2018 Draftable QB Discussion

candyman93

Josh Rosen or Sam Darnold?  

72 members have voted

1. 1. Josh Rosen or Sam Darnold?

• Josh Rosen
    • Sam Darnold

4 minutes ago, Mastercheddaar said:

I recently watched on Youtube videos on the top four QBs. My knee jerk reactions to them were the following:

Josh Rosen - Easily the most Pro ready QB in the draft. Great pocket presence, however, he did make some ??? throws that would have been picks in the NFL. Should be our pick at #1 but he already said, he doesn't want to be here in some many words. Never pick a player that doesn't NOT want to play for you. 

Sam Darnold - Again, good size and pocket presence yet he adds the dimension of throwing on the run just like Big Ben does. His footwork and throwing motion need a bit of fine tuning. He has big play explosive abilities. Also note he had no o-line. In games against good defenses his left tackle become a caution, floor is wet sign. 

Josh Allen - He looked a lot like Darnold. I really didn't watch much of him but after watching his video. I wouldn't be upset if we drafted him. He seems like he has a good football IQ. 

Baker Mayfield - He looks small. Makes good throws, scambles and such but I cannot get past how small he looked compared to the other three. Also note he has O Brown at LT blocking for him and a way better offense surrounding him as well. If you put Rosen, Allen, or Darnold on OU I'm sure they would have won it all. 

Conclusion - Don't draft Baker Mayfield. If we go Barkley and then Allen at #4 I would not be upset. 

That is all

mastercheddaar

Tend to agree with your thoughts, except on Josh Allen.

He just feels like an easy bust projection. There always seems to be that one dude most years that gets propped up with all the tools but not actually that good at the game in the most fundamental way such as accuracy. Gabbert, Locker etc.

14 minutes ago, freakygeniuskid said:

Do you remember Matt Ryan in college? Dude was a freaking gunslinger. Not Rosen-ish (elite 10-20 accuracy, meh deep ball) at all.

We will agree to disagree. I definitely remember BC Matt Ryan. Darnold has a much better arm.

1 minute ago, freakygeniuskid said:

Definitely not disagreeing with that. I'm talking style of play.

Yeah, ok, that makes more sense. Thanks for the clarification. I wasn't sure what you were saying, but that makes more sense. I would argue that Darnold is a little more athletic, but that's splitting hairs.

Besides, if he ended up being the next Matt Ryan, I'm drafting that with the #1 pick...although I suppose if Mayfield is the next Favre (I don't think so, but whatever), then I'm drafting that with the #1 pick as well.

1 hour ago, Aztec Hammer said:

Tend to agree with your thoughts, except on Josh Allen.

He just feels like an easy bust projection. There always seems to be that one dude most years that gets propped up with all the tools but not actually that good at the game in the most fundamental way such as accuracy. Gabbert, Locker etc.

With Allen if we get a good bridge QB, he could easily sit and learn. Aaron Rodgers was a QB that dropped into the later first round. They sat him and he is pretty good lol. 

But my address to the QB situation is Bridge QB and Darnold. 

That is all

Mastercheddaar

3 minutes ago, Mastercheddaar said:

With Allen if we get a good bridge QB, he could easily sit and learn.

We agree on a LOT of things. This is not even close to one of them. If I had to bet everything that I owned on one guy being a bust, it would be him.

Aaron Rodgers was a QB that dropped into the later first round. They sat him and he is pretty good lol. 

I still can't believe that he fell. There were a few reasons:

He was "only 6'2", which in 2003/2004 was a HUGE deal, and he had a robotic throwing motion/arm slot.

However, he was a very accurate passer in college, with a big arm, that beat quality opponents (NC Winner USC for one). People bashed him as another Jeff Tedford QB and the system that he played in.

But my address to the QB situation is Bridge QB and Darnold. 

I so hope that this is the case.

1 hour ago, Mastercheddaar said:

If you put Rosen, Allen, or Darnold on OU I'm sure they would have won it all. 

It's possible I guess but they weren't there so OU had to settle for the walk on Heisman winner. I get projecting other players to be better going into the pros but to have a list of multiple current college QBs who could have done better than having the two highest pass efficiency seasons in college football history over the past two years just comes off as ridiculous.

40 minutes ago, Thomas5737 said:

It's possible I guess but they weren't there so OU had to settle for the walk on Heisman winner. I get projecting other players to be better going into the pros but to have a list of multiple current college QBs who could have done better than having the two highest pass efficiency seasons in college football history over the past two years just comes off as ridiculous.

^^^^^^

There’s always been a lot of guys more talented than Baker Mayfield, just not many who are actually better at playing football.

2 hours ago, Mastercheddaar said:

.... If you put Rosen, Allen, or Darnold on OU I'm sure they would have won it all. 

That is all

mastercheddaar

I don’t know how you can say that tho. Mayfield didn’t hold back Oklahoma from winning a title. They made it that far because of him. Putting up 40+ points in UGA wasn’t no small feet. When that game went to OT for someone reason he playcalling went away from having the ball in your heisman winner’s hands. To say OU wins it all with one of those other three QBs is crazy talk

32 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

^^^^^^

There’s always been a lot of guys more talented than Baker Mayfield, just not many who are actually better at playing football.

I don’t know if I would even say there are a lot of guys who are more talented. Dude is talented just got over looked for some reason coming out of HS. To do what he did, shows he has talent and is damn good at playing football. 

1 hour ago, Thomas5737 said:

Not saying Mayfield wasn't a good college QB but he had a better team around him than Darnold or Rosen had. O brown at LT blocking for Mayfield helped him greatly with those 2 seasons. Darnold had a subway turnstile. 

A good college QB is all Mayfield is going to be. I went back and watched his throws from last season. He looked small compared to everyone else. Reminded me of how IT looks on the court  with the Cavs. I want nothing to do with him. 

That is all

Mastercheddaar

I agree with you Mastercheddar.

Though I think hypothetically switching players across college teams is a waste of time.

Baker Mayfield was a fantastic fit for Oklahoma and ran their offense superbly. I'm also glad that Darnold and Rosen played for USC and UCLA and had awful o-lines (Rosen both years, Darnold second year). I'm sure that has helped them to craft a style of football around it. Rosen in terms of getting the ball out on time and with anticipation and Darnold seems to have developed an innate sense for first step avoidance of free rushers, as well as overall good rush evasion skills as a result.

5 hours ago, CWood21 said:

I'm sure it wasn't the intent but a Peyton Manning comparison for Sam Darnold is pretty bad.  He's closer to Eli Manning if you want to compare him to a Manning.

I wasn't making the comparison. I was stating a scenario where bruce would stop watching the Browns if they drafted a hall of fame QB.

Archived