Day 1 Draft Thread (No Spoilers)

Ragnarok

Teams obviously shouldn’t pass on a blatantly superior prospect just to fill a need, but it’s rare that there’s just a single best player available. Usually you’ll have 2 or 3 guys at the top of the board with similar grades, so then need is a really good tiebreaker. 

9 hours ago, RTTRUTH said:

People keep bringing up this 5th year option. I just don't think it's the thing that draftniks like to think it is.

I'd probably agree with this sentiment.  It's nice to have in your back pocket, but ultimately you're either going to try and extend him if he hits.

Was Walker truly deserving of being the 1st overall pick? Admittedly I know very little about this draft compared to previous drafts due to checking out after the Adams trade, but fans are ripping this apart on some sites. Box score scouting at it's finest but his production looks gross. 

Did they get too cute and overthink the Hutchinson selection? Or do people see Walker truly being an elite difference maker worthy of pick #1?

9 hours ago, SkippyX said:

Here is the absolute failure of Strange as a 1st round pick.

He replaced Shaq Mason who was a very good player making good but not insane money.

Shaq returned a later round pick (4th or 5th?)

Its like Belichick made this swap with 2008's salary cap and rules in mind.

Its just bad business.

Titans: hold my beer.

• Like 1

Just now, .Buzz said:

I’m still in shock re: AJ Brown. Make it make sense.

From a winning perspective, it doesn't.

From a, we need to pull funds together to be able to afford a new stadium, and all we care about is just being profitable, and we don't want or can't set aside the guaranteed money to our offensive leader for his contract, so let's just take whatever offer someone throws at us because we are a poverty franchise, it makes sense.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, RaidersAreOne said:

Was Walker truly deserving of being the 1st overall pick? Admittedly I know very little about this draft compared to previous drafts due to checking out after the Adams trade, but fans are ripping this apart on some sites. Box score scouting at it's finest but his production looks gross. 

Did they get too cute and overthink the Hutchinson selection? Or do people see Walker truly being an elite difference maker worthy of pick #1?

Truth is no one knows yet. His production wasn't amazing because of how talented the team around him was, and also partially because his pass rush repertoire isn't very evolved. The strength of his game to this point has been run defense. 

However, when you look at what you want build-wise in a prototypical edge rusher, it's Walker. When you look at his combine numbers, they're outstanding. Athletically it's easy to say he should be capable of becoming a top 10 pass rusher in the NFL. So the Jags took that leap of faith. Will it prove to be smart? That remains to be seen. But that's largely why the internet is ripping it apart.

Another thing, and I'll try and give credit to some of the educated Jags fans on this site, is the Jags defense is supposedly transitioning to a 3-4 base defense. If that's the case, Hutchinson is not really built for a 3-4 defense. So to say he was the Obvious pick is just misinformed. You're playing outside Edge-rusher/pass coverage LB now, not hand in the dirt down lineman. I think Walker or Thibs look much more like the kind of prospect you take as OLBs