> 2023 NFL Draft Prospects Thread <

Kiltman

25 minutes ago, ninjapirate said:

You used the pretense that drafting a running back made sense to the Eagles because of their foundation currently in place.

I pointed out that just isn't true so now you are shifting your argument. 

And yes I do believe the eagles should use pick 10 on defense or trade down. The eagles invest in their OL so that they dont have to invest in running back. It would be a waste of resources.

No drafting a worse player is a waste of resources 

25 minutes ago, ninjapirate said:

So over drafting a position with little value to makes the 1st ranked rushing attack 1ster isn't wasting resources?

Gotcha

Both of theses things are fundamentally untrue 

Bijian is a top 10 player in this draft on probably every single media draft board. 

I've watched Bijan in games, he doesn't look like he has fantastic speed, and doesn't look super shifty. He's good good vision, but he really doesn't look like the kind of dude who's going to make plays when there isn't an obvious hole there in the run game.

4 hours ago, ninjapirate said:

The chiefs were the first team in decades to win a super bowl with a first round pick rookie on their rookie contract. He didnt play in the game.

Someone's gotta be the first, someone's gotta be the second. Bijan and CEH are two different beasts. CEH had a first round to later in the second round grade. Bijan is a top 5-7 player at worst in this draft

Chiefs won the SB with Pacheco. Do we really have to keep talking about the limited value of a high drafted RB? You don’t need a 1st round talent RB. 

In fact, it’s proven detrimental to your long term goals. 

It’s less about talent and more about opportunity cost. Robbing yourself by drafting a RB with a premium pick is two fold. You A, miss out on taking a top flight talent at a more important position which will be relatively cheap for 5 years and B, it allocates too much money to a position of lesser value overall, taking precious resources from other positions. Not only that even, it is almost cap suicide giving those guys second contracts. If you’re fortunate enough to be in a position to draft a RB 1st round and have a mostly strong roster, that player has 5 years to hit his potential and help win a SB(s) before he’s ushered out. Drafting a QB, T, DE, CB, DT, much more important positionally, can help your team for a decade, potentially. Giving your team proper allocation of resources to maintain cap balance. 

It’s a luxury a pick. And more and more it’s a pick that dooms you more than helps you. Im not saying there’s never a time for it. But your team better be stacked most everywhere else and be in a favorable cap position before making that kind of roster and financial commitment. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, EaglesPeteC said:

You are comparing them by putting your typical end of round RB prospect in the same bucket as Bijian 

Bijian is an elite prospect in a draft with few elite prospects. The Eagles have the roster foundation and a high enough pick to make it work 

Exactly

All these other teams that took RBs weren't setup like us offensively. Chiefs are the only ones that had a sweet team when they pulled the trigger but like you said CEH is a lol when comparing to Bijan. 

Only one I can think of that was somewhat decent was the cowboys when they took Zeke. They didn't have a Hurts , AJ Brown , Devonta and a Goedert tho. They had a sweet OL like we do now

6 minutes ago, Jroc04 said:

Chiefs won the SB with Pacheco. Do we really have to keep talking about the limited value of a high drafted RB? You don’t need a 1st round talent RB. 

It’s less about talent and more about opportunity cost. Robbing yourself by drafting a RB with a premium pick is two fold. You A, miss out on taking a top flight talent at a more important position which will be relatively cheap for 5 years and B, it allocates too much money to a position of lesser value overall, taking precious resources from other positions. Not only that even, it is almost cap suicide giving those guys second contracts. If you’re fortunate enough to be in a position to draft a RB 1st round and have a mostly strong roster, that player has 5 years to hit his potential and help win a SB(s) before he’s ushered out. Drafting a QB, T, DE, CB, DT, much more important positionally, can help your team for a decade, potentially. Giving your team proper allocation of resources to maintain cap balance. 

It’s a luxury a pick. And more and more it’s a pick that dooms you more than helps you. Im not saying there’s never a time for it. But your team better be stacked most everywhere else and be in a favorable cap position before making that kind of roster and financial commitment. 

I agree with most of that but in this draft class there's not much I'd be jumping for joy for. CB is the only position I see worthy of #10 unless the right guy falls right to us.

Was just reading an article that was saying some of these top 10 guys would be picked in the backend of round 1 if it was any other year. Hard to say how accurate that is but it's not a good look

5 minutes ago, Jroc04 said:

The formula for sustained success at RB is at least day 2. There are definitely guys that hit day 3 and UDFA, but their staying power seems to wane. Always exceptions but going into day 3 expecting to find the starting RB for a couple years isn’t as easy to do.

There are important things to consider, vastly more data rd4-UDFA than say 1st round picks…let alone the busts. Opportunity, etc.

I’m firmly in the camp of if you are rebuilding phase 1, don’t take one in the first 3 rounds. By the time you get your Oline rolling you’ll have to pay the RB or they’ll be cooked.
If you have some pieces or have the oline, go ahead and take one day 2.

Taking one at #30 is fine, it’s well outside the 1st round talent pool. And if you can get one more cap controlled year great, since you have a lot of 2nd contract guys by then.

I’m not into the idea of taking one at #10 at all unless they are just devastatingly good, like an Adrian Peterson, Tomlinson. And the board makes it an obvious thing.

I will argue against the “Howie will never do it” thing though. Because Howie has almost seemed to use those notions to mask stuff the last few years and they do value a 3 skill guy there.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, EaglesFlySBChampsHigh said:

I agree with most of that but in this draft class there's not much I'd be jumping for joy for. CB is the only position I see worthy of #10 unless the right guy falls right to us.

Was just reading an article that was saying some of these top 10 guys would be picked in the backend of round 1 if it was any other year. Hard to say how accurate that is but it's not a good look

Then let someone trade up for your pick. Maximize the value. There’s always teams desperate to move up for valid and invalid reasons. Take advantage of them. Or get a disgruntled vet in a trade. I’m sure FOs have a thorough board and subsequent value on the prospects. I’d just simply punt to next year, obviously would need a team to cooperate but that’s what your FO team is for. Find teams that are willing to trade future picks for that pick today. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Kiltman said:

The formula for sustained success at RB is at least day 2. There are definitely guys that hit day 3 and UDFA, but their staying power seems to wane. Always exceptions but going into day 3 expecting to find the starting RB for a couple years isn’t as easy to do.

There are important things to consider, vastly more data rd4-UDFA than say 1st round picks…let alone the busts. Opportunity, etc.

I’m firmly in the camp of if you are rebuilding phase 1, don’t take one in the first 3 rounds. By the time you get your Oline rolling you’ll have to pay the RB or they’ll be cooked.
If you have some pieces or have the oline, go ahead and take one day 2.

Taking one at #30 is fine, it’s well outside the 1st round talent pool. And if you can get one more cap controlled year great, since you have a lot of 2nd contract guys by then.

I’m not into the idea of taking one at #10 at all unless they are just devastatingly good, like an Adrian Peterson, Tomlinson. And the board makes it an obvious thing.

I will argue against the “Howie will never do it” thing though. Because Howie has almost seemed to use those notions to mask stuff the last few years and they do value a 3 skill guy there.

I think there’s always a time and place. I believe Howie was very intrigued by McCaff. I still think it’s a mistake but a type of guy like that you can make a strong argument for. And I could see Howie doing something like that in the right situation. 

I agree though. Day two is the sweet spot. In my fantasy GM world, that’s the earliest I ever take a RB. If I’m on the board at 10 and someone’s calling to take the top 5 RB prospect, I’m taking all they’re offering.