The Marvel Cinematic Universe- Robert Downey Jr. cast as Doctor Doom

Acgott

On 9/1/2023 at 6:21 PM, thrILL! said:

Looking fwd to s2 of What If?  but the rest is... rather underwhelming.

Sucks the delays took away the good film slate that was supposed to go along with it.

That said, aside from Echo, they all at least have my interest. Yahya as Wonderman has me excited, really enjoyed him whenever he pops up. Hahn and Plaza in Agatha. Daredevil on its own. I liked the girl they got for Riri, them doing supernatural stuff in that… Obadiah’s son,…could be good.

Though yeah the execution of late gives me a heavy pause on anything they do.

12 minutes ago, Kiltman said:

Sucks the delays took away the good film slate that was supposed to go along with it.

That said, aside from Echo, they all at least have my interest. Yahya as Wonderman has me excited, really enjoyed him whenever he pops up. Hahn and Plaza in Agatha. Daredevil on its own. I liked the girl they got for Riri, them doing supernatural stuff in that… Obadiah’s son,…could be good.

Though yeah the execution of late gives me a heavy pause on anything they do.

It's all too much. There's not a demand for half the shows they're making.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, seminoles1 said:

It's all too much. There's not a demand for half the shows they're making.

100% agree, hopefully this is it + whatever s2/3 they might do til we enter post Secret Wars. 

Like this plus Loki s3 and a Midnight Sons lite Moon Knight Season 2, which I’d look forward to way more.

I hope in the future they are ok just doing like a 90-100 minute specials and call it a day. 

• 2 weeks later...

Reported X-Men comic subscriptions/Shop buys fell 58% over the past year.

There is NOTHING to base movies off. Fall of X was horrid. Tie in 199k universes to the Multiverse. Plucking heros out randomly just to have a hero fall. Many dont count cause theyre from the future, so the original can be used again.

They need a Hardline "No More Mutants" reboot. Make them to have never exist, so time travel cant re-spawn a new one in 6 months. Cause theres nothing upcoming for a good while but Fall of X fallout. Theyll be no subscribers left anyway.

14 hours ago, PARROTHEAD said:

There is NOTHING to base movies off. Fall of X was horrid. Tie in 199k universes to the Multiverse. Plucking heros out randomly just to have a hero fall. Many dont count cause theyre from the future, so the original can be used again.

HoX-PoX was a straight up masterpiece but everything since then has been terrible. Krakoa was a great idea that they torpedoed shortly thereafter.  But there are decades worth of stories to pull from. 

1 hour ago, thrILL! said:
15 hours ago, PARROTHEAD said:

HoX-PoX was a straight up masterpiece but everything since then has been terrible. Krakoa was a great idea that they torpedoed shortly thereafter.  But there are decades worth of stories to pull from. 

To add to what thrILL! said, the MCU is generally pulling from about 10 years ago not what has been happening recently, or earlier than 10 years, so there is a lot. And HoX and PoX are great as well. Comics wise, probably does need another reset event, though. MCU doesn't face that same issue for bringing in X-Men with everything they can pull from, though I might avoid Dark Phoenix.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, thrILL! said:

Past material to pull from. But not much in moving forward. Theyre weaving this failure cast through the MU. Look at Ironman and Emma. That connection alone has discouraged a many Ironman fan and hurt his sales.

Sure they can follow Endgame right on up to HOX. But for after youd need all these franchises on the same timeline for movies and especially gaming going forward.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

This is part of a full overhaul of how Marvel is doing shows.

And I think that Daredevil was always going to be iffy. It could have been a perfectly solid show, but because it's Charlie Cox, he was Daredevil on the Netflix show. People will assume, whether right or not, that it's going to be more of the Netflix show or very close. So no matter what people will be disappointed because he's going to be variant one versus the one that they knew, most likely.

• Like 1

Sounds like a promising direction for them to pivot to going forward for Marvel on Disney+ at least

Some of the reports of what was shot/planned seemed like typical D+ edging, like him not even getting suited up til episode 4.

Do planned series for characters that aren’t going to really be movie tier, 90 minute specials when they have a good idea otherwise. 

What they were doing was exactly what Iger wanted, but glad they are aware of the room for improvement.

7 hours ago, The Gnat said:

And I think that Daredevil was always going to be iffy. It could have been a perfectly solid show, but because it's Charlie Cox, he was Daredevil on the Netflix show. People will assume, whether right or not, that it's going to be more of the Netflix show or very close. So no matter what people will be disappointed because he's going to be variant one versus the one that they knew, most likely.

If they’re going to overhaul the show, might as well recast everyone except maybe Vincent D’Onofrio as Kingpin.  Loved Charlie Cox in Boardwalk Empire but was he was underwhelming as Matt Murdock/Daredevil.  Get someone in with some gravitas as DD.  

Bradley Cooper would be absolutely perfect. Perhaps that’s a long shot or maybe he’s ready to step outside of the vocal booth to play a MCU character for real. Worth a phone call at least. 

9 hours ago, Acgott said:

But Born Again isn't the only Marvel project overgoing an overhaul. The Blade reboot is apparently being rewritten again:

Mahershala will be pushing wheelchair age by the time this comes out and clearly they don't know what to do with the property with all these complete rewrites and director/writer changes.