> 2023 NFL Draft Prospects Thread <

Kiltman

20 minutes ago, Scalamania said:

Honestly, him in the first round is an overdraft. I have no doubts that he's a great athlete and that he interviews well but he's not a first round EDGE player and maybe we look for different things but the tape isn't all that great. I don't think he has the tools and/or size to win as a pass rusher in the NFL and I think he's going to be pretty underwhelming, much like Derek Barnett. 

It makes sense for Howie to select him because it seems like that's par for the course for our first round selections but I think everyone is caught up in the athlete/person Nolan Smith is (and maybe getting caught up in the belief that he could be the next Micah Parson) and ignoring the fact that he's just not a good EDGE rusher. Obviously I could wrong but he's one guy I don't think fairly highly of as a prospect and it's not because he went to UGA. 

Agree about Smith.

Personally, I would rather draft Keion White at 30.

Nolan Smith is a better off ball LB prospect than pass rush prospect. He's basically the same size as Trenton Simpson, and I don't see anyone looking at Simpson as a potential edge despite him also being a great athlete. Smith is a round 1 athlete with a round 3 or 4 skill set, and those skills are not rushing the passer.

Edited by Jeezla
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Kiltman said:

I was just thinking about a lot of what Howie said in the Kelce interview, they expect this guy to be a big part of their team for 6+ years. Hopefully filling in for your stalwart captains as they leave soon.

Type of dude Nolan is, can see them liking the idea of adding him to a young core on Defense.

hmm I thought he would say that they expect this guy to be a bust or leave after their fifth year option. 

I'm on the boat of Nolan Smith is an off the ball LB (which I don't hate) but not top 20 pick. 

Forget pick 10.

Who is everyone's top 3 wants for pick 30, assuming we make the pick?

Assume Adebawore, Kancey, McDonald, Sydney Brown, Ringo, Deonte Banks, Zay Flowers, and Jahmyr Gibbs all went just before our pick (and the obvious top guys like Bijan/Addison/JPjr are all long gone). Who do you hope the Eagles take at pick 30? Nolan Smith went 29th, so you can't pick him either.

Edited by Jeezla

14 minutes ago, Jeezla said:

Forget pick 10.

Who is everyone's top 3 wants for pick 30, assuming we make the pick?

Assume Adebawore, Kancey, McDonald, Sydney Brown, Ringo, Deonte Banks, Zay Flowers, and Jahmyr Gibbs all went just before our pick (and the obvious top guys like Bijan/Addison/JPjr are all long gone). Who do you hope the Eagles take at pick 30? Nolan Smith went 29th, so you can't pick him either.

Cam Smith, Brian Branch or Bresee. 

2 hours ago, Scalamania said:

Honestly, him in the first round is an overdraft. I have no doubts that he's a great athlete and that he interviews well but he's not a first round EDGE player and maybe we look for different things but the tape isn't all that great. I don't think he has the tools and/or size to win as a pass rusher in the NFL and I think he's going to be pretty underwhelming, much like Derek Barnett. 

It makes sense for Howie to select him because it seems like that's par for the course for our first round selections but I think everyone is caught up in the athlete/person Nolan Smith is (and maybe getting caught up in the belief that he could be the next Micah Parson) and ignoring the fact that he's just not a good EDGE rusher. Obviously I could wrong but he's one guy I don't think fairly highly of as a prospect and it's not because he went to UGA. 

Up front, there aren’t a lot of “first round talents” that have everything you want in this class. Especially when you take out the positions or guys the Eagles won’t have on their board.

But yeah I’m mainly pointing out that I think Howie, Nick and co will be very in on him. Like you compare him to like van Ness, it’s pretty clear what guy they would take.

I don’t see DB with him, DB never had the athleticism. Watching Smith he does have good technique, instinct and fundamentals, with plenty of room to grow with pass rushing moves. 

If we are indeed going towards a more two wide backer, edge guys that can mirror a defense he fits well and seemingly would have a pretty good opportunity to learn year one from Reddick/Pass and BG/Run, both of whom you are hoping he can turn into.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Kiltman said:

Up front, there aren’t a lot of “first round talents” that have everything you want in this class. Especially when you take out the positions or guys the Eagles won’t have on their board.

But yeah I’m mainly pointing out that I think Howie, Nick and co will be very in on him. Like you compare him to like van Ness, it’s pretty clear what guy they would take.

I don’t see DB with him, DB never had the athleticism. Watching Smith he does have good technique, instinct and fundamentals, with plenty of room to grow with pass rushing moves. 

If we are indeed going towards a more two wide backer, edge guys that can mirror a defense he fits well and seemingly would have a pretty good opportunity to learn year one from Reddick/Pass and BG/Run, both of whom you are hoping he can turn into.

But but but DB’s bend was supposed to get him a 10 year career. 

• Like 3

45 minutes ago, Kiltman said:

We'll have to agree to disagree here. I don't see it and I don't buy it with Smith. As others have pointed out he's more likely to be a better off-ball linebacker than he is an edge rusher. He's simply not a good enough prospect to be considered in the first round (in my eyes). I don't doubt that he's a guy Howie would like but that doesn't mean he's a good prospect, as evidenced by the majority of Howie's first round guys. 

Also, I don't think this needs to be said but I'm going to say it before someone piles on me - I'm not comparing DB and Nolan Smith as prospects or players, simply saying that's the type of NFL career I suspect he'll have. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Scalamania said:

Only 4 more years of disappointing play and boneheaded penalties to go before he reaches this!

He picked up one fumble and I’ll gladly do it all over again.  

Admittedly, I don’t mind him as much in a scaled down role. He just got hurt before he was really implemented that way. I would like someone else in a heavy rotation though. BG, Sweat, Barnett and a top end rookie or vet DE would be pretty solid. There’s a lot of guys out there still if they don’t draft one early. 

My latest mock from walkthemock.com for PHI via Default ranking

1:27 - EDGE Nolan Smith, Georgia 
1:30 - RB Bijan Robinson, Texas 
2:17 - CB Emmanuel Forbes, Mississippi State 
2:28 - NT Siaki Ika, Baylor 
3:11 - FS Sydney Brown, Illinois 
3:31 - LB DeMarvion Overshown, Texas 
4:9 - DL Jaquelin Roy, LSU 
4:28 - OT Nick Broeker, Ole Miss 
5:7 - TE Cameron Latu, Alabama 
5:17 - OT Warren McClendon, Georgia 
7:2 - LB Aubrey Miller Jr., Jackson St. 
7:31 - EDGE Viliami Fehoko, San Jose State 

Acquired via (DET): 1:18, 2:17, 5:17
Traded Away: 1:10
Acquired via (BUF): 1:27, 2:28, 4:28
Traded Away: 1:18
Acquired via (CLE): 3:11, 4:9, 5:7
Traded Away: 2:31

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, DeSean Jackson said:

Interesting stat, I see a lot of people here thinking Nolan will be dropping around 30. I think he will be a top 15 pick. He’s my second pass-rusher after will Anderson 

Just saw that too, was looking into some of that stuff the other day and listening to Howie talk the last couple days… just seems to fit.