Official 2022 NFL Draft Thread

Texansfan713

53 minutes ago, Texansfan713 said:

Was our number 1 CB opposite Marcus Jones.  Was at Houston for 2019-2021.  Very good starter for us. Tough as nails. Really good in run support.  He is undersized and might miss a few tackles but he made plays while he was here.  He held his own in his D1 debut against OU in 2019. 

Thanks! Appreciate the info. I really wanted the Ravens to draft Marcus Jones to play SCB for us, but they ended up taking his teammate a round later. Which is interesting. Does seem really physical for his size from what I've seen. Excited to watch him this preseason.

8 hours ago, Texansfan713 said:

You can never have too many CBs.  If some reason Zyon McCollum is there when we pick round 5 we should scoop him up.  Seen him play several times at San Houston St. He is a playmaker.

We just signed his brother 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ET80 said:

So I’m holding my breath for Jalen Wydermyer, Carson Strong, Abram Smith and Joshua Jobe as UDFAs. Those are four guys who have some really nice upside, can be crafted into key guys on a 53 man roster.

- Wydermyer to Buffalo
- Strong to Philadelphia
- Smith to New Orleans

In hindsight, I'm still really liking this draft. It's probably the first time ever I have no real complaints on any pick:

- Derek Stingley Jr is a great selection; Sure, Sauce Gardner has the impressive statline against AAC level players, but Stingley did similar things against top level guys such as Jeudy, Waddle, Smith, Jameson, etc. I'm not too worried on his foot, players are heavily evaluated on injuries during the pre-draft process (look at Nakobe Dean and Carson Strong as two examples - if someone has injury concerns, they'll drop).

- Kenyon Green was an ever so slight reach at 15 (and I think Zion Johnson went two picks later, so wasn't really a reach considering the next best guy went quickly after that). Sure, I would have Ioved Kyle Hamilton - but the need at OL was specific and Caserio took the right position.

- VERY inspired pick with Jalen Pitre. Plays fast and super aggressive, very physical and a contributor on all three levels. RGIII calls him another Kyle Hamilton, I actually think he’s very similar to Tyrann Mathieu. Tremendous pick.

- John Metchie III was another inspiring pickup; Using the capital gained from the trade down from 15, the Texans grabbed a technically savvy WR with great route running skills and great hands. Metchie is on track to make it to Training Camp, so I expect him to contribute this season.

- Christian Harris fits the mold of a Tampa 2 LB; Undersized but is all over the place, athletic enough to play in coverages effectively and can stop the run as a clean up guy in pursuit. A blue collar LB with some athletic traits is a plus acquisition.

- Most people I know wanted Isaiah Spiller in the 4th (myself included) but Dameon Pierce is an exciting pickup; He’s hyper aggressive and runs with fury, gets to the next level quickly and runs with bad intentions. Good in pass protection as well as in routes, his inexplicable lack of touches is a benefit; Low mileage is a premium for a violent runner.

- Thomas Booker at DT is a good addition to a good rotation; He’s going to figure in early with Roy Lopez, Maliek Collins and Ross Blacklock.

- It wouldn’t be a Texans draft without a TE, and Teagan Quitoriano is most certainly a TE. Brevin Jordan is more an oversized WR, so Quitty here should be in line a bit. Don’t be shocked if the Texans bring in another TE to play while Quitty here gets ready.

- OL Austin Deculus is a RT or RG at this level, and should probably find himself on the PS to determine which one of the two positions he’ll be going forward.

All in all, I have no complaints - Sauce or Stingley was my ideal choice at 3, and I would have been happy either way. An edge rusher is still an outstanding need, but this team wasn’t aiming for an overnight rebuild.

The one thing that was great to see was what Nick Caserio could do with a full compliment of picks - and he didn’t disappoint. He bobbed and weaved through the draft board, addressing issues while finding value wherever he made his picks. If this is what he can do with a full board, the next two drafts are going to be FUN.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, tab said:

I saw someone use two words when talking about Dameon Pierce that got me super excited: “feature back”

I think he’ll be a better pro than collegiate player… or, he’ll be like Chris Henry of the Titans and disappear into the void.

No matter, get a few years out of him and move on.

33 minutes ago, ET80 said:

I think he’ll be a better pro than collegiate player… or, he’ll be like Chris Henry of the Titans and disappear into the void.

No matter, get a few years out of him and move on.

There’s no reason he’s not the main guy week 1. That’s not anything about him, but just the state of our RBs. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Pastor Dillon said:

There’s no reason he’s not the main guy week 1. That’s not anything about him, but just the state of our RBs. 

I think he and Mack will split time; Mack is serviceable, but it’ll be pretty apparent that Pierce is probably the head of the stable.

• Like 1

100% agree with what @ET80said earlier. I can see the logic for each and every pick. Wasn't crazy about the late round picks, but those are throws at the dart board. Sometimes you get Roy Lopez, other times you get Isaiah Coulter. Two things I noticed about this draft. The obvious is that we drafted A TON of SEC players. 6 out of 9 and 4 out of 5 when you look at day 1 and 2 picks. The second one is that 3 of our picks ended up on Bruce Feldman's "The Freaks" list which lists players with freaky athletic abilities. Stingley checked in at #9, Pierce at #21, and Harris at #27. Below are the excerpts on them.

Also on Pierce: even though he had low rushing yardage, if you look at the Gators overall, a big reason why is the offense they ran. He was 1st in rushing in 2020 with only 503 yards and was 2nd on the team last year (the QB rushed for over 700 yards). 

In 2018 at The Opening in Dallas, the five-star cornerback measured 6-foot-1 and 193 pounds. He clocked a 4.30-second 40 time and a 42-inch vertical to go with a 4.28 shuttle. That pretty much cemented his Freak status, and he has backed up the recruiting hype with stellar play in his two seasons. Stingley now weighs 194 pounds and he hasn’t tested in those events recently, but a source very close to him said he’s faster and more explosive than he was back then and is very confident he will top those numbers when he gets to the NFL combine.

He’s lost 11 pounds from last year,” LSU strength coach Tommy Moffitt said. “He committed himself to being as lean and fit as can be. It was an incredible challenge because of how lean he was already. He’s a super disciplined young man.”

He led the Gators in rushing with 503 yards last season and also caught 17 passes for 156 yards. The 5-10, 215-pound senior might have the strongest lower body of any running back in college football. Pierce squats 705 pounds and vertical jumps 37 inches. He’s clocked a 4.50 40 and has just 6 percent body fat. In addition, he benches 390 pounds.

A standout for the Tide at will linebacker, Harris has been superb the past two seasons. In 2020, he was second on the team in tackles with 79, which included seven tackles for losses and 4.5 sacks. The 6-2, 232-pounder merits a spot on our list for his exceptional explosiveness, power cleaning 405 pounds.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, LORK88 said:

100% agree with what @ET80said earlier. I can see the logic for each and every pick. Wasn't crazy about the late round picks, but those are throws at the dart board. Sometimes you get Roy Lopez, other times you get Isaiah Coulter. Two things I noticed about this draft. The obvious is that we drafted A TON of SEC players. 6 out of 9 and 4 out of 5 when you look at day 1 and 2 picks. The second one is that 3 of our picks ended up on Bruce Feldman's "The Freaks" list which lists players with freaky athletic abilities. Stingley checked in at #9, Pierce at #21, and Harris at #27. Below are the excerpts on them.

Also on Pierce: even though he had low rushing yardage, if you look at the Gators overall, a big reason why is the offense they ran. He was 1st in rushing in 2020 with only 503 yards and was 2nd on the team last year (the QB rushed for over 700 yards). 

Physical freaks + desire / character + coaching / scheme = success