The Marvel Cinematic Universe- Robert Downey Jr. cast as Doctor Doom

Acgott

28 minutes ago, adamq said:

That is quite soon for us just now finding out about it, wow

Yeah it’ll have to shoot this fall probably into next year. Though F4 just started filming this week and comes out a year from now. So ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• Like 1

Full rundown 

New title for Fantastic 4, showed some prerecorded footage 

Harrison Ford hulking out on stage, Celestial Tiamut made of Adamantium, Giancarlo playing Sidewinder (leader of the Serpent Society

https://variety.com/2024/film/news/captain-america-brave-new-world-red-hulk-footage-cinemacon-1236084254/

Thunderbolts* teaser/footage, David Harbour showed up

Avengers 5 is Doomsday, RDJ makes his return for two films 

Secret Wars comes out a year later, Russo brothers returning to direct both Avengers films. McFeely returning to write both films as well.

Kevin Feige confirmed cast of Captain America 4, Thunderbolts* and Fantastic Four will be in Avengers: Doomsday and Avengers: Secret War

• Like 1

I like RDJ as much as the next old school MCU fan, but this just feels like a desperation move from a studio that is frantically trying to save its slowly dying universe, and knows that unlike the last several Avengers movies,  they dont have interesting enough heroes to carry it, so they are asking RDJ to carry them....again.   Hence "New Mask, Same Task".

Im sure it will help put more butts in the seats for those particular films, but just feels like a gimmick. 

Seriously....who the hell are the Avengers at this point?    Yeah, Fantastic 4 (yawn), probably Thor, maybe Hulk, Captain Falcon, and a few other characters that arent that popular at all?   Will they cram Spiderman in again even though it wouldnt make much sense? 

I always thought Chadwick Bosemans BP (RIP), Spiderman and Wolverine would frontline the new Avengers, but guess they have to settle for the B or C team.

• Like 2

Yeah, not a fan initially. Let's hope he distinguishes this from Stark.

Not being talked about as much, but this pretty much confirms Kang is not being recast and they're pivoting.

Please don't ruin Fantastic Four again. We have yet to have a quality adaptation of these characters with so many good runs/stories available. That's the movie I need to be awesome. 

I hope RDJ as Doom doesn't ignore the rivalry between him, and Richards. 

Edited by TecmoSuperJoe

1 hour ago, Kiltman said:

Fantastic Four footage leaked

Yeah I saw that. Seems like the very ending is more so concept-oriented. I'd be surprised to see him in the city at the end of the first film. Maybe a cut scene, but maybe not at all. 

8 hours ago, seminoles1 said:

Not being talked about as much, but this pretty much confirms Kang is not being recast and they're pivoting.

Kang: "I have to go now. My planet needs me."

Disney: Kang died on the way back to his home planet.

Edited by TecmoSuperJoe

8 hours ago, seminoles1 said:

Considering Kang Dynasty is now Doomsday, that's a safe bet.

Forgot about the What If story where Doom steals Tony's body after they were roommates in college instead of Reed, and Doom being roommates. Still a weird place to get Doom off the ground if inspiration is being taken from there.

I’m not a fan of using RDJ for Dr. Doom either. Wish they went with a fresh direction. Though as the Fantastic 4 is from a different universe, likely Doom is as well. A quick google search has a Doctor Doom/Kang combo in the comics, so maybe they are pulling from that. I still wish they kept them separate and especially from Iron Man.

https://marvel.fandom.com/wiki/Nathaniel_Richards_(Doctor_Doom)_(Earth-6311)

2 hours ago, Fresh Prince said:

Not sure why they couldn’t just recast Kang. Unless they had no faith in the storyline.

Probably. AntMan Quant really wasn't well done at all. I think that left a lot of bitterness for people regarding Kang.

14 hours ago, 43M said:

I like RDJ as much as the next old school MCU fan, but this just feels like a desperation move from a studio that is frantically trying to save its slowly dying universe, and knows that unlike the last several Avengers movies,  they dont have interesting enough heroes to carry it, so they are asking RDJ to carry them....again.   Hence "New Mask, Same Task".

Im sure it will help put more butts in the seats for those particular films, but just feels like a gimmick. 

Seriously....who the hell are the Avengers at this point?    Yeah, Fantastic 4 (yawn), probably Thor, maybe Hulk, Captain Falcon, and a few other characters that arent that popular at all?   Will they cram Spiderman in again even though it wouldnt make much sense? 

I always thought Chadwick Bosemans BP (RIP), Spiderman and Wolverine would frontline the new Avengers, but guess they have to settle for the B or C team.

13 hours ago, seminoles1 said:

10 hours ago, TecmoSuperJoe said:

Please don't ruin Fantastic Four again. We have yet to have a quality adaptation of these characters with so many good runs/stories available. That's the movie I need to be awesome. 

I hope RDJ as Doom doesn't ignore the rivalry between him, and Richards. 

2 hours ago, Acgott said:

I’m not a fan of using RDJ for Dr. Doom either. Wish they went with a fresh direction. Though as the Fantastic 4 is from a different universe, likely Doom is as well. A quick google search has a Doctor Doom/Kang combo in the comics, so maybe they are pulling from that. I still wish they kept them separate and especially from Iron Man.

https://marvel.fandom.com/wiki/Nathaniel_Richards_(Doctor_Doom)_(Earth-6311)

I’m going to keep an open mind on Doomsday since it is a comic storyline they’re pulling from.   

But leaking this, let alone displaying this at SDCC a full 2-3 years before release is unheard of.   ESP when we still have a FF movie in between.    That speaks to how desperate Feige & co are at trying to keep interest high.    There’s no chance this would have been leaked let alone revealed before the preceding setup movie was in theaters.    This would have been included as a post-credit trailer for the setup movie in phase 2-3.      

The unintended consequence if this reveal is that it automatically reduces the consequentiality of the upcoming FF movie.    That’s what makes the timing so curious.   

This could absolutely flame out.   Or they could make it work.   But it speaks to how little interest or enthusiasm the MCU is generating that Feige & co felt they needed to reveal this now.   

Edited by Broncofan
  • Like 1