2023 NFL Draft Talk

lumberjackchris

Just now, LORK88 said:

Completely agree. I think the coaching staff also knows they have some time and can take their time to make sure they get their guy. It's also why Bijan at 12 is a possibility if he doesn't go to Atlanta or Philly. I would hate to wait on a QB myself because we can't keep kicking the can down the road. 

@LORK88 If you do know, can you share if there is any legit interest in Trey Lance?  Or have you heard anything in regards to Texans trying to acquire him?  Slowick would / should know a lot about him

46 minutes ago, Pastor Dillon said:

Why is everyone so low on Lance.? He sat his rookie year and then suffered an injury that cost him his second year. 

is it injury concerns? 

It’s bc he’s barely played any football the last 3 years and doesn’t have a lot of experience passing the ball at the college level or pro level. He only played 1 or 2 games his last college season because they canceled his conferences game. He was also gifted the job over Jimmy G last year instead of winning it outright and the only game he started in 2022 he looked terrible. 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, ObotimusPrime said:

It’s bc he’s barely played any football the last 3 years and doesn’t have a lot of experience passing the ball at the college level or pro level. He only played 1 or 2 games his last college season because they canceled his conferences game. He was also gifted the job over Jimmy G last year instead of winning it outright and the only game he started in 2022 he looked terrible. 

2022 - you mean the Chicago game in the monsoon?  I don't see any QB doing well under those conditions & he got hurt in the 2nd game.

I would defer to our coaches. If they want Lance and 49ers are willing to deal (reasonably), I am all for it

Edit: found a clip

Edited by jch1911
  • Like 1

It's something to be said and proud of that the Texans may end up with the top prospect in the draft in Anderson if they stay at 2. And Bijan at 12 is possibly in the argument as the best. 

And the most important position on the field will still not be settled. QB. History says always go BPA. 

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, ET80 said:

@jch1911 - let’s effing go: Anderson at 2, Anthony Richardson at 5 (trade up with Seattle).

I’m all in. That’s my final wishlist.

haha! I like ARich, but I gotta think Lions or Seahawks or Falcons are going up to 3 to get him (if we take Anderson at 2).

My order is 

BY > Lance > ARich

• Like 1

13 hours ago, LORK88 said:

Completely agree. I think the coaching staff also knows they have some time and can take their time to make sure they get their guy. It's also why Bijan at 12 is a possibility if he doesn't go to Atlanta or Philly. I would hate to wait on a QB myself because we can't keep kicking the can down the road. 

I don't think the Texans aren't taking Bijan in the first round. The niners spend resources at RB because Kyle gets fixated on guys. 

I think Bobby and DeMeco are smart enough to know they can get production from a lot of RBs and that they need to build up the defense. You quite simply need great athletes on defense these days. The Texans need cornerstone, foundational defenders. Those guys get drafted in the first 2 rounds. 

Kyle passed on Watson and mahomes. He thought he was going to sign Kirk cousins the following year and would build the DL in the meantime. Well, Solomon Thomas busted and mahomes is basically the greatest QB in history. Even if Solomon Thomas was myles Garrett, it was a huge mistake to pass on Mahomes. DeMeco was there when that decision was made. 

#12 is still plenty high to get a cornerstone defensive player. Passing on QB this year is really having zero plan at QB. Eventually the idea is that the roster is too good to pick in the top 5. 

I think DeMeco will ultimately make the decision that he needs to swing for a top QB. If it doesn't work out then you just swing again. The reward warrants the risk and the opportunity cost of not getting a DE. 

DeMeco knows there is no defense for the perfect pass and I can't think of a QB prospect with better accuracy and ball placement than stroud. He is a very good scheme fit and I think he will have no trouble executing the offense. 

This was a great breakdown:

TLDR: my gut says DeMeco say Kyle Shanahan pass on Mahomes to go DL and will take a shot on a QB at #2

• Like 1

13 hours ago, jch1911 said:

My order is 

BY > Lance > ARich

I’m in on Trey Lance because there is upside - but even if that doesn’t manifest, you could hit the ejector seat on him quicker than you could the rookies. So if you’re in position for Caleb in ‘24, you don’t feel compelled to stick with your young guy.

This being said, I think Lance is going to Minnesota for Cousins (there’s probably a package of picks in there). Shanny has never hid his love for Cousins…

27 minutes ago, ET80 said:

I’m in on Trey Lance because there is upside - but even if that doesn’t manifest, you could hit the ejector seat on him quicker than you could the rookies. So if you’re in position for Caleb in ‘24, you don’t feel compelled to stick with your young guy.

This being said, I think Lance is going to Minnesota for Cousins (there’s probably a package of picks in there). Shanny has never hid his love for Cousins…

Not this year, he ain't.   Cousins restructured his contract this off-season to help Vikes make cap room IIRC.  The dead $$$ has probably got to be north of $35M.

That being said, I don't think Lance gets dealt this year at all because (1) Purdy's injury & (2) 49ers can see if he is the guy they invested all those resources in.

But a brotha can hope he ends up in the Battle Red this year! ;) 

• Like 2