2023 NFL Draft Talk

lumberjackchris

35 minutes ago, LORK88 said:

If there's a day 3 QB happening, it's Aidan O'Connell. I also know the Texans love Tyree Wilson so if not trading up to 3, it could be trade up to 5-8 range for him. 

Ugh… I know you’re a Texas Tech dude, but… woof, I’m getting Solomon Thomas vibes with Wilson. 

I think Wilson would upset me more than Will Levis would.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Texansfan713 said:

Wilson over Anderson would be Travon Walker over Aidan Hutchinson again. It would be way worse since Anderson is a much better prospect than Hutchinson. 

And Wilson isn’t half the prospect Walker was. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dr A W Niloc said:

I am warming up to the idea of Will Anderson at #2 but IMHO coming out of Round #1 without a QB is not a serious option.

Our disagreement on Will Levis notwithstanding, I agree wholeheartedly. A QB room of Davis Mills, Case Keenum and a non-FRP at QB signals another season of no hope, and that’s not what this franchise can afford to sell at this point.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, ET80 said:

A QB room of Davis Mills, Case Keenum and a non-FRP at QB signals another season of no hope, and that’s not what this franchise can afford to sell at this point.

The upshot of free agency and having the most draft capital, concurrent with problems in the other AFC-South franchises, is a dramatic rise in expectations among normally pessimistic Texan fans.  Great to see! 

I don't care whether Levi or Hooker is their franchise guy at #12.  The arithmetic remains the same:

Anderson + Hooker/Levis > Stroud + JSN/whoever

Against NFL defenses Stroud figures to be a disaster with an [Arizona or Indianapolis] offense that may be an actual downgrade from Ohio State's.  His adjusted completion rate (58th, 30+ rungs worse than Young, Levis, and Hooker), coupled with the receiver drop rate (5.9%, best among the top 5 QBs), is a huge red flag.  In contrast, for Hooker or Levis, Houston's O-Line and WRs rate to be massive, died-and-gone-to-heaven upgrades over Tennessee/Kentucky.

Needless to say, if Young is there at #2 I'd grab him.

1 hour ago, ET80 said:

Our disagreement on Will Levis notwithstanding, I agree wholeheartedly. A QB room of Davis Mills, Case Keenum and a non-FRP at QB signals another season of no hope, and that’s not what this franchise can afford to sell at this point.

I wouldn't necessarily trip if they dont draft a QB in the 1st but I would need to know the plan. Going into another season with Davis Mills just wouldn't be good for anyone. When you have your LT and others on the team campaigning for other QB's on social media, you know Mills isnt that guy. 

• Like 4

21 minutes ago, Blaze said:

I wouldn't necessarily trip if they dont draft a QB in the 1st but I would need to know the plan. Going into another season with Davis Mills just wouldn't be good for anyone. 

My only reasoning for this is because the rest of this QB class is realistically worse than Davis Mills - there is no Derek Carr or Andy Dalton in this class from what I can see, the quality of QB significantly drops outside of the top 5. I would even go as far to say there’s not a project QB in this class - there are five guys who can turn into starter-type QBs, and the rest are pretty much backup quality at the next level (maybe there’s an unseen glow-up type like Brock Purdy with one of these guys, but you don’t really uncover that until they’re already in your program and picking up the system).

21 minutes ago, Blaze said:

When you have your LT and others on the team campaigning for other QB's on social media, you know Mills isnt that guy. 

This is very much slept on in terms of what the Texans need to do - these aren’t just Xs and Os, these are people who want to win football games. We’ve seen a locker room mutiny against an FO; Let’s not pretend we can now hand wave that away because DeMeco is in the building, guys will lose faith (again) if poor decisions lead to punting on another year in their ever-dwindling careers. (Not drafting a QB is punting on another year, for the record).

Ultimately, the Texans need to swallow their pride, give David Mulagheta a call and explain to him that Easterby is gone and the complaints that Deshaun Watson had with this organization is no longer a concern, and that CJ Stroud won’t have the same concerns as a Texan. If they can’t do that, they need to ensure that Bobby Slowik has everything he needs to coach up Anthony Richardson or Hendon Hooker.

(Or… gaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhh… Will Levis). 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, ET80 said:

My only reasoning for this is because the rest of this QB class is realistically worse than Davis Mills - there is no Derek Carr or Andy Dalton in this class from what I can see, the quality of QB significantly drops outside of the top 5. I would even go as far to say there’s not a project QB in this class - there are five guys who can turn into starter-type QBs, and the rest are pretty much backup quality at the next level (maybe there’s an unseen glow-up type like Brock Purdy with one of these guys, but you don’t really uncover that until they’re already in your program and picking up the system).

This is very much slept on in terms of what the Texans need to do - these aren’t just Xs and Os, these are people who want to win football games. We’ve seen a locker room mutiny against an FO; Let’s not pretend we can now hand wave that away because DeMeco is in the building, guys will lose faith (again) if poor decisions lead to punting on another year in their ever-dwindling careers. (Not drafting a QB is punting on another year, for the record).

Ultimately, the Texans need to swallow their pride, give David Mulagheta a call and explain to him that Easterby is gone and the complaints that Deshaun Watson had with this organization is no longer a concern, and that CJ Stroud won’t have the same concerns as a Texan. If they can’t do that, they need to ensure that Bobby Slowik has everything he needs to coach up Anthony Richardson or Hendon Hooker.

(Or… gaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhh… Will Levis). 

With all of this said, @LORK88 what are you hearing?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Blaze said:

With all of this said, @LORK88 what are you hearing?

Outside of Bryce Young, the Texans aren't sold on any of the other QBs. They're keeping their options open all over where they could trade back up for a QB or not take one all together in the first round. The approach is basically BPA for this draft. Keep in mind, they come from SF where the built everything around defense and running the ball so they have no problem skipping QB all together or taking a flyer on a day 3 QB. Again, everything is on the table at this point and will react to what happens in front of them. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, LORK88 said:

Outside of Bryce Young, the Texans aren't sold on any of the other QBs. They're keeping their options open all over where they could trade back up for a QB or not take one all together in the first round.

Ugh… I get the 49ers way, but the AFC is different. You gotta have a QB to get out of the wildcard round.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, ET80 said:

Ugh… I get the 49ers way, but the AFC is different. You gotta have a QB to get out of the wildcard round.

Completely agree. I think the coaching staff also knows they have some time and can take their time to make sure they get their guy. It's also why Bijan at 12 is a possibility if he doesn't go to Atlanta or Philly. I would hate to wait on a QB myself because we can't keep kicking the can down the road. 

• Like 1