Round 2: Let's Talk Bears Prospects and Draft Approach

G08

6 minutes ago, CBears019 said:

Like to read that Fields is involved in this process to some degree.

I just watched the Poles presser and that was what stood out to me too. Said something about “wanting my QB’s input” and pointed out specifically that one of the guys they watched was Velus Jones. Also made it seem like he and Justin are talking pretty frequently. Flies directly in the face of the “Poles doesn’t really like Justin” narrative. He’s literally involving him in his pre-draft film study on potential draft picks. Not sure it gets more invested in their mutual success than that.

And for those freaking out about the OL he talked about there being guys on the street to fill their needs there too. 

• Like 3

I don’t understand not investing in the OL. 

Every year we ***** about the OL, the Bears don’t really invest in it, they continue to suck, and we are stuck in this never ending cycle of poor OL play.

At some point you need to actually invest dollars, premium picks, or both.

The OL will very likely be poor again this year, it will drag down the offense, QB, and season, and everyone will wonder why the OL is bad again when we signed Patrick and spent a 5th and 6th round pick on it.

1 hour ago, GOGRIESE said:

If you ever get a chance to see his show definitely go. It's crazy good. Show was a couple hours long and felt like 20 minutes it was so mesmerizing and fast paced. 

𝓐𝓻𝓮 𝔂𝓸𝓾 𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓭𝔂

Just now, WindyCity said:

Every year we ***** about the OL, the Bears don’t really invest in it, they continue to suck, and we are stuck in this never ending cycle of poor OL play.

The OL will very likely be poor again this year, it will drag down the offense, QB, and season, and everyone will wonder why the OL is bad again when we signed Patrick and spent a 5th and 6th round pick on it.

We already got our OL bro. Except he wears a suit and sits in a GM chair. 

Best part about Velus Jones is probably the fact that he will experience his entire prime in the nfl on a rookie deal lol. 

I think he’ll be okay in a quicker paced offense featuring a lot of screens and quick slants, etc. Feel like he might play more to Mooney’s skill set, although I might’ve preferred Pierce who has more size and isn’t 35 years old and looks to be more of a red zone guy. 

Some fun facts about DBs drafted in the 2nd round since the salary cap era (1994)

1) There have been 201 DBs drafted in the 2nd round

2) Only 1 DB is in the HOF (Brian Dawkins) -- although Hester should be

3) Only 17 DBs have been voted 1st team All-Pro at least one time

4) Only 7 DBs have been voted 1st team All-Pro more than once

• Brian Dawkins   4
  • Devin Hester    3
  • Budda Baker    2
  • Eric Weddle    2
  • Bob Sanders    2
  • Sam Madison    2
  • Darren Sharper    2
  • Trevon Diggs    1
  • Xavien Howard    1
  • Landon Collins    1
  • Darius Slay    1
  • Charles Tillman    1
  • Rashean Mathis1
  • Mike Brown    1
  • Patrick Surtain    1
  • Samari Rolle    1
  • Lawyer Milloy    1

5) Before today, the Bears had only drafted 6 DBs in the 2nd round

• 2020    2    50    Jaylon Johnson
  • 2006    2    57    Devin Hester
  • 2006    2    42    Danieal Manning
  • 2003    2    35    Charles Tillman
  • 2000    2    39    Mike Brown
  • 1998    2    35    Tony Parrish

7 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

And so it begins

5 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

Gordon and Brisker are great values. They will help the defense a ton.

Our lack of investment on offense throughout the offseason is baffling to me.

On paper this is a really bad offense.

Be patient Windy. Let it play out.

.....yeah i'm not even gonna bother with a sarcasm gif on this one.

Just now, JAF-N72EX said:

Be patient Windy. Let it play out.

.....yeah i'm not even gonna bother with a sarcasm gif on this one.

I am just honestly confused. You identified the OL as a weakness and you are going to fix it with Patrick and some day 3 picks, maybe a post draft free agent?

Protecting Fields should be the #1 priority. I just don’t see it.

1 minute ago, WindyCity said:

I am just honestly confused. You identified the OL as a weakness and you are going to fix it with Patrick and some day 3 picks, maybe a post draft free agent?

Did you watch his presser where he said he liked the value better where he made the picks and that there are OL on the street that can fill our needs there too? I know that’s not the answer you want but it’s an answer that (assuming he acts on it) also addresses our immediate OL need with capable OL.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

This is what happens in the modern era when you hire an inexperience GM who then in turn hires a defensive minded coach.

1 minute ago, AZBearsFan said:

Did you watch his presser where he said he liked the value better where he made the picks and that there are OL on the street that can fill our needs there too? I know that’s not the answer you want but it’s an answer that (assuming he acts on it) also addresses our immediate OL need with capable OL.

What else is he going to say? "I didn't like the picks or the position value but chose them anyway".

3 minutes ago, AZBearsFan said:

I didn’t see that part of the presser.

I think there is a hard ceiling on guys you’re signing in free agency now. Would have been nice to add someone  with ceiling to the group.

I think we have under invested in the OL. You can think differently, but I don’t think that I rooted in an objective opinion of the group.