Round 2 Pick 34; Christian Watson, WR, NDSU

Packerraymond

1 minute ago, Packerraymond said:

Speed guys always kill on slants. Cant play them in press with many DB's or they get burned, off coverage means easy slant completions. Metcalf (who's massively limited in breaking routes due to lower body flexibility) showcases this all the time. 

Metcalf is a big body who’s tougher than whatever contact a 198lb DB can throw at him. Jordy was like that too. Big body who was unfazed by contact. Watch Watson at NDSU on YouTube, they have almost every reception of his from 2021 up. He’s a thin body and doesn’t box out well. That’s why I say his upside on slants is limited. 

14 minutes ago, JordanLoveFTW said:

Metcalf is a big body who’s tougher than whatever contact a 198lb DB can throw at him. Jordy was like that too. Big body who was unfazed by contact. Watch Watson at NDSU on YouTube, they have almost every reception of his from 2021 up. He’s a thin body and doesn’t box out well. That’s why I say his upside on slants is limited. 

Your point has nothing to do with what my post said. You don't box out on slants, save for maybe goalline situations where there is no fear of a deep route. The route is already won on alignment because of the fear of Watson's speed. You aren't going to play most DB's face up on him unless he really starts to struggle with press. The slant is a 1 or 3 step route; you aren't making up 8 yards of cushion in that amount of time. It's also a full speed break, where any lower body tightness shouldn't affect you. Watson is going to be a great option on slants. 

if you are expecting your WR to win by boxing out the defenders on pass plays, there is likely a failure of concept along the way.  The goal is to create separation and use route concepts to have defenders out of position.  

Most WR that are good at contested catches in college are notedly less good in the NFL due to the DB's being better and playing the ball in the NFL.  

Maybe that variety of slant works for him. That does happen sometimes. 

I’m still of the mind that we won’t see too much of it. Slants are usually tightly covered and contested. 

I think you’re remembering plays like Robert Brooks 99yd TD and thinking they’re more common than they are. They’re usually contested. Jerry Rice had a knack for being wide open on slants too. You don’t see a lot of it though. 

EDIT Brooks 99 yarder wasn’t a slant, but I have one of him burned in my memory on a slant route. 

Edited by JordanLoveFTW

55 minutes ago, JordanLoveFTW said:

I thought he was the best against press at the Senior Bowl. He doesn’t box out well at the catch point, but he does well shedding and stacking against press.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, TheEagle said:

I thought he was the best against press at the Senior Bowl. He doesn’t box out well at the catch point, but he does well shedding and stacking against press.

I’ll stand corrected that he’s limited on the slants. For a few reasons you guys mentioned. 

It’s just that tight quarters slant that he’ll struggle with. 

So after bouncing my ideas off you guys on what I thought his limitations were, and then being corrected a little bit, I’ve come to a final opinion of what I expect from Watson. 

He has potential to run all routes well except out routes and dig routes, where he really has to make an abrupt cut. 

He’ll struggle with contested catches. He doesn’t seem to use his size well to shrug off contact and still make a catch. 

His strength is his vertical routes and then the very effective comebacks that he works off of that. Included in his vertical strength is a natural ability to back shoulder, good ball tracking skills and even though he struggles with contact usually, down the field on 50/50 balls he’s pretty good going after the ball. 

Other than the couple knocks I have on him, he has potential to round out his game pretty well and be a #1 receiver. But I expect him to be a good #2. I just think the weaknesses are pretty important ones and will limit him from being a volume pass catcher. 

If he ran outs and digs better and was a beast working through contact, he would have been a top 10 pick. But he has his couple warts in what is an otherwise pretty exciting profile. 

Edited by JordanLoveFTW

1 hour ago, JordanLoveFTW said:

So after bouncing my ideas off you guys on what I thought his limitations were, and then being corrected a little bit, I’ve come to a final opinion of what I expect from Watson. 

He has potential to run all routes well except out routes and dig routes, where he really has to make an abrupt cut. 

He’ll struggle with contested catches. He doesn’t seem to use his size well to shrug off contact and still make a catch. 

His strength is his vertical routes and then the very effective comebacks that he works off of that. Included in his vertical strength is a natural ability to back shoulder, good ball tracking skills and even though he struggles with contact usually, down the field on 50/50 balls he’s pretty good going after the ball. 

Other than the couple knocks I have on him, he has potential to round out his game pretty well and be a #1 receiver. But I expect him to be a good #2. I just think the weaknesses are pretty important ones and will limit him from being a volume pass catcher. 

If he ran outs and digs better and was a beast working through contact, he would have been a top 10 pick. But he has his couple warts in what is an otherwise pretty exciting profile. 

Sounds like Jeff Janis II.

• Like 3

18 hours ago, JordanLoveFTW said:

Take the next step when looking at Watson.  Forget about what he did in college.  Watch the Senior Bowl stuff to see the athlete against better competition.

Just because they didn't ask him to run slants doesn't mean he can't do it.

When I look at him, I don't see "thin".  Dude is over 200 pounds on a 6'4+ frame.  He looks really good.  Also, he can add 5-10 pounds of muscle yet and still be "lean and mean".

Regarding "boxing out".  Again, he never had to.  He was flat out running by double and triple teams.  He showed a good ability to box out at the Senior Bowl and his back shoulder stuff looked really natural for him.

Of course, I'm leading this hype train.  I can't remember when we've had this kind of athlete at WR to work with.  I want to say Walker, but this kid is quicker and maybe has more quick acceleration to go with the speed.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, JordanLoveFTW said:

Maybe that variety of slant works for him. That does happen sometimes. 

I’m still of the mind that we won’t see too much of it. Slants are usually tightly covered and contested. 

I think you’re remembering plays like Robert Brooks 99yd TD and thinking they’re more common than they are. They’re usually contested. Jerry Rice had a knack for being wide open on slants too. You don’t see a lot of it though. 

EDIT Brooks 99 yarder wasn’t a slant, but I have one of him burned in my memory on a slant route. 

It was a slant and go or a post to corner.  Either way, just an amazing play!

17 hours ago, JordanLoveFTW said:

I’ll stand corrected that he’s limited on the slants. For a few reasons you guys mentioned. 

It’s just that tight quarters slant that he’ll struggle with. 

Everyone struggles on slants in tight quarters.

I feel like he can do it, but we probably won't run a lot of them.

I'd rather see him on crossers.  Shallow and deep.  Let's let him get some speed across the field and set up the picket fence to block for him.

My two brothers-in-law are big NDSU fans (and Vikings fans.). Both said they were kinda surprised that Watson went that high.  One noted that he was good, but he hadn't thought he'd stood out that much; was surprised he went that high.  Other thought he was kinda, (he was reaching for the right word...) "kinda frail?" was what he came up with;  "kinda skinny".  Brother-in-law with the "frail/skinny" words also said "great hands"; given the faults the board has had regarding Watson's hands, that may perhaps speak more to my brother-in-laws clueless scouting than about Watson actually having good hands, and the same clueless scouting might apply to the "frail" perspective.  

These are just college NDSU fans, not NFL scouts.  But I think the "frail" and "skinny" comments are interesting.  We've had lots of comments to the effect that Watson is a blocker; but 205 pounds on a 6'5" guy, that is pretty slender.  He's got 8 inches on Amari but less weight.  Very different body types.  

Will be interesting to see how Watson absorbs the pounding of the NFL game.  Stretching high for the high balls and getting drilled?  Will he snap, or is he rubbery enough to take it all and bounce right back?  I have no clue.  

Also interesting to see what he'll do physique-wise moving forward?  Can/will he thicken up moving forward?  If so, can he do that without losing the speed and agility that made him the RAS darling to start with?  

On 5/18/2022 at 8:58 AM, vegas492 said:

Everyone struggles on slants in tight quarters.

I feel like he can do it, but we probably won't run a lot of them.

I'd rather see him on crossers.  Shallow and deep.  Let's let him get some speed across the field and set up the picket fence to block for him.

I want to see them get the ball in his hands on those quick hitters .. he looks like he has some great instincts with the ball in his hands.  Could be a YAC master.

Edited by {Family Ghost}

On 5/17/2022 at 8:46 PM, JordanLoveFTW said:

Like @vegas492I wouldn't call Watson 'thin bodied' considering he is over 6'4" tall. Look at the picture below, he does not have the build you expect of 6'4" player that is also as fast as he is. Really fast guys tend to be short guys with very fast leg-speed or taller 180lb types.

Jordy was listed at 6'3" 216, 4.51 (though it is possible Jordy could have run as fast as 4.45, early in his career). Watson is maybe 6lbs lighter and an inch taller. There is insufficient difference between the two players physique to call Jordy big-bodied and Watson thin bodied.

If you want a bigger (stronger) guys, you get a Burks or London.....and then you get A 4.55 40 time (or maybe slower with London), rather than a 4.35 time - and Watson's original combine time was 4.28 (adjusted down later).

I'd guess that boxing out is one of the innumerable things Watson will learn to do better with pro experience - he has the physique (height/weight) to be fine in that area, he just needs reps against NFL calibre defenders, which he never faced at college.

I'm not saying he should be running a ton of slants, just that I think he could do it well with a little experience.

?url=https%3A%2F%2Fforum-communications-production-web.s3.amazonaws.com%2Fbrightspot%2F4d%2F77%2F8f294ff74f6ebb0ddad224b2b2ad%2F032522.S.FF.BisonProDayWatson.04.jpg

Just as an aside (and not related to running slants), in the picture below,  look at how low he gets for a 6'4" guy when he cuts, which allows him to take sharper angles. With his speed, that's going to give defenders trouble.

032522.S.FF.BisonProDayWatson.06.jpg

Edited by OneTwoSixFive
  • Like 3