Day 1 Draft Thread (No Spoilers)

Ragnarok

Now I'm genuinely wondering if the Commanders got sniped hard in the move back from 11-16.

So gained a 3 and 4. Watched Olave and Jameson Williams go before 16. Took Jahan Dotson. Was that the plan, or was that desperation after miscalculating?

Another random thought about tonight's draft. I don't think many of us can claim the Texans are not in full rebuild. With that in mind I kind of like the combination of two moves here. I do a lot of mock GM stuff on this site, and this year's sweet spot for value opens and closes between probably 30-ish and somewhere in the late 4th-late 5th round, depending on how the teams before that draft. If the Texans share that view I like what they have done to accumulate picks in that range without really giving up much. It started pre-draft even. Look at the following two deals. 

Texans receive:

Round 5, 2022: No. 170 overall (from Tampa Bay)

NEW ENGLAND RECEIVES:

Round 6, 2022: No. 183 overall

Round 7, 2022: No. 245 (from Dallas)

This deal looked weird when it happened a few days ago. But as I think on it more it makes sense.

------------------------------

HOUSTON RECEIVES:

Round 1, 2022: No. 15 overall (from Miami) 

Round 4, 2022: No. 124

Round 5, 2022: No. 162

Round 5, 2022: No. 166 (from Arizona)

PHILADELPHIA RECEIVES:

Round 1, 2022: No. 13 overall (from Cleveland)

And in this deal they only move back two spots. I'm guessing they wanted Green the whole time. I think he's a hell of a player. And versatile. Caserio comes from New England and they have frequently built up quality O-lines. Green is a hell of a start. They gained 3 picks in the "sweet spot" moving only two slots. I really like it. The team needs a lot of talent. There will be a value or two on the board when those picks come back around.

41 minutes ago, RTTRUTH said:

People keep bringing up this 5th year option. I just don't think it's the thing that draftniks like to think it is.

I figure any qb worth picking up the fifth year is going to receive an extension before that even goes up for discussion 

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, RaidersAreOne said:

Not having a 1st is such a drag.

You'd be surprised how quickly you can get over it.

(And mind you, I've fully accepted the fact that when the Rams finally get on the clock late tomorrow night, there's at minimum a 70% chance that Les Snead trade back entirely out of the round and doesn't make a pick until Saturday... and forces me to get up early on Saturday...).

• Like 3

Just now, Dr LBC said:

You'd be surprised how quickly you can get over it.

(And mind you, I've fully accepted the fact that when the Rams finally get on the clock late tomorrow night, there's at minimum a 70% chance that Les Snead trade back entirely out of the round and doesn't make a pick until Saturday... and forces me to get up early on Saturday...).

I thoroughly enjoyed day 1 despite not having a pick. Actually it’s less stressful not having to worry about taking a horrendous player like shea mcclellin or something. Only thing that is actually stressful is having a team take a WR super early that should’ve been there in the early 2nd 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Ty21 said:

I thoroughly enjoyed day 1 despite not having a pick. Actually it’s less stressful not having to worry about taking a horrendous player like shea mcclellin or something. Only thing that is actually stressful is having a team take a WR super early that should’ve been there in the early 2nd 

I can still worry about what the Colts will do with their first pick at 42 tomorrow. Do they swing at a QB of the future? Force a LT in there? Do they like a WR enough?

Can I start praying it's Christian Watson? 

My guess right now is Greg Dulcich or DeMarvin Leal. But we'll see. 

1 minute ago, Ty21 said:

See, the trick is not having a pick until late Day 3... because you get so used, all off-season, to seeing guys go that you never expected to be available when your team picks that you don't get nervous until around 20 picks or so from when your team actually does pick.  I'm saying this as advice to all of you Panthers fans out there.  Just embrace it.

3 minutes ago, SkippyX said:

@RTTRUTH I'm in Houston and its what killed me about last year's Texans draft.

They used 2 picks on a just a guy WR in Nico Collins. They needed 2 players.

They are taking a much better approach now to building towards 2023 or 2024.

Nick Caserio man. Comes from the right tree. Now if they'd just hired a better coach....

Not Saying Pop Tv GIF by Schitt's Creek

Edited by RTTRUTH

1 minute ago, RTTRUTH said:

I can still worry about what the Colts will do with their first pick at 42 tomorrow. Do they swing at a QB of the future? Force a LT in there? Do they like a WR enough?

Can I start praying it's Christian Watson? 

My guess right now is Greg Dulcich or DeMarvin Leal. But we'll see. 

I'm not worried about your R2 oick.  You guys have habitually hit that round out of the damn park under Ballard.  Thereafter... you're on your own, Honey Boo Boo...

Just now, Dr LBC said:

I'm not worried about your R2 oick.  You guys have habitually hit that round out of the damn park under Ballard.  Thereafter... you're on your own, Honey Boo Boo...

Hmmm. Kemoko Turay, Tyquan Lewis, Rock Ya-Sin, that Florida CB whose name I can't even remember. We've had so many you remember the 1 or 2 that went well. There were plenty of others.

2 minutes ago, RTTRUTH said:

Hmmm. Kemoko Turay, Tyquan Lewis, Rock Ya-Sin, that Florida CB whose name I can't even remember. We've had so many you remember the 1 or 2 that went well. There were plenty of others.

Braden Smith, Michael Pittman, Darius Leonard, Jonathan freakin' Taylor.  Don't undersell your GM.