Day 1 Draft Thread (No Spoilers)

Ragnarok

10 minutes ago, RaidersAreOne said:

Was Walker truly deserving of being the 1st overall pick? Admittedly I know very little about this draft compared to previous drafts due to checking out after the Adams trade, but fans are ripping this apart on some sites. Box score scouting at it's finest but his production looks gross. 

Did they get too cute and overthink the Hutchinson selection? Or do people see Walker truly being an elite difference maker worthy of pick #1?

No. Walker is a beast. Elite run stuffer and gap-sound. Length and technique to lock out on any OT. Will absolutely destroy TE’s as that base LDE.

Has the kind of twitch DL coaches dream of when scheming up pressures and stunts. He is truly everything you could want in terms of a run stopper and athlete.

Against the passer, he’s raw. He didn’t see many snaps as an EDGE, but clearly, he’s demonstrated the bend, bull rush, speed-to-power, and tenacity to eventually become a nightmare out there.

He reminds me of a combination of Clowney meets Calais Campbell meets Mario Williams. I honestly don’t think he needs a ton of developing. He will impact games from day 1 and will eventually become a nightmare on pass downs.

Hutch and KT are studs too, but I think Walker offers the best traits and ceiling…while still having a high floor. Even if he never becomes a dominant EDGE rusher, Jacksonville has Allen as the pure edge. Walker will be the bull rusher opposite or will be playing 3-Tech on pass downs, working slower guards with pure physical gifts.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, RaidersAreOne said:

Was Walker truly deserving of being the 1st overall pick? Admittedly I know very little about this draft compared to previous drafts due to checking out after the Adams trade, but fans are ripping this apart on some sites. Box score scouting at it's finest but his production looks gross. 

Did they get too cute and overthink the Hutchinson selection? Or do people see Walker truly being an elite difference maker worthy of pick #1?

IMO Travon Walker is worth the first pick. He isn't an edge rusher, but he's a 5tech that can kick in to 4 or 3 tech and beat up a guard on passing downs, and has very unique athleticism that can even drop into zones and ply coverage. He's a very good complementary piece to go opposite Josh Allen. He can play base end in 4-3 looks, 4/5tech in 3-4 looks, he can kick out to OLB in a JPP on the Buccs or how the Packers use super sized OLBs that also shut down the run. It's the piece that makes the Jags defense have the potential to have multiple high functioning looks imo.

I like Hutchinson as a 4-3 edge lined up at wide 9 like a Nick Bosa, or if you have to stand him up Shaq Barrett. Walker has the length and strength to two gap when needed. There would have been nothing wrong if they went the other direction and went Hutch or KT, but they have that sort of player in Josh Allen. You need two gappers that can also contribute in other ways. Two gappers that can kick inside can be found in the late first or later sure... but Taven Bryan busted for them and Walker is about as good at what he does with the most athletic potential you are ever going to find. If Walker was who he was on a different defense (Georgia, not Jaguars) and still had low counting stats I'd be more concerned, but in Georgia he beats his rep and one of many first round talents also would beat their rep. Walker was a half sack away from team lead in sacks in context even though it was only 6.

The new Jags DC comes from Tampa under Todd Bowles, pressure is going to be sent and Walker is going to be a great fit that can line up all over to create match ups, and if somewhere on every team is going to have a weakness to a freak list Walker. They need another big boy to line up hand in the ground imo, maybe Travis Jones to go Hamilton, Jones, Walker and then have the ATL MLB and Devin Lloyd at MLB and Arden Key/Klavon Chaisson and Josh Allen as edge rushing LBers.

So who's got a good hat recipe?  Malik was indeed available at 20.

It seems if I say "If X seemingly unlikely thing happens, I'll eat my hat" then that thing happens.

So, my bold predictions next season should be spot on.

Edited by Daniel

39 minutes ago, RuskieTitan said:

From a winning perspective, it doesn't.

From a, we need to pull funds together to be able to afford a new stadium, and all we care about is just being profitable, and we don't want or can't set aside the guaranteed money to our offensive leader for his contract, so let's just take whatever offer someone throws at us because we are a poverty franchise, it makes sense.

Can't wait to see you 100% backing your team again and complaining about refs when you don't win.

1 hour ago, RaidersAreOne said:

I think we probably had a similar grade on several players and Walker was the best fit.  In a division with Jonathan Taylor and Derrick Henry, defending the run is a must and has been a real problem for us when facing those teams.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, BigTrav said:

Can't wait to see you 100% backing your team again and complaining about refs when you don't win.

I don't know if I can. Some of my favorite games in recent years didn't involve the Titans - Chiefs and Bills were probably the best game, and I think part of my entertainment and enjoyment was that I didn't have a stake in the results - whichever team won would be it, and I wouldn't stress over wanting 'my' team to win. 

I stuck with the team through the salary cap purge years, locking out McNair, 7-9 Fisher, the Mularkey and Whisenhunt eras... all those times, there was hope and fun on occassion - 13-3 season, CJ2K - but they all end in bitterness and misery. Tannehill's single-handily throwing the game away against the Bengals, and then following up by being cheap (16 per year is what they offered AJ, along with incentives tops out at 20) to our young offensive star and shipping him away because we can't pay him is just... if the franchise doesn't want to do what they can to win a Super Bowl, then what's the point of rooting for them?

I've had the Titans fanhood for 2/3 of my life. It won't be easy to just cut ties completely. But for my football enjoyment, it makes more sense to just enjoy individual matchups, and root based on that. Would I experience the highs of elation when 'my' team wins? No, but nor would I feel like my time and resources are going to waste supporting a team that doesn't prioritize winning, and I wouldn't taste the bitterness of watching one player screw over the other 54.

I've mulled over other teams that might make sense - Philly (grew up as a kid), Carolina (moved there before school, majority of my life), Arizona (local), Raiders (nearby), and... just don't feel that pull, but neither do the Titans have a pull on me like they once did.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, BigTrav said:

You'll be fine, it's just one player. Henry will bring you back

To make a crude comparison, say someone is in a relationship and they love the other person, but they experience abuse / gaslighting / DV on occasion. Doesn't happen daily, or even regularly, but it does happen from time to time. Is it healthy to stay in that relationship? At what point do you say enough is enough, I need to get out for my well-being?

Man, day one of the draft 

1 minute ago, RuskieTitan said:

To make a crude comparison, say someone is in a relationship and they love the other person, but they experience abuse / gaslighting / DV on occasion. Doesn't happen daily, or even regularly, but it does happen from time to time. Is it healthy to stay in that relationship? At what point do you say enough is enough, I need to get out for my well-being?

What chances their day two selections reel you back in?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, goldfishwars said:

Man, day one of the draft 

What chances their day two selections reel you back in?

Reel me in? 0%. It's not about the draft, it's about the overall direction of the franchise.

Don't get me wrong, I'm going to watch the entire draft today and tomorrow. I enjoy seeing where the players go, and what happens around the league. My disgust with the Titans doesn't impact that.

Do I hope Burks pans out? Sure, but frankly I thought he is going to bust, so there's that, but what I will say is that it's unfair to the young man for being put into a situation where the expectations are "Hey, we traded away AJ Brown and you are his replacement, better live up to expectations!". That's on the organization for doing that to him.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, RuskieTitan said:

Do I hope Burks pans out? Sure, but frankly I thought he is going to bust, so there's that, but what I will say is that it's unfair to the young man for being put into a situation where the expectations are "Hey, we traded away AJ Brown and you are his replacement, better live up to expectations!". That's on the organization for doing that to him.

Yeah - replacing proven entities via the draft, rather than complimenting them tends to work out badly. Especially at receiver.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BigTrav said:

Malik just aint it. The league are right on this one. 

Completely agree. I watched a handful of his games and I didn't see him throw it between the numbers once. He's allergic to processing the middle of the field and his rushing ability is not at the elite level of a Lamar or Vick to compensate for that. 

I won't be surprised if we don't see a QB selected in the 2nd round. 

42 minutes ago, RuskieTitan said:

Boy do I feel you. In 2020 in this forum when we all had to pick people we thought were going to bust (before the draft) I picked Kinlaw with the pick they received in the Buckner trade. Then the 49ers picked him and it really, really sucked that I felt that way LOL 

Hoping it works out better for you 

• Like 1