The 2022 Packers Defense

Packerraymond

Lets see how the defense looks after we trade JA for Deebo.

Yah, defense is now loaded.  From what I understand, there are a lot of corners in the draft with size and speed.  Hope we take one of them.

And I'd really like that Cam Thomas on the EDGE for us.

3 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

GB making an effort to let Rodgers know he shouldn't have to score 30 to win.  In other words, hand the ball off Aaron.  Score 20.  Let this defense do the heavy lifting for you.

If anything, I think it's a vote of confidence in LaFleur's scheme.  I think LaFleur believes he can scheme 20+ points.

• Like 2

When a poster put up Walker's results from his pro day this pick screamed of CMIII. Great measureables, went from part time starter to solid starter but getting better every game. Suspect that they make him a chess piece, inside run stopper, use him outside for rushing the passer, drop into coverage to stop those slants over the middle. It seems that they will use him instead of dropping a safety in the box for that 3rd down and four scenario.

I don't think Wyatt makes a big impact right away. He will need to get stronger and it takes the best DL guys a year or two to be NFL tuff.

I like both of these picks, just glad no WR taken.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, deltarich87 said:

7 1st round picks on that side of the ball. Sheesh

7 1st round picks AND Preston Smith, De'Vondre Campbell, Rasul Douglas.  If this group stays healthy, they will be a top 5 defense in 2022. The crazy thing is all 7 1st round picks are ascending players. Crazy. 

10 hours ago, Green19 said:

It’s just smart… they have Jones and Dillon. I’m all for defense. I want an elite unit. If GB wins 10-3 every game it won’t matter.

I want a nasty defense. They are finally getting there.

Cant win 10-3 when special teams gives up 10 points.   You wind up losing 13-10. Sound familiar?

21 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

GB making an effort to let Rodgers know he shouldn't have to score 30 to win.  In other words, hand the ball off Aaron.  Score 20.  Let this defense do the heavy lifting for you.

It's the kind of defense you build for a young QB to grow in and still find success.  These moves would make much more sense (to me) if Rodgers had been traded.  They still probably make sense though for the same reasons--a great defense makes it easier to find success.

Right now, I'm still squirming over an ILB in the first and a 24 year old rookie.  BUT, I'm not a talent evaluator, so maybe they do make sense. 

2 minutes ago, Hands said:

When a poster put up Walker's results from his pro day this pick screamed of CMIII. Great measureables, went from part time starter to solid starter but getting better every game. Suspect that they make him a chess piece, inside run stopper, use him outside for rushing the passer, drop into coverage to stop those slants over the middle. It seems that they will use him instead of dropping a safety in the box for that 3rd down and four scenario.

I don't think Wyatt makes a big impact right away. He will need to get stronger and it takes the best DL guys a year or two to be NFL tuff.

I like both of these picks, just glad no WR taken.

Except CM3's 10yrd split was insane.  1.49 if I remember correctly.  QW had 1.60.  Not arguing the rest of the comparison, but to me, CM3's distinguishing characteristic was his launch.  QW's might be his agility and change of direction based on the numbers.

4 minutes ago, hitnhope said:

Cant win 10-3 when special teams gives up 10 points.   You wind up losing 13-10. Sound familiar?

Hiring a "new" special teams coach ... one of the best in the NFL helps.  He probably will have some say on the type of players he wants for his style play.  A year to late in doing so but lesson learned ... hopefully!

3 minutes ago, Smidgeon said:

Except CM3's 10yrd split was insane.  1.49 if I remember correctly.  QW had 1.60.  Not arguing the rest of the comparison, but to me, CM3's distinguishing characteristic was his launch.  QW's might be his agility and change of direction based on the numbers.

I think you're right and Q's agility and change of direction makes him better for coverage...using a big guy on 3rd downs that can cover, and stop the run will stop a lot of drives.

8 minutes ago, coachbuns said:

Hiring a "new" special teams coach ... one of the best in the NFL helps.  He probably will have some say on the type of players he wants for his style play.  A year to late in doing so but lesson learned ... hopefully!

Seems we are always a year too late on fixing things.  Special teams problems were obvious last year.

OL + Wr  problems should be obvious this year.  Two years in a row we are playing an OL that is not ready in the playoffs.   Probably should do something about that this off-season.   Its already cost us twice.   The WR room has been in steady decline since Gute took over.   Seems he needs to fix it this off-season.

There are still plenty of picks to get both things done.   Hope he has a good 2 days now.

18 minutes ago, Smidgeon said:

It's the kind of defense you build for a young QB to grow in and still find success.  These moves would make much more sense (to me) if Rodgers had been traded.  They still probably make sense though for the same reasons--a great defense makes it easier to find success.

Right now, I'm still squirming over an ILB in the first and a 24 year old rookie.  BUT, I'm not a talent evaluator, so maybe they do make sense. 

It's also the kind of defense, and offense, that you can win big with with an old QB.

Let me "sell" you on Walker and Wyatt.

Walker can flat out fly and he's sudden.  I feel like he is a will backer right now, but he should be able to grow into a mike.  So when Campbell is done, I have little doubt that Walker will take over.

Remember all those bubble screens, jet actions and QB scrambles (Fields)?  This will should be a weapon against that.  If Fields tucks it away from Gary and runs over and over I feel like Walker is going to flat out murder him.

Wyatt.  Lowry and Reed have one year left on their deals.  We have Slaton as a nose.  Wyatt next to him.  This selection makes perfect sense for now and the future.

These are great roster building picks.  And both of these kids have won big games.  I dare say, they expect to win.  

We still have much work to do in the draft.  We need some WR's, we need an EDGE and we need OL depth.  Maybe even a developmental corner.  

Defense wins championships, right?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, hitnhope said:

Seems we are always a year too late on fixing things.  Special teams problems were obvious last year.

OL + Wr  problems should be obvious this year.  Two years in a row we are playing an OL that is not ready in the playoffs.   Probably should do something about that this off-season.   Its already cost us twice.   The WR room has been in steady decline since Gute took over.   Seems he needs to fix it this off-season.

There are still plenty of picks to get both things done.   Hope he has a good 2 days now.

You are so right , not arguing about the first two picks I like them. But we always seem to be a year or two late to fix glaring problems.