is the biggest ? here. We might need to replace him. 

DL We need an edge guy to go with Lawson

LB I like Mosley but he needs help.

CB This is a need with an average starter in Reed who we over paid for. Hall is average at best and Echols gets smoked.

S Who knows here. We have guys coming back of INJ and guys that played poor. 

K/P Hope the Leg and Mann cover this.