Round 1 Overreactions

goldfishwars

15 minutes ago, Ragnarok said:

As a Packers fan, for the first time ever, I'm more worried about the Lions than the Bears or Vikings.

Bears are a dumpster fire, Vikings like just giving away draft value, but the Lions seem to be making smart decisions and building a functional roster.

The Lions still have a long way to go. That defense is epically atrocious and they still don’t really have a QB. They had a great start and are looking competent in the front office, but I expect them to be a bottom feeder again unless some of last year’s picks take major leaps forward on defense. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Ragnarok said:

As a Packers fan, for the first time ever, I'm more worried about the Lions than the Bears or Vikings.

Bears are a dumpster fire, Vikings like just giving away draft value, but the Lions seem to be making smart decisions and building a functional roster.

Agreed.  I'm interested to see where Chicago goes today, but Detroit seems to be building things the right way.

1 hour ago, biggie. said:

It's why I think the draft is overrated and overhyped. It's cool to see us add new talent and all, but whether they pan or not remains to be seen.

Oh, I don't think anyone has thought of this. We should close down the whole message board in case someone turns out to be wrong about a prospect. Otherwise they will feel very silly l.

"Sauce" - why don't we call them ALL by their nicknames then? - Gardner is far too skinny and light to play in the NFL, he will get big-boy'd by big boy receivers that populate the NFL, and he's going to be looking up at clouds more than he is looking up for the ball. Doesn't belong in NFL, a massive bust incoming, and he cares more about his tacky, crap bind around his neck.

Don't hate, it's the thread.

Edited by BigTrav

6 minutes ago, BigTrav said:

"Sauce" - why don't we call them ALL by their nicknames then? - Gardner is far too skinny and light to play in the NFL, he will get big-boy'd by big boy receivers that populate the NFL, and he's going to be looking up at clouds more than he is looking up for the ball. Doesn't belong in NFL, a massive bust incoming, and he cares more about his tacky, crap bind around his neck.

Don't hate, it's the thread.

I'll go the opposite-

Gardner is up there with cleanest CB prospects in recent years and will be an immediate impact defender. He's a perennial pro bowler and the best corner the Jets have had since Revis

5 hours ago, BofaDeez54927 said:

I still can't wrap my head around why the Vikings dropped as far as they did for such a poor return.

There doesn't seem to be any angle which makes sense outside of they were trading down to 32 no matter what.

I really think they didn't want to take WR  or Davis and thought Cine was as good as Hamilton (which a decent amount of people do think). Problem was likely that Detroit was the only offer they really had to go down and got poor return for the effort.

10 minutes ago, Teen Girl Squad said:

I really think they didn't want to take WR  or Davis and thought Cine was as good as Hamilton (which a decent amount of people do think). Problem was likely that Detroit was the only offer they really had to go down and got poor return for the effort.

I'm guessing the initial ask was for 32, 34 and 66. Holmes countered with adding 46 to that deal and Minny panicked when other potential deals fell apart.

I don't think Cine was part of the thought process when they made the deal.

34 minutes ago, Teen Girl Squad said:

The wild part about it, is they don't have a corner to cover Jameson Williams. 

6 hours ago, Hunter2_1 said:

I thought you said Overreaction?...

My balanced take on that: If he turns into Thuney II, are we really going to look back on this and care where we took him? Despite some glaring holes

My overreaction: REVOKE BILL'S DRAFTING PRIVILEGES RIGHT THIS INSTANT. HE'S KILLING THIS ROSTER YEAR IN YEAR OUT

I thought the overreaction would be to either blame the dog or, on the entire polar opposite end, force Bill to let the dog pick for him from now on.

6 hours ago, BofaDeez54927 said:

I still can't wrap my head around why the Vikings dropped as far as they did for such a poor return.

There doesn't seem to be any angle which makes sense outside of they were trading down to 32 no matter what.

I had to triple take at the compensation before believing that's all they got. The worst part is that nobody on the ESPN panel had the clarity or guts to say anything about it. In fact, Mike Greenberg actually said the Vikings got a nice haul.

The Mississippi State tackle has very poor hand placement. Maybe it's fixable but historically the guys who keep their hands that low and awkward do not fully pan out. They allow the edge rusher too much immediate momentum toward their body, while on retreat. At that point one decent move and they're beaten. 

I didn't think any quarterbacks would go in round one, even though I saw some mocks with as many as four. Pickett was 23 years old before the season opener of his senior season. Historically that is a very ominous sign and indicates low upside. You never want to rely on late bloomers at quarterback while your competitors have prodigies at the position. Ryan Tannehill was the last one I remember with that 23+ resume. It is the reason I wanted no part of him as a Dolphins fan. Obviously the Tannehill career is technically very good return on investment but that was a 23+ outlier on the high end and even at Tannehill level you still need too much to go right everywhere else on the roster to be a serious contender. A first round quarterback should be the opposite, someone who allows margin for error throughout the roster. 

As a USC alum I was shocked that London went that high and was the first receiver taken. As I've emphasized, the wide receiver position is overloaded year after year in high school recruiting. It is far and away the most stacked position in terms of elite talent. This was the first year the draft finally caught up with the obvious trend. NFL rosters are going to become dominant at wide receiver. I don't see how Drake London taken that high is going to match the overall caliber of the league, nor trading a first round pick for Hollywood Brown. The smart teams will realize there are so many great receivers many of them will be available later. That's already been the norm.